Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

*** PLEASE HELP: Covid19 Philanthropy Options ***

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
edited March 23 in Wolfpack Sports
If you are looking for help fighting this virus here's a list of vetted charities to consider donating to.  Please share this info with friend and family as you see fit. 
  1. Red cross desperately needs blood donations!
  2. Locally support Wake Med Covid19 Response Fund
  3. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Covid19 Response Fund
  4. Christian Organization Samaritan's Purse Covid19 Response Fund
Also ALL revenue generated from PFN affiliate link to the left side of the page will be donated to Wake Med's fund (#2 listed above).  Thanks for any help, fellas.

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,793
    UPDATE.....THINGS TO DO.... and HOW TO HELP....

JoAnn's the fabric shop, is cutting (or has volunteers) that will supply your (via the proverbial 10 Ft pole walked to your car, mask supplies to be sewn. 

Don't know if they include the thread or no.  SO, if you are a seamstress or know one....then that is a way to be diverted....as well as help out.

Wife is checking with the one in Cary and she sews a bunch....
  • Don't forget about the local things you can do.  Our church is delivering hot meals to the elderly since the senior center is shut down. You can also use some of your free time (if you are at home instead of at work) to reconnect with those you've been meaning to call - especially those who don't have a lot of family to check in on them. Be smart and stay safe Wolfpack Nation.
    edited March 25
    Don't forget about the local things you can do.  Our church is delivering hot meals to the elderly since the senior center is shut down. You can also use some of your free time (if you are at home instead of at work) to reconnect with those you've been meaning to call - especially those who don't have a lot of family to check in on them. Be smart and stay safe Wolfpack Nation.
    HELP....I can't delete of get out....OK....a little distorted....but here goes. [Troll fixed for ya]

Wolf, 
    Our church as a slightly older population.  Maybe 25% of our donations are "plate" cash in envelopes....or just CASH.

If anyone is of that method, then I would remind them to SEND IN A CHECK.

My method is probably unique...and I think that I am one of the few that send a quarterly donation via my RMD as the church gets the FULL donation and I don't have to pay extra taxes on what I don't need.

BOTTOM LINE....encourage older family members that typically MIGHT give to either write checks and mail them in or arrange for drop off.

I WOULD tell you that there has been a rash of MAIL theft in the triangle...fortunately, due to our size or maybe our MO, we were NOT impacted.  A large Methodist church is a suburb of the "area" lost over 50% of their check donations via mail theft....
  • 89BABS89BABS Posts: 59
    Here's a possible charity that should be near and dear to everyone on this site.  Not sure how well run it is, but I'd be willing to bet it's not problematic at all.  
    Corona Virus Tax Relief now allows up to $300 in deductions for tax year 2020.  This includes taxpayers who use the standard deduction....

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/coronavirus-stimulus-bill-new-charitable-deduction-2020-3

I verified this a few places.  However, as always, check with your financial advisor and/or tax professional....