Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Round 2 -- NC State vs. Clemson

ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,616PFN Referee
This Saturday, NC State gets a second shot at Clemson, but this time in the friendly confines of the ESA.  The Tigers are 9-7 overall and 3-3 in the ACC.  NC State enters the game at 12-5 (3-3).

Two weeks ago to the day, NC State took a trip south to Little John, where it played awful without CJ Bryce en route to an 81-70 loss.  In that game, NC State shot 5-21 from three (24%), got out rebounded, out assisted, out smarted and generally out hustled. 

The game within the game though was that NC State fouled a ridiculous 22 times.  Bates and Boots ended with four fouls each, and everyone else who played in the game for the Pack (outside of Andre) ended with three.  Clemson took advantage and made 26-31 free throws.  NC State shot 13-19 on 16 Clemson fouls.  The margin of victory was 11 and it largely happened at the line.  The fouling came early and often, and it seemed like Clemson spent the entire game shooting free throws.

After the loss many NC State fans (including on this site) were howling.  It was a bad loss to a team that was 6-7 and coming off back to back losses to Yale and Miami.

While NC State still should feel like it lost a winnable game, the loss isn't quite as bad as it previously seemed.  Since the ambush, Clemson has followed that up by breaking their dubious streak in Chapel Hill (which I'd always thought was one of the real oddities in US sports) and backing that up with a home win against Duke (in what for NC State would have clearly been a hangover game).  Clemson's still 74th in the NCAA's NET rankings, 76th in KenPom and 86th in RPI, but the last two weeks have been quite good to them.

In the same time, NC State has had a bit of up and down.  We've gone L (Clemson), W (ND), L (VT), W (Miami) in BJD parlance.  The good news is that Bryce has returned to the line up, and DJ has been on a bit of a tear (with at least 14 points in every game).

With respect to Clemson, watch for the 3 headed monster of Tevin Mack (6-6 Sr.), Aamir Simms (6-8 Jr.) and John Newman (6-5 So.).  They went for 17, 20 and 17 points (shooting a combined 53%) and pulled down 18 boards in Chapel Hill.  Against Duke they had 22, 25 and 14 points (on a scorching 69% shooting) and a grabbed 21 rebounds (almost out rebounding Duke by themselves).  The trio is coming in hot.

NC State is currently bubblicious for the big dance.  The Pack is 45th in the NET, 63rd in the RPI and 43rd at KenPom.  It cannot afford a home loss to a Q3 team (as it already has one to GT).  

KenPom likes NC State by 7 and gives the Pack a 72% chance of winning.
Poll Time
  1. DJ is talking about revenge, but will the Pack get it? Who wins?21 votes
    1. NC State Wolfpack
      76.19%
    2. Clemson Tigers
      23.81%
  2. Can NC State play without fouling? Who fouls more?21 votes
    1. NC State
      95.24%
    2. Clemson
        4.76%

Comments

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,315PFN Referee
    LWLWLWL continues
  • edited January 16
    It appears that not only are we alternating wins and losses, but alternating home and away.  So I think the Pack wins this one, since it's in the PNC.  The Tigers' win over Duke was big, but it was a home game for them...while the UNC game was not a home game, I suspect there was a LOT of motivation to win that one, plus the Holes threw the game away at the end.

(Edited because I hate making typos and grammatical errors)
    Except we lost at home to Bees, won away to the Deacs.
  • Glad we get them at home again.  Seems like we never play well at Littlejohn.  In other news, does anyone know what has happened with the PI website?  Hasn't been updated since the last Clemson game.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,090PFN Referee
    Thanks Rye for the write up and getting the threads in order!  With Bryce back hopefully this is where we can look back and say the team turned a corner.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,385PFN Referee
    TAT it has happened before.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 455
    I voted we win, are the sirens pleasant calls from up the river after a win getting to me????  Surely not, my honest hunch is we win this one.  Time will tell
  • I voted we win as did many others, apparently.  Clearly we are more optimistic about basketball than football. 😁
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,101
    edited January 18
    Time to start the move out of the middle of the standings. 
    Fouls again eat up our advantage 
    We are getting schooled. Completely outclassed by a much better prepared team
    As sure as the damn sun will rise nc state will go through countless scoring droughts.  

Every single god blessed game...every one.
  • PackPACPackPAC Posts: 341
    Foul after foul after foul.  Pack 5 fouls, Tiggers 1 foul  Sims predictably killing them
  • RickRick Posts: 1,890PFN Referee
    edited January 18
    Just got home. We look like dookie.
    I predict a loss. I doubt I watch any more
    The lack of interest in basketball is interesting
    Batts down, TV went to commercial, he OK?
  • wolfanaticwolfanatic Posts: 462
    Has DD ever seen a shot he wasn't willing to take?
    They run pick and roll 85 straight possessions and everyone looks like the first time we’ve ever seen it. When we get beat, we make sure to compound the poor defense with a stupid foul
  • RickRick Posts: 1,890PFN Referee
    Texpack said:
    They run pick and roll 85 straight possessions and everyone looks like the first time we’ve ever seen it. When we get beat, we make sure to compound the poor defense with a stupid foul

All these are signs of piss poor coaching
  • WolfWiz11WolfWiz11 Posts: 366
    FUNDERBURK!!
    DD with the defense!  He has been better of late.
    NICE!!
    Better half court D without the two bigs. Hope Bates is ok. 
    Signs of life from the PACK!!
    I like when we play good.  I has sad when we play all shite.