Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Coronavirus now in Wake County

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,851PFN Referee
edited March 3 in Wolfpack Sports
***REMINDER: NO PARTISAN POLITICS***

Great resources:

If anybody here knows which city in Wake County the patient is from that would be great information to share.  Of course media does not say and also does not say WHEN the flight back from Washington occurred.  That'd be too pertinent.  Not that it matters much, I think it's pretty much all over the place now.

I'm of opinion we should have been social distancing week or two ago across the country and I believe we are in for a rough few months ahead.  Aside from travel bans the US seems to have taken for the most part a reactive approach thus far rather than preventative approach.  I'm also of opinion this can't be contained at this stage anymore either.. it's just going to run it's course like the flu is allowed to do.  Best case scenario is that hospitalization cases can be spread out over time.

Please feel free to share any other links and resources available about this virus.

Comments

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,311PFN Referee
    We're all in this together........
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 452
    From WSOC TV in Charlotte:

'Officials said the person from Wake County had traveled to Washington state and was exposed to a long-term care facility there at the center of an outbreak.'

Seems to be a nexus for the Washington state virus outbreak...

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,930
    It won’t surprise me if March madness is played in front of empty arenas. As humans are apt to do, we went from whistling through the graveyard to total panic.
  • PackPACPackPAC Posts: 409
    As a PA for 20 years, 17 of those in Emergency Medicine this is finally a topic I can speak intelligently on.  I expect that this will now begin spreading and more cases will be found in NC.  I also think it's probably already been here, we just haven't been looking because we didn't know about it.  There are bunches of coronaviruses, just like there are bunches of flu viruses, COVID-19 is a new strain that we haven't seen before.  For the great majority of people it will not be a life threatening illness.  The ones to worry about are the elderly and folks with severe chronic lung diseases or those with suppressed immune systems.  What worries me as a provider is the over-reaction that we will see with everyone running to the ED for cold symptoms thinking they have COVID-19.  Instructions to stay home and self-quarantine will be ignored and emergency departments will be overrun with not sick people, who will subsequently be exposed to the sick people thereby increasing their chances of going from not sick to sick.  It happens every year with the flu and with all the media hype about COVID-19 I expect the panic to be worse.  I am at work tonight in my small rural community hospital with an 18 bed ED.  Currently every bed is full (that's why I got time to type this) and there are 20 people waiting to be seen, so our little hospital is already taxed so our capacity to handle a surge in patients with viral symptoms is limited.  We're the only hospital in the county so we will have to absorb these patients.  We will find a way, we always do but it is going to be rough.  The best thing to do is stay at home if you are sick, rest, drink plenty of fluids and take Tylenol and Motrin.  If you become worse and have fevers that you can't control or develop shortness of breath with a cough only then should you seek treatment at your doctor's office, urgent care or ED.  And for the love of God if someone you know has symptoms and goes to the ED do NOT go visit them or bring your small child to the ED as a visitor!!  That's just asking to get sick!!  Be well my friends
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 2,243
    choppack1 said:
    It won’t surprise me if March madness is played in front of empty arenas. As humans are apt to do, we went from whistling through the graveyard to total panic.
    A real possibility. 
    The A10 has banned handshakes in its conference tourney.  
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,930
    packpac - I agree. So many of our “leaders” have been terribly irresponsible. From the WHO - “the mortality rate is 3.4!” After saying “nothing to see here”, to the CDC, to Homeland Security, to the President, to the mainstream media.

This thing is bad, but I don’t see evidence that it’s Armageddon. I think it’s ultimately a lot worse than the flu for severe cases, but from everything I have read and heard, the equivalent of a typical cold for the majority of folks.

This doesn’t mean you ignore it. The mortality rate is such people have to exercise more diligence than usual, but life shouldn’t stop based on what I have heard and read.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,800
    edited March 4
    I was told, by a very reliable source in the "Wake medical/public preparedness community" that the Wake victim had been under quarantine for several day....perhaps even a week and that his/her diagnosis was finally confirmed, via testing, today.....and thus the public release.

