Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

NC State vs. Miami Hurricanes

ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,616PFN Referee
Next up for NC State is a home game against the Miami Hurricanes.  This one happens tomorrow night.

The questions for State tend to be the continuation of recent themes....
- Will Bryce be back?
- If so, will he be pre-injury CJ?
- Does good Markell (ND) or bad Markell (insert play from most of our losses) show up?
- Can Hellems return to pre-injury form?
- Does the team recognize that DJ is shooting about 66% and Bates 60% and they should get the ball early and often?
- Can we play defense, particularly in the half court set without fouling?
- Can Beverly and Andree shoot over 40% given the looks the offense is getting them?

The players to watch for Miami are the three guards --  jitterbug Lykes, McGusty and Vasiljevic.  The three each average over 14 ppg on 44%-46% FG shooting.  Miami's in the top 25 in offense nationally in offensive efficiency, but an interesting statistical oddity (given their offensive efficiency and 3 guards) is that they're just about dead last in assist rate.   

As a result of being so guard heavy, Miami rebounds very poorly -- both defensively and offensively.  They also don't get to the line, and get a lot of their shots blocked. 

On defense they're fairly passive, not fouling much, but not generating turnovers, