Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

As The Sports World Goes Dark, What Will We Do?

Comments

• BasspackerBasspacker Posts: 215
    The next pandemic outbreak will be morning sickness.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 2,087
    Your choice whether you choose to take this seriously, or not, but your post is not substantive to the topic. 
  • Wolfblood86Wolfblood86 Posts: 390
    Well I can get the ball rolling!

Anyone seen any good movies lately? Last movie my wife and I saw was Call of the Wild. It was cute. I can't understand why they would spend $100+ million to make it. It's definitely going to lose money. I guess the question will be if people will still go out to view movies in the near future anyways. There were only 2 other people in the theater for Call. 

Been playing Far Cry 5 lately which might be appropriate at these times without the major religious overtones. Although people are calling for prayers at this and making the virus about religion. Never played a Far Cry game before but I always heard good things and I downloaded for like $15. You can't beat that. I rarely pay full price for games anymore. Wait just a few months to a year they go down in price quickly. 

Rumors are Sony may be rebooting/reviving Silent Hill. That would be awesome. The atmosphere and psychological mind games of those games is amazing. Different developers of course but RE2 remake was great. RE3 looks to deliver again with an even more intense enemy in Nemesis.

Yay video games for the win at social distancing!  :) I've been social distancing myself before it was cool!  :D haha
    The Suns are playing the rest of their games on NBA2K. Kind of cool. 

I’m doing a lot of reading, spring cleaning, and watching channels like MLB Network, Golf Channel, and ESPN Classic. I am very grateful for those channels. 
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 321
    Youtube 60's/70's music and Wolfpack Sports classics (yes, there are a few!).
  • Wolfblood86Wolfblood86 Posts: 390
    Wulfpack - I saw that NBA2K had a glitch when games were suspended in an article. I think people play the games as they happen in real life which is really cool but I don't buy games full price. More power to anyone that is into doing this and dropping $60 every year to get the newest NBA game. The concept is interesting to me. 
    As far as cleaning goes, we just got a new robot vacuum for cheap. Not a Roomba. It's crazy how much dirt and cat hair (2 orange cat house here) that little sucker can find even AFTER cleaning up. We upgraded from an old one that just randomly went where ever to one that maps out where it has been and vacuums in lines like when you're mowing the grass. We can really tell a difference. 
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,607PFN Referee
    I might just fall back down the Everton mid-80s rabbit hole.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,465PFN Referee
    The next pandemic outbreak will be morning sickness.
    I think this is not only funny but spot on to the subject. 
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 712
    Will all these memes about social distancing, Mo from The Three Stooges was obviously ahead of his time with his "Spread Out" bit  

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,030
    2 posts coming up, here’s post 1.

This is a pretty decent article, but author can’t quite help himself.

His comments about the hardworking zamboni drivers, ushers, servers, secretaries and bartenders etc. that hopefully “their bosses will take care of them until things return to normal” reveals a child’s understanding of the real world (or perhaps a journalist’s understanding). Most bosses of small businesses have pretty thin margins, they can’t afford this shutdown much better than the a lot of these workers. Hint: It’s not necessarily up to the boss if they keep their job when they get shut down for 2 months.

His comment:

Obsessing on sports is a non-partisan affair, unless you are a NASCAR fan is exactly why America is so divided. Here’s a guy who can’t suppress HIS partisanship long enough to get in a dig. 

What a hypocrite.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,030
    Post 2:

I found yard work and gardening much more enjoyable than the grocery store. The grocery store wasn’t good. People weren’t friendly, they were scared. Totally understandable.

OTOH, last year, I planted a garden with little clue...I had carrots left over and dug them up. This was actually an enjoyable experience. Prepping my garden, seeing something I could eat. All this while I was listening to Mardi Gras Pandora. Actually brought pure joy to my heart for one moment. These are the things that we have to do to let sports fill the void.

The author does correctly note that Sports has been a constant in our lives. But we will have to return more time tested methods at least in the short term.
  • turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 86
    well, we could post more.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 307
    edited March 15
    Seems to me that a lot of people like sports not because it is an obsession but because it is a nice way to relax or they just like to follow how their favorite team is doing.  I wouldn't call that an obsession.  I for one can go an entire baseball season without watching many games and just weekly look to see how my favorite teams are doing.  Other years I might get more into it.  But, then again, my daily life doesn't rotate around sports.

