Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Cord Cutting

HighstickHighstick Posts: 331PFN Referee
I cut the cord back in April, 2019 and could not be more pleased.  Saving about $200 a month based on Direct's inflated prices and my on stupidity for keeping HBO and Showtime.  I was already paying for Netflix and get Prime free anyway.  I tried Sling on a trial basis, but settled in on Youtube TV and am using a Roku Device.  

My local Internet Provider is really good so I've not had any streaming issues.  It has been good to be able to use the YoutubeTV app on my phone and watch ball games when I'm away from a TV.

Comments

• RickRick Posts: 1,951PFN Referee
    I cut there or so years ago. I used ps but until they went out if business. I used YouTube tv now.
    It works great even for my technology challenged wife
  • Same thing here. Started with PS Vue and now with You Tube.  No real complaints.

My brother did stick with DirecTV and went from 120 to $23 a month.  Yes, they will raise that in a year, but he got a decent deal.  Fyi, if want that deal, call DirecTV and say "cancellation" into the voice activated menu.  Works like a champ.
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 490PFN Referee
    edited February 7
    My local Internet Provider is really good

Mine is not and good options are hard to come by.   They have download limits and the speed/dollar is terrible compared to what my Mom gets in Hickory.   

I haven't done a complete cost/benefit analysis, but my laziness has me with cable for TV and internet.   But I do like these threads so that I can keep up with what my options are.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 307
    edited February 7
    I have Hughes Net up here in Rockingham County.  With an 18-year-old in the house, that means we always get to our "fast speed" limit within a few days.  That leads to a "slow speed" month unless I do things between midnight and 6 AM.  Cable is not an option where I live; so, we pretty much have to be okay with the relatively cheap Hughes Net.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,806PFN Referee
    edited February 7
    I went with YoutubeTV for college football and basketball.  It's nice, but I will drop it immediately after March Madness is over.  Part of why I went with them was because you can turn it off at any time.

To pay for YoutubeTV (because I am cheap), I switched ISPs.  I caught a deal where I got a year at a discounted rate, so I could do YoutubeTV and the internet for $7 more a month than I was paying for my previous ISP (internet only).  I grumbled that my $7 was my ACCDN tax, but moved forwards.

The cheaper ISP is surprisingly good and comes with committed bandwidth rates and flat rate pricing (no consumption tax).  It is facing enough competition that they announced locked in pricing moving forward without a contract. I'm currently paying less for internet than I have since a sweetheart deal I had with Time Warner many moons ago.

Fingers crossed that this lasts a while.  Most good things don't.

• I am another who moved from PS Vue to YouTubeTV.  Disappointed in Sony, but what can you do?  So far, I'm pretty happy with YouTubeTV and my Roku box.  I do like that YouTubeTV seems to track what I watch and offer up shows I tend to watch all the time at the top of the home screen.  I almost never have to go searching for a State game.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,330PFN Referee
    The cheaper ISP is surprisingly good and comes with committed bandwidth rates and flat rate pricing (no consumption tax).  It is facing enough competition that they announced locked in pricing moving forward without a contract. I'm currently paying less for internet than I have since a sweetheart deal I had with Time Warner many moons ago.

Sounds like Century Link.. that's who we have and we have been very pleased after moving from TWC.  No more calling them every 6 months to renegotiate for an hour to get back to the original price we were paying.

I have CenturyLink fiber. It is a set price $95 and never goes up. 
    It was only a few dollars more than what time warmer was offering for 200mb
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,607PFN Referee
    You will cut that cord out of my cold, dead hands.  :sweat_smile:
    Spectrum is what was formerly known as Time Warner Cable.
  • Wolfblood86Wolfblood86 Posts: 390
    We have spectrum. No complaints. After upgrading our wireless router I usually can get about 50mbps with highs of 70mbps to 80mbps. $49 is only the 1st year intro price though. 
  • WolfWiz11WolfWiz11 Posts: 422
    I live in NoVA. Paying about $70 for Verizon FiOs and splitting YouTube TV with a buddy of mine which is about $25 a month for my share. Haven't missed a single NCSU men's bball game this season, to my knowledge. Love the DVR.
    Unlimited DVR with YoutubeTV... though I do wish it were a bit easier to manage.  I record PTI on ESPN and it records duplicates of it because it airs several times on both ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN News channels.  Would like to be able to just record it once a day on one channel.
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 410
    We have spectrum. No complaints. After upgrading our wireless router I usually can get about 50mbps with highs of 70mbps to 80mbps. $49 is only the 1st year intro price though. 
    What does it jump to after year 1? I just ordered it.
  • 44rules said:
    What does it jump to after year 1? I just ordered it.
    Looks like $69.99 for just internet if you didn't bundle. We have Dish for TV. My parents were Time Warner Cable legacy members and just made the "switch" to Spectrum. We've never had any issue and they haven't either. We moved last year and got the intro price again. My parents-in-laws have Windstream and can't even stream Netflix. It's worth the extra!
  • I can't wait until everyone has their own streaming service for ~$10.99 and then someone will come along and bundle them all together for $140 a month.  
    packi: The irony will be thick when this runs fill circle, but just with a different access medium (that we're also paying for).
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 410
    True. But when March hits and the Pack is gone, I drop YouTube (or Sling in the past) and save that $50 a month. 
    44rules: I'm with you. That is my plan.
    Just got this email from Youtube TV.. their asses may get dropped since they can't make it happen...

Hi there,
    Our goal with YouTube TV is to offer you the content you love, delivered the way you want.
    To make this happen, we need to enter into deals with our partners. Unfortunately, we have been unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair to continue to carry the FOX Regional Sports Networks and YES Network.
    Starting February 29, 2020, you will no longer be able to watch live, on demand, or recorded content from your local FOX Regional Sports Network or YES Network.
    Please know that we do not take this decision lightly. We value your membership and will continue to strive to build the best streaming experience possible.
    Sincerely,
    The YouTube TV team

• Just got this email from Youtube TV.. their asses may get dropped since they can't make it happen...

Hi there,
    Our goal with YouTube TV is to offer you the content you love, delivered the way you want.
    To make this happen, we need to enter into deals with our partners. Unfortunately, we have been unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair to continue to carry the FOX Regional Sports Networks and YES Network.
    Starting February 29, 2020, you will no longer be able to watch live, on demand, or recorded content from your local FOX Regional Sports Network or YES Network.
    Please know that we do not take this decision lightly. We value your membership and will continue to strive to build the best streaming experience possible.
    Sincerely,
    The YouTube TV team

I just got it too...damn, I didn't even know YES was an option for YouTubeTV.  Also disappointed to know it is owned by Sinclair.

Is that Raleigh?
    Does that mean no Fox sports South?
  • Rick said:
    Is that Raleigh?
    Does that mean no Fox sports South?
    I don't think YouTubeTV has regional channels.  It's one package.  And yeah, that does include Fox Sports South.

• New to YouTubeTV so let's hope they resolve it like usual.