Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

PFN is looking for legit and efficient Coronavirus charities

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
Boys, I'm wanting to use PFN to do some good and need your help.  My idea is to have a banner at the top of PFN, similar to the ones for the games, that links directly to some charities that readers may choose to donate to.

I need some help from our community identifying legitimate charities that folks can donate via online funding (social distancing philanthropy for the win) and that are going to be most efficient with the money they receive.

My personal preference would be a charity to help our local folks who are going to be severely impacted financially as well as charity that we can donate that goes to help health care workers on the front line.

These may or may not exist at the moment, or we may see something pop up soon in the near future.  Please use this thread to help me identify some charities so I can look into them so we can help.  Other ideas and discussion on this topic are welcome.

Comments

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 2,243
    This is a great thought. 

On the same topic, I know some NBA players catch flack, but Giannis and Zion are donating funds to help arena employees through this crisis. That is really good stuff. 

• Wolfblood86Wolfblood86 Posts: 392
    Cool idea. I'll be sure the my eyes opened. Of course at these times, there will be plenty of scammers. Sad but true. Not that there aren't plenty of these parasites trying year round. Working at a financial institution I'm exposed to it more so than the general public. 
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 2,243
    Yes, scammers are out there. There was a fake coronavirus tracking site that did some harm. 
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 447
    I don't know if they set up anything specific for coronavirus, but the United Methodist Women's relief fund uses 100 percent of donations for actually helping people. The church covers all admin costs.
  • turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 136
    how about the Krispy Kreme Challenge?

The Krispy Kreme Challenge is an annual charity event in which participants run a 5 miles (8.0 km) road course leading to a Krispy Kreme Doughnuts shop, eat one dozen doughnuts (totaling 2,400 calories and 144 grams of fat), and run back to the finish line in under 1 hour. The event began in 2004 and is still planned and executed by Park Scholars at North Carolina State University in Raleigh N.C.

https://give.unc.edu/donate?p=PROM&s=MEDFOT18QAVU39

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,629
    My wife is teaching in a Title 1 (economically disadvantaged) school for the 11th consecutive year. When schools are closed, most of those kids are missing two meals a day. Many of their parents are having their already limited incomes reduced or interrupted. I would suggest working with your local food pantry or school district as they work on ways to get food to these children who rely on the school lunch program. 
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,073
    Tex, I heard someone had an idea about using school buses to deliver food which would definitely help some of those folks.  Not sure how to support that though.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,793
    Sort of related.  The GSOC complex donated ALL the food stocked up for the remainder of the ACCT to the Greensboro (Triad?) Out Of The Garden Project.  All sliced and prepared...it went immediately to feed 1000 or more children.

Our church has adopted a nearby school with a semi international mix as well as some “in need” children.  We do food back packs and also deliver.

We donate real items, but some of the classes also fund fresh produce and perishable purchase.

I would look to my local area for Churches and Civic organizations that do local projects.  Typically NO OVERHEAD so 100% goes to the folks in need.  The bigger they are and the more they advertise, the more Leary.  V foundation is my exception....
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
    If Bill Gates creates a charity I'll link to that one.  His charities are run like a business.  Most bang for the buck and every dollar used to save as many lives as possible.  He does thorough data analysis to ensure that is the case.

Their foundation does a little bit of everything, but here's what their foundation is up to as it relates to covid19:

I'll need to parse through that to see if there's some way we can help out.

I sent a note directly to the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation to see what's best way to help with funding therapeutics research and development.  Awaiting their response.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,577PFN Referee
    Samaritans purse is helping like they normally do in times of disaster.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241269666.html
    Thanks, for info frosh and others.. For now I've put a link up to WHO covid19 solidarity fund on the front page banner.. still have not heard anything from Gates foundation. 

For those on mobile that won't see the banner, the WHO fund and it's information can be found here:

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,577PFN Referee
    So are the people donating blood being checked for the coronavirus19?
  • pakfanistanpakfanistan Posts: 338
    Supporting the scientific effort is great, but also consider supporting the local humanitarian efforts like foodbanks and local charities to support people who have been put out of work by all of this.  
    Supporting the scientific effort is great, but also consider supporting the local humanitarian efforts like foodbanks and local charities to support people who have been put out of work by all of this.  
    Agreed.
    So are the people donating blood being checked for the coronavirus19?
    I'm not sure how that works.. probably not due to lack of tests.  Not as many people wanting to be around other people right now so I would guess many regular donors may be isolating as well and fearful of going out to give blood.
    Gates foundation got back to me...

This discussion has been closed.