I am NOT a medical professional.  However, as a retired Safety Director (and Environmental and a lot of other responsibilities that require some planning), I have been following this....for many reasons.....some personal....I am almost 75; I am now responsible for some "emergency planning" as a Trustee in our local church; I have two GK's that are in schools that have a 60+% international population; My daughter teaches art in an elementary in Cary that is probably 75% international....she did a map of student's "home country" and had over 200 plus pins all over the world.  I also have friends that are retired and perhaps a little more of a "Prepper" than I am.  BOTTOM LINE....I am sharing this.... to supplement PackPAC's post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIL5m5XznNY

This video is a must see for one to "understand" a virus....and how it is transmitted and how it impacts the body.  I knew that TamiFlu lessened the impact of the Flu.  TamiFlu kills or targets the "reproductive" capability of the virus cells.  Once you stop them from reproducing or replicating, THEN the body's own immune system has a chance to develop the anti-body to start to kill or attack the anti-gen (virus).  The body's auto immune system is a marvel.....but it can be overwhelmed and needs rest....and occassionally a "jump start" with massive dosages of cortasone....

The next two video's are from Dr. Robert Campbell, a research scientist in the UK.  he has been doing these since the onset of the virus.  They are close to 25 minutes.

I watch them daily.  He gives information peppered with common sense and also drills down to some interesting conclusions....  The first few minutes of the Feb 28 and Feb 29 give you some insight that most do not have.  If you watch them, you begin to get the grasp of this virus...  He does them daily and they are posted on YouTube each afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmIRMHzBZdU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOTz9duXwo

One of my PERSONAL concerns after many hours of watching Dr. Campbell is that children/teenagers seem to have a higher degree of immunity.....in that they seem very unlikely to actually "GET" the virus.... BUT....they are high on the list of suspected "carriers"....and this virus is transmitted by individuals with NO SYMPTOMS (and may NOT actually come down with the virus).  THAT is spooky...

Another is the hyping of this by the press and the misinformation (sensationalism) that is out there.  MASKS are for folks that MIGHT have the virus.....not to protect you FROM getting it.  Surface contact via clothes, hands (licking a shrine as they do in Iran), touching, hugging, etc is HOW this virus is transmitted.  Once you have it on your hands....you eat or touch your mouth or face or eyes or nose or whatever and THEN your chances are greater...

I can also tell you that finding hand sanitizer dispensers is virtually impossible....  I was tasked, with another lady, to outfit our church.  She has commercial kitchen contacts and I used Amazon.  Amazon has sold out.  The ISSUE is that IF you purchase a proprietary dispenser that uses a proprietary refill cartridge.....are you going to be able to replenish it.  Bulk (pour in your liquid) dispensers are popping up, but the quality and reliability are questionable.  Our church located 15 @ $40 each and the 1000 mL refills are $90 for a case of 8.  OUCH.... 
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,851PFN Referee
    roo, yes Dr John Campbell is great resource. I linked to his YouTube channel in original post.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,800
    roo, yes Dr John Campbell is great resource. I linked to his YouTube channel in original post.
    Sorry I skimmed and did not pick that up.  It takes a few "sessions" for folks to catch on and follow Dr. Campbell.  The two that I linked have an opening monologue that are quite good....
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,916PFN Referee
    From what I've read and people I trust...it seems pretty likely that almost everyone in the world is going to be exposed.  My engineering brain says...sure, I will work from home a little more.  But pulling kids out of school seems pretty pointless.  It is what it is, and panic moves will only fuck up the economy more, and likely not do any good from a public health standpoint.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,779
    Wulfpack said:
    The A10 has banned handshakes in its conference tourney.  
    This deserves a show cause for the A10 Commisioner 
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 537
    P  A  N  I  C  !   !   !   !
    edited March 4
    Live your life. Use some common sense and be more cautious if you have other health concerns. The overhyping almost makes you wish for a Hurricane so they can have their focus shifted to something else. We have become obsessed with the concept of zero risk. Nobody is ever supposed to get sick. The market should never go down. Wake should never lose to State in FB. It’s gotten absurd. Everyone just needs to relax. You shouldn’t be licking the relish spoon at the ballpark, but you shouldn’t be huddled in your basement afraid to go out. 
    We all will be exposed.  I feel that a much larger percentage of people already have than we realize.  We just don’t have the testing for it to know.

