Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

NC State vs the League (and Refs) in ACC play.

Saw interesting stats coming out after the Mike Brey statement over refs being bias toward ND.  At the midway point in the season, the stats don't lie.  Who do you think should be screaming "WE R N the League TOO"!!!  It ain't ND. In foul margin per game, ND is 2nd overall in getting the calls.  Miami is first in free throw margin per game.  Guess who is dead last!  NCSU!  The Pack has had 27 more fouls called on them than the next to last team, which is GT.  Let that sink in....27 more than the second to last, not the one on top.  And get this, NC State was dead last overall last season for less fouls per game in ACC play.

And when it comes to Free Throw attempts per game who do you think is dead last here?  Of course, its NC State with 61 fewer free throw attempts than the 2nd to last team.  61 fewer than the next worse !!  And NC State was last overall last season in this category. Think one of the blues leads the league in this stat?  Nope, Miami is #1 again with free throw attempts margin per ACC play.

Some pretty damning stats if you ask me....right?

“We’re in the league, too! Come on! Come on, John Gaffney, Valentine, Lucky.......! God!”

Comments

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,628
    Only to a point. If you watch the games, we commit a lot of stupid fouls after we’ve been beaten and there’s a layup attempt in progress that we have absolutely no chance to stop. I see 4-5 of those minimum each game.  We are consistently late on rotations which creates a lot of fouls. Our offense is dribbling back and forth past a high ball screen to create a fade away three or a drive to the hoop. Half the time we eliminate the need for the defense to worry about even guarding us. 

I also see our guys getting mugged at times without getting a call slightly more than I see it the other way.  Note: I might be biased. 
  • RickRick Posts: 2,484PFN Referee
    I think it is a combination of our really bad defense, a passive offense and a ref bias against us. 
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,806PFN Referee
    the U*NC game was all about us stinking out the joint.  But the UVA and GT games were full of ref fuckery, such that I turned each off in the second half.
  • BasspackerBasspacker Posts: 215
    Mid way thru season we are 61 fewer trips to free throw line than the second to last team and you lean toward our stupid play and end of game need to foul?  Come on man, lol  
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 507
    Don't pull the trigger on me, give me a second but I will say our offense or the ones running it do nothing to create fouls.  Now, that may attest to a few fouls we should get but it doesn't make a dent in explaining those disparages.  All the more reason to jet out of this bull shit league.
    SamIam said:
    Don't pull the trigger on me, give me a second but I will say our offense or the ones running it do nothing to create fouls.  Now, that may attest to a few fouls we should get but it doesn't make a dent in explaining those disparages.  All the more reason to jet out of this bull shit league.

I 100% agree with you. I think it attests to the fact that men's basketball is corrupt. Too much money involved. And the easiest way to impact games would be through officiating. Almost impossible to prove. 
    We missed our window to get out of this podunk joke of a league. 

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
    Well the frigging refs have come flat out and said they ref based on prior tendencies rather than actual fouls being committed in the game... been going on for years.

Troll,
    Steve Logan used to say "The refs know who is supposed to win". That article is saying the same thing in code. 
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,073
    If you have some time, I found a great exercise to look at this disparity is to watch a game where you already know the outcome (and preferably already seen).  Feel free to skip through chunks, but what you'll likely find is that there is a lot of stuff going on that gets missed by the refs.  Shocking, I know.

I first did this during the Hans-Blow years.  Admittedly, he wasn't as bad as I thought, however, folks like Deon Thompson committed so many fouls and turnovers that were never called.

Given the game has gotten more physical, it has to be harder to call, therefore creating bigger potential disparities.

Fwiw, there have been some horrible end of game (non)calls in the ACC this year.  The worst part is these are non-NC State games and I don't watch that much Hoops.  Sad statement.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,233PFN Referee
    Rick said:
    I think it is a combination of our really bad defense, a passive offense and a ref bias against us. 
    +1 to this.  And I absolutely believe the "tendencies." This has been going on for years and some refs are worse than others. 

Back on our old site, I did an examination of the number of times that TJ Warren had had more than 2 fouls called on him in a game.  It only happened with the combo of Dorsey and Valentine officiating.  When they ref'd he averaged almost 4 fouls per game and fouled out twice (or maybe three times).  When they weren't reffing, I don't think he had a single game with more than 2 fouls. 

It's hard to spin that in any way other than damning........
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,845
    Honestly, it’s like watching network news or reading the paper. I know one side is definitely lying and I don’t trust the other, because they lie too. 

I stopped watching this unc-Ch game after 3 possessions in the second half, it was an epiphany...no anger, no awful thoughts, no afterimage. I laugh when I think about the difference between this and the GaTech and UVa games.

My son expressed frustration the other night that the major networks were ignoring the Coronavirus while focusing on Kobe. I was proud of him, because it meant he was focused on the right things. Not because Kobe and the others dying in the helicopter crash wasn’t a tragedy, rather understanding the potential real impact of this virus vs what people are telling you to be concerned about.