Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2020 Football Schedule

NC State Wolfpack HomeWhat do you all think?
7 homes games, bye before Wake, an SEC opponent.  Not that daunting in my opinion.  All depends on QB play.

9/3/20 (Thursday) vs. @Louisville

9/12/20 (Saturday) vs. Mississippi State

9/19/20 (Saturday) vs. @Troy

9/26/20 (Saturday) vs. Delaware

10/3/20 (Saturday) Florida State

10/10/20 (Saturday) Duke

10/17/20 (Saturday) @Clemson

10/24/20 Bye

10/31/20 (Saturday) Wake Forest

11/7/20 (Saturday) Boston College

11/14/20 (Saturday) @Syracuse

11/21/20 (Saturday) vs. Liberty

11/27/20 (Friday) @North Carolina

Comments

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,636PFN Referee
    The funny thing is that Liberty could TOTES beat us, going into the Holes finale
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 571PFN Referee
    NC State Wolfpack HomeWhat do you all think?

I think that we need to find an offense or this is going to be another forgettable year.
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 748
    I think you see a Chernobyl type fan base meltdown with a 2-5 start before the bye.  It seems there are 2 well defined camps amongst fans just from reading the various sites.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,105PFN Referee
     It seems there are 2 well defined camps amongst fans just from reading the various sites.
    I think it is the Sendek wars all over again.  I would argue that the reasonable expectations are lower levels for NC State football than basketball, but the rest feels eerily familiar.

I agree with VaWolf. We'd better find some QB play and better OL play.

As for a season prediction, we've scheduled up 3-1 in the non-conference.  The question is how many conference wins we can find. If we find an offense, it looks like 4 +/- 1.  If we have QB and OL play like this year, it's more like 2-3 ACC wins.

Unrelated, but it seems like we had another DE enter the transfer portal............ We may have to play a 2-4-5 based on personnel. :-D

Somebody provided a list of 10 DLs after I asked for a depth chart.  I would think the staff would want 2 deep on the 3 line and 2 deep in both the left and right DEs which might be overkill if you are sending speedy lbs, dbs etc on passing downs.  I would like to see at least 1 more quality dl in this class.  There are a lot of young guys in the group and they are all learning a new system.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,387
    Could be 1-5 heading into the Klempson game
  • I see 2 wins (Delaware and Liberty). I expect no other wins.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 484
    Not one of the three quarterbacks we had could get the job done, now we're down to two of that daunting trio.  

Did that pop anyone's bubble?
    edited January 22
    Sam: We add little Fin as well as Evans (red shirt scout teamer). We also gain an actual QB coach (because neither of our OCs last year, or Roper could do it) who has had a pretty good list of QBs under his tutelage.  Those are reasons to be positive.

Reasons to be negative are that our OC/QB coach was coaching at Texas and Ohio State. They get top flight talent, so I doubt those kids had to be developed as much as our QBs likely need to.  Also, unless the OL play improves drastically, any QB is going to be fairly challenged.

Much like with the Sendek wars I suspect there are two camps that have different perceptions of what we'll see.  I suspect the QB play (due to coaching, scheme and OL play) and OL play (injuries) will be better.  Better though is a fairly low bar.  
  • I think we’ll be better, but I’m not sure our record will agree. 
  • 79pack79pack Posts: 44
    2-3 wins maybe. Even Liberty went to a bowl in its  1st season in FBS!  
    Well State picked up a DE and a DT today.  Info on tos.
    I don't looks at other sites.  Is they good, or just warm bodies?
    3* so who knows.  Just good to see new commits.
    hey, I'd be expecting 2* at this point.  So huzzah!
    Shipley to Clemson 
    4 commits to date.  If you are 5,10 and weigh 175, this is your year for a free ride.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 2,236
    4 commits to date.  If you are 5,10 and weigh 175, this is your year for a free ride.
    Lol. 
  • wolfpack4everwolfpack4ever Posts: 57
    I don’t keep up with other college teams anymore so I suspect that many other universities are in the same position.  We seem to be locked into perpetual mediocrity.  

6 wins - 7 wins probably gets DD another season.  Fewer wins and we are probably starting over with another mid-priced head coach and staff.  Got to be tough to be a Wolfpacker.  It’s not for the meek or band wagon variety fans.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,441
    It all depends. The athletic department has no idea how ugly this thing will get if we have another bad year. Anyone who follows recruiting knows we are getting trounced by Mack Brown. Last year cost DD any good will he had built up amongst the fan base. We have never had a coach who has failed in the areas that he has failed (the occasional upset and comebacks from deficits larger than 7 points.) 

These failures are toxic for the fan experience. We know if we are losing at the half, we don’t have to pay attention. We also know if we are playing a good team, we will lose. 

Mind you, a lot of us still go, more fans just throw in the towel earlier and earlier. If he goes his 6-6 with losing to every good team he plays, he may be retained, but recruiting will be horrific because no one will be in the stands.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 2,236
    I don’t keep up with other college teams anymore so I suspect that many other universities are in the same position.  We seem to be locked into perpetual mediocrity.  

6 wins - 7 wins probably gets DD another season.  Fewer wins and we are probably starting over with another mid-priced head coach and staff.  Got to be tough to be a Wolfpacker.  It’s not for the meek or band wagon variety fans.
    I think we are pretty far down the ladder. Writing is on the wall for another miserable season. 
    I think he gets two years barring an utter collapse next year.  We have scheduled 3 automatic wins.  He will find 2-3 more.  
  • GasHouseGangstaGasHouseGangsta Posts: 417
    DD never built in-state advantages or excitement with recruiting from the start, which he said was a goal and needs to be for State to be successful.  And then he couldn't capitalize on NFL draft status. This was partially because on-the-field results have sucked. Add to that, he's just boring. Bad hire.
    DD never built in-state advantages or excitement with recruiting from the start, which he said was a goal and needs to be for State to be successful.  And then he couldn't capitalize on NFL draft status. This was partially because on-the-field results have sucked. Add to that, he's just boring. Bad hire.
    Any hire then was probably rolling the dice somewhat.  We fired early before it was clear we were hitting rock bottom, so any candidate had to either:
    1) Not be looking all that closely, but wanted the paycheck bump
    2) Had been looking, but decided they could manage through a transition

Either way it was going to be an interesting candidate pool.  I liked Sonny Dykes better, but he flamed out at Cal (which is easier to win at than NC State), so it wasn't like he was clearly better.  I was okay with the hire.  

The issue I had was when we re-upped when DD was flirting with Ole Miss and Tennessee.  I was pretty vocal here (and elsewhere) to let him go, not that my opinion matters any to the powers that be.