Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

CHANGE.ORG Petition Proposal.... Name the PNC WP BB Court KARL HESS

I signed a petition late in 2019 protesting the Wake County Sheriff commandeering the PUBLIC SHOOTING RANGE....built for PUBLIC USE.  I have got some requests and my GD and her friends have started on about some shenanigans at one of the local high schools by the Principal.  

It hit me.....we need a CHANGE.ORG Petition.  Working on the wording....but it would start with Rye's astute foul recap of Mr. Brooks.  There are probably some OTHER ways to statistically demonstrate bias as well.....so I would need some "data analysis".

THEN we write the petition as a Mea Culpa.  We agree that we have besmirched the impeccable reputation of Karl Hess (the FIRST HOF Inductee in to the Liberty University Sports HOF).  We then state to make amends, that we are naming the court after him.  Therefore, all the ill will generated by those actions way back when....and still haunting us today....will be "absolved".  

THEN, we expect fair and impartial officiating as the ACC Ref's hold us responsible for Karl's downward spiral after that.

Am I SERIOUS?  Am I just typing this to feel better?  I don't know....

BUT, hypothetically, it WOULD get some publicity.....and Boo and Randy might call Bobby and revoke my LTR's.....to which I would sue and get back my original "donation" plus compensatory and emotional damages...

Oh WELL.....not gonna do anything tonight....or for a few days....  but I WONDER....if we got a LOT of publicity about this if then things MIGHT NOT GET BETTER.  

I do NOT have confidence that the current AD Administration is pounding on the door or sending video like former AD Yow did....

Should we have a Change.ORG petition to rename the PNC WP BB Court "Karl Hess"?
  1. Should we start a Change.Org Poll to rename?5 votes
    1. YES
      40.00%
    2. NO
      60.00%
    3. NO OPINION
        0.00%

Comments

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 437
    How 'bout we just label the seats that Chris and Googs were were sitting in when King Karl kicked 'em out?
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 628
    edited March 1
    And I used to think Lenny Wertz was bad as an official.  Ole Karl Hess couldn't hold his whistle (as Mr. Dog says in the below link).

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,629
    We were getting all over Lenny Wirtz from behind the State bench before the start of an early season game against some hyphenated school and as he walked towards mid-court with the ball for the opening tap, he turned to us smiled and said,”The beginning of another perfect season.”
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,793
    Wirtz was indeed a character.  I once had some email conversations with an NCSU prof who wrote books about various “moments” of our athletic program.  He was very diligent and also researched and verified what he wrote.  He shared a story that he never got around to including it in a book.

https://www.thedeadballera.com/Obits/MinorLeaguers/Obits_B/Bello.Lou.Obit001.html

Some of you might remember Lou Bello.  I THINK that he did a show on WRAL later on.  When Norm Sloan went to Florida, because of our cheap ass AD and the fact that Norm said “or else”...he was welcomed and immediately was brought into the good old boy’s circle.  He recommended Lou as a well respected referee.  Supposedly they paid him quite well.  Lou was appreciative.  Norm did not have much talent.  Lou ended up officiating Norm (Florida) and South Carolina.  Norm’s team was losing badly....and it was not pretty.  Opps...something happened...the whistles started going FL’s way.  Finally, FL tied the game and it went to OT.  During the break before the OT tip-off, Lou casually walks over.  In a stage whisper, he says

”Norm....  I’ve helped you as much as I can....you’re on your own in the OT.  Good Luck.”  Can’t remember if they won or lost....
    I had "Wertz" and meant "Wirtz".

Great link to Lou Bello.  His generation was indeed one of helping others and self-sacrifice.
  • HighstickHighstick Posts: 380PFN Referee
    Lou Bello was "one of a kind"!  Glad I got to see him back then...
    Wirtz was indeed a character.  I once had some email conversations with an NCSU prof who wrote books about various “moments” of our athletic program.  He was very diligent and also researched and verified what he wrote.  He shared a story that he never got around to including it in a book.

https://www.thedeadballera.com/Obits/MinorLeaguers/Obits_B/Bello.Lou.Obit001.html

Some of you might remember Lou Bello.  I THINK that he did a show on WRAL later on.  When Norm Sloan went to Florida, because of our cheap ass AD and the fact that Norm said “or else”...he was welcomed and immediately was brought into the good old boy’s circle.  He recommended Lou as a well respected referee.  Supposedly they paid him quite well.  Lou was appreciative.  Norm did not have much talent.  Lou ended up officiating Norm (Florida) and South Carolina.  Norm’s team was losing badly....and it was not pretty.  Opps...something happened...the whistles started going FL’s way.  Finally, FL tied the game and it went to OT.  During the break before the OT tip-off, Lou casually walks over.  In a stage whisper, he says

”Norm....  I’ve helped you as much as I can....you’re on your own in the OT.  Good Luck.”  Can’t remember if they won or lost....
    Cool that he mentioned Nellie Cooper in the article.  I had Nellie for Soccer PE in my freshman first semester at State.  We didn't start school until mid September back then and it wasn't long before I ran into Nellie coming off the field at a high school football playoff game on a Friday night.  He recognized me from his 8 AM Monday/Wednesday Soccer course and we talked as he left.  Great guy and he'd always speak to me when we ran into each other in Carmichael(where I spent way too much time playing basketball and handball).

