Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2020 Pack9 Baseball Thread

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,090PFN Referee
Already that time of year again.  The Pack's season kicks off next week (February 14th at 3pm) in a 3 game series against James Madison in the friendly confines of Doak field. 

As meaningless as it may be, the coaches poll chose NC State to finish 3rd in the Atlantic this season.  Hopefully the team this year will exceed these preseason expectations.

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,090PFN Referee
    My poor baseball thread has no comments :(

lol just bumping this back to the top with 3 days to go before the season starts.  Will likely have this one centerpieced to the top this Spring after the hoops season concludes.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,101
    I’m from Houston. I already know what the first pitch is
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,315PFN Referee
    Just picked my kid up from Bragaw (she has sinus infection and wanted to be home for a bit), saw players on the field.  Just practice?
  • Texpack said:
    Funny and painful at the same time.  Heard about a pitcher looking at suing as he was sent down after getting shelled by the Astros.  No chance in hell anything comes of it, but an interesting pursuit and debate nonetheless.
    Just picked my kid up from Bragaw (she has sinus infection and wanted to be home for a bit), saw players on the field.  Just practice?
    I guess so.. two teams?  Maybe an exhibition?
    I could see only the OF, and there were players in hats and what looked like navy shirts (with no lettering that I could make out).
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,616PFN Referee
    I never quite understand the baseball polls.  They seem very East coast/southeast in bias. Every year the ACC seemingly has 4-5 teams living in the top 15, but as a league we don’t get it done in the postseason.  The SEC and to a lesser extent the Pac12 and a handful or programs in Texas rule college baseball.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 214
    Texpack said:
    Funny and painful at the same time.  Heard about a pitcher looking at suing as he was sent down after getting shelled by the Astros.  No chance in hell anything comes of it, but an interesting pursuit and debate nonetheless.

Getting shelled after one game doesn't get you sent down.  Pitching bad for a while gets you sent down.  To me, that former pitcher and his lawyers are just seeing potential $$ signs.  I saw the story and thought he is being a bit sanctimonious.  MLB already sent a serious maximum message which I think will affect the Astros this year.

I wanted to go off on a rant about what is starting to look like (to me anyway) the sour grapes from the losing teams in 2017 WS, 2018 WS, and 2019 ALCS.  Yet, cheating is a serious issue.  Maybe they did, but I'm just having problems seeing why opposing teams just didn't mix up their signs or change them.  I feel for the losers a bit because of the scandal but it wasn't like the Astros were a bunch of scrubs.  Well, it was the LA Dodgers and the NY Yankees; so, I don't feel sorry for them that much :-).
  • Met, I may be the outlier here, but we're not talking about if they cheated and if it impacted an outcome of a game, but what that impact was.

It's hard to say, but with all of the analytics available in the sport of baseball, someone could make a reasonable projection as to the potential impact.

I'm an Orioles fan and we pretty much suck nowadays, so nobody needs to cheat against us. However, the level of organization, use of players not on the field and technology wasn't done without an objective of changing the result.

Also, if we found out UNC had been doing this to us in baseball, I am pretty sure most of us would be livid and rightfully so.

Apologies for the rant.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,101
    Just saw a VIDEO of a Yankees player checking his wrist as he rounded the bases after a HR against the Astros in the 2017 ALCS. Yankees had been reprimanded for using Apple watches to transmit information earlier that season. We will eventually find out who all did what. The Astros clearly were in the wrong but if you don’t think the righteous indignation from the baseball media isn’t more intense because of how they built their team and the fact they beat NY and Boston you’re kidding yourself. 
  • Rye, baseball polls are highly unpredictable. You’re correct that there’s a SEC and ACC bias. Baseball America is based in Durham and several of the d1 baseball writers live in the area. The most reliable imo is the USA Today poll.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 214
    Texpack and Gso,

I agree.  I am an Orioles fan first but spent over 20 years listening/watching the Astros.  Yes, I do think it's NY, etc. media more than anything.  If it was NY, it would probably be swept under the rug already.
    Gas: Baseball America (IMHO) is a bit of a circle @#($)* for the reason you mentioned.  What I also see as an issue for baseball are that there are seemingly quite a number of different polls.  I don't follow that closely, but how much parity is there between them?
    Pack won opener 4-0.  Undefeated baby!
    We play this morning (chilly!) or last night?
    oh, and on ESPN+/ACCNX streaming now!  2-0 us, after 1
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 671
    Still undefeated, I’ll take it.
    3-0
    I know we will revert to being NC State at the end of baseball season, too.  But I care so much less, maybe I should start paying more attention.  At least until the #BFIB start playing.
    Don’t harsh my 3-0 mellow bubble.
    4-0
    I know we will revert to being NC State at the end of baseball season, too.  But I care so much less, maybe I should start paying more attention.  At least until the #BFIB start playing.
    I used to NEVER care about college baseball, but been following it a bit more in the past 3 or 4 years I guess.. not religiously or anything, but I typically know our record at any given time in the season and try to catch us playing a game on the TV every now and then.

4-0
    Still undefeated, baby!
    I casually follow NC State baseball and then watch it during the ACC and NCAA tournaments.  
    Game postponed for today.  The Undefeated 
    5-0

2nd game 1-1 after 1, don’t make me come down there.