Of course, my only sports "obsession" is NC State sports.  Even then, it isn't a 365 day thing.
    edited March 15
    Following the pandemic will replace the ncaa basketball tournament. Hopefully though it will not be the new march madness.
  • BasspackerBasspacker Posts: 215
    edited March 15
    Wulfpack said:
    Your choice whether you choose to take this seriously, or not, but your post is not substantive to the topic. 

My post was very meaningful and directly relates! You ask "what will people do"...its pretty obvious now that there is no sports to watch and everyone will be at home more.  The oldest participation sport known to man.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,191
    Wulfpack said:

My post was very meaningful and directly relates! You ask "what will people do"...its pretty obvious now that there is no sports to watch and everyone will be at home more.  The oldest participation sport known to man.
    I had quipped the same line to our ACCT Caravan as we were watching the cancellations unfold and taking a vote as to whether to shut down on Thursday and head on home.  The average age of that group is probably close to 60 - 65.  The response was fascinating.....  The birth rate spikes have been plotted for most events lasting at least overnight.  The NYC and New England power blackout that lasted maybe 24 - 48 hours was so evident that even Jamie Luckie could read the charts.  Same for 911...

Repopulating will result.... but you will have to look at a longer timeframe as it will be spread over at least a month....possibly two.

I won't be able to contribute to the spike as my prostate was removed.....but I can also still participate in the games.....i just get a participating trophy.....

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,191
    Got a cartoon.....don't know how to paste it in.....

Report from Avid Sports Fan....

Day 2 without any REAL LIVE sports on ESPN.  Found this lady sitting on my sofa.  Figured out she must be my wife.  Seems like a nice person... :)
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,269
    Watched an episode (half so far) Basketball A Love Story. It was about the ‘74 team ending the UCLA dynasty, Bobby Knight, the ABA merger and how David Thompson was a big key. Interesting stuff. The biggest winner in the merger?  The owners of the St Louis Spirits. 
  • PIRPIR Posts: 93
    For those who have the 24/7 sports channels, what are they doing with no sports? Are they showing ping-pong matches? Bowling? Can't even play poker (aka pass the virus) I suppose. I guess for a little while they can talk all day about all the things not happening, but eventually you have to talk about something that is happening. IMO 24/7 sports channels are barely sustainable even with lots of live sports due to their programming format - I'm not a fan of watching show after show of people giving their opinion. Will the public tune in to listen to "personalities" discuss sports when there is no sports?
  • PIRPIR Posts: 93
    Following the pandemic will replace the ncaa basketball tournament. Hopefully though it will not be the new march madness.
    I wonder if betting on the virus will replace sports betting. Note, I don't condone the idea and think it's a pretty awful one, but then again, so are people at times. 
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,269
    PIR said:
    For those who have the 24/7 sports channels, what are they doing with no sports? Are they showing ping-pong matches? Bowling? Can't even play poker (aka pass the virus) I suppose. I guess for a little while they can talk all day about all the things not happening, but eventually you have to talk about something that is happening. IMO 24/7 sports channels are barely sustainable even with lots of live sports due to their programming format - I'm not a fan of watching show after show of people giving their opinion. Will the public tune in to listen to "personalities" discuss sports when there is no sports?
    Golf Channel showing a lot of Shell’s Wonderful World of Golf. Gene Littler vs Byron Nelson as I scrolled through once this weekend. 

ESPN family showing old MBB games and documentaries. 
    PIR said:
    I wonder if betting on the virus will replace sports betting. Note, I don't condone the idea and think it's a pretty awful one, but then again, so are people at times. 
    Sadly, I would imagine that betting odds have already been set since numbers are involved although I am not sure whose numbers they would agree to use. 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,806PFN Referee
    I haven't watched sports live in years though, so this doesn't change much for me.  I'll just stream something or read if I want some digital unwind time.
    MLB opening day pushed further back at least until the middle of May.