Spending way too much time in Carmichael?  If I had spent less time there my freshman year, I probably would have passed Chem 101 the first time.
    1984Met said:
    Spending way too much time in Carmichael?  If I had spent less time there my freshman year, I probably would have passed Chem 101 the first time.
    I had the same problem.  But I picked the wrong major and stayed in it too long, but there weren't that many  options in 63.  It's was different when I came back to finish after the Army, but it's drastically better now with the College of Management and the MACC program.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,793
    Started in 63.  Finished in 68 after a "why don't you align your academic and social priorities" lecture by Banks Tally.  YES....I did protest and appeal.  Should have let my hair grow long and become a hippie and went to Whisky Hill.  BUT, I did not.  So, the second semester of my sophomore year was spent working odd jobs at Sears and an AV shop in Raleigh.  Started dating my wife in the spring of 65...whilst I was "re-examining my priorities and such.  We eloped in November and she stayed at UNCG while I muddled along and took a "Re-Do" of my sophomore year.  Got through OK and then in mid semester of 1966, I had an elightening experience (note, I was having gastric problems and potentially an ulcer).  

I was in an EE202 lab.  We did our "Mr. Wizard" experiments and then had a wrap up of the week's lectures.  We were studying the Complex Frequency Plane of the Neper Frequency.  One of my lab partners asked the Grad Assistant..."Sir, WHEN or WHERE will we use the areas we are studying now?"

He answered...."Oh, in Graduate school.  I working on Doctoral thesis and doing quadruple intergration of these complex planes.  Very interesting...."

So, my buddy persisted....."So, we will probably never use this in any design or jobs that we would get after we graduate in EE?" 

Grad replied....."Probably not......very limited field of study and mostly theoretical....but necessary for Masters and Doctor's...."

Me and the other guy and probably a few more quietly folded up our notes and left the class and headed to Holladay  Hall.  I changed my major to Engineering Operations - Production Tech Option.  The rest is history....I graduated.....had a great career....and can sit around and comment here....
    I would play basketball as much as possible my freshman and sophomore years.  One of my favorite Carmichael experiences is the time about in 1980 or 1981 when I made a shot over Chuck Nevitt from about 5 feet -- a fuzzy one at that because I had to take my glasses off to play.  Had to shoot it about 20 feet up in the air!  (I'm only 6'2.5" compared to his 7'5"ish.)  His State basketball teammates on the other side of the court were razzing him greatly for quite a bit of time afterwards.  Can't remember how the game ended up.  He is the only person I have met who could put both hands over the rim with both feet flat on the ground.
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 437
    Had a relatively easy Frosh year in ChE due to an excellent HS education...thought I could continue that in my Sophomore year as well-went to 10 FB games (several road trips, obviously) and had a great social footprint. Had to drop 8 of my scheduled 20 hours and barely scraped by with a 2.0 that semester-spent the next year (with 2 summer sessions) catching back up and then getting ahead for the Senior year-a very good life lesson...
    Started in 63.  Finished in 68 after a "why don't you align your academic and social priorities" lecture by Banks Tally.  YES....I did protest and appeal.  Should have let my hair grow long and become a hippie and went to Whisky Hill.  BUT, I did not.  So, the second semester of my sophomore year was spent working odd jobs at Sears and an AV shop in Raleigh.  Started dating my wife in the spring of 65...whilst I was "re-examining my priorities and such.  We eloped in November and she stayed at UNCG while I muddled along and took a "Re-Do" of my sophomore year.  Got through OK and then in mid semester of 1966, I had an elightening experience (note, I was having gastric problems and potentially an ulcer).  

I was in an EE202 lab.  We did our "Mr. Wizard" experiments and then had a wrap up of the week's lectures.  We were studying the Complex Frequency Plane of the Neper Frequency.  One of my lab partners asked the Grad Assistant..."Sir, WHEN or WHERE will we use the areas we are studying now?"

He answered...."Oh, in Graduate school.  I working on Doctoral thesis and doing quadruple intergration of these complex planes.  Very interesting...."

So, my buddy persisted....."So, we will probably never use this in any design or jobs that we would get after we graduate in EE?" 

Grad replied....."Probably not......very limited field of study and mostly theoretical....but necessary for Masters and Doctor's...."

Me and the other guy and probably a few more quietly folded up our notes and left the class and headed to Holladay  Hall.  I changed my major to Engineering Operations - Production Tech Option.  The rest is history....I graduated.....had a great career....and can sit around and comment here....

I got out of Aerospace when I became convinced that it was the objective of some professors to have the highest failure rate.  It was night and day different after the Army, but I never ran into those A-hole profs when I came back.  I toyed with transferring to Unc too, but would have lost all of those engineering credits that were electives.