Case in point, I had some sort of flu over the weekend.  I’d had my flu shot. Which strand did I have that wasn’t covered?  Who knows? 
  • 89BABS89BABS Posts: 59
    I don't know.  When you look at the trending, it seems like things are leveling off.  (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ - choose the logarithmic scales on the graphs).  Active (reported) cases have actually started falling for the past two weeks.  But then the growth factor is bouncing around between declining and growing.

I worry about North Korea and Iran - both notoriously unforthcoming with credible news/statistics.  But Italy and Japan have jumped on it hard with both feet - and that may stem the tide.

Anyway, if you're a statistics junkie (or a metricaholic) - that's a nice site.
  • Wolfblood86Wolfblood86 Posts: 416

If the virus spreads much more and takes hold then we are screwed. The virus came from a culture that doesn't handshake much and it is acceptable to wear face masks in public. Before the coronavirus, if you wore a face/surgical mask out in public then you would be treated like you had the bubonic plague. I honestly don't know why it is not more acceptable in our culture.

Working with the public, I can tell you about 4 out of 5 people freaking sneeze or cough right into there hands. It's a pet peeve of mine. My parents, grandparents, and teachers taught me better than that. Always into your arm. Never your hands. Literally, people will sneeze/cough into their hands then hand me money or a card. Drives me freaking crazy. AND people will step away or turn away to be "considerate" only to sneeze/cough into the their hands. What's the point if you use put all the crap into your hands!?!

Even if God or aliens or whatever came down and gave us a large supply of a vaccine today, half the people wouldn't give take it because 1. they are too busy, 2. the virus won't affect them that much even if they do get it, 3. vaccines are scams created by the government and it isn't something that herbs/natural remedies won't cure.

Case in point, the first patient in NH was told to self quarantine while they were testing him and instead we went an event at the Dartmouth business school. I hope we can keep this under control but I have my doubts and it will affect vulnerable populations most because individuals act stupidly, inconsiderate, or both. I believe our culture is woefully unprepared to deal with a pandemic. Whether it be this or something new in the future.

edited March 4
    Chinese scientist now claiming that it has mutated to two variants.. S-cov and L-cov with L-cov being more virulent.  Italy announcing they are closing all schools.  Rapidly changing situation day to day.  US hardly doing shit thus far (think we'll look back on this stage and see how many epic blunders were made).. don't have nearly enough tests available that is needed.

I watched a hearing with CDC director, Dr. Schuchat, and the senate yesterday and that lady is a fucking idiot.  If SHTF they aren't going to be able to do a damn thing and you can take that to the bank, dudes.

I'm not intentionally being an alarmist but with so many unknowns at this beginning stage of the game it's unbelievable more precautions aren't being taken and more resources aren't being poured into this.  Time will tell and I hope I'm wrong.
    I won’t touch politics, but will tell you that there is a very healthy dose of ostrich behavior paired with conspiracy theory.  I get that from the inside of the machine. If this actually turned bad, I think blunder would be a kind word.
    I think a lot of people have been asleep at the wheel, quite honestly.  Everybody and their mother knew this thing was coming. Whether or not it turns out to be a major problem or not does not mean we shouldn’t have been better prepared. 
    Wake county leadership addressing the virus in our state:

"at this time there is no reason to panic"

Okay thanks!  Just let us know when it is time.
    Here is full video of presser from Wake County health officials.. apologies as I could not find it on Youtube:

If you watch in it's entirety it is 100% clear they are not being fully transparent.  Nothing is making sense about this response.

The purposeful lack of transparency, as admitted to by the official in this press conference, as a policy per the CDC is extremely concerning.
    If you had heard some of the conversations that I have heard in the past week, and where they were coming from...............
    Too bad Art Bell passed away. He’d know where this came from. 
  • RickRick Posts: 2,510PFN Referee
    ryebread said:
    If you had heard some of the conversations that I have heard in the past week, and where they were coming from...............

What does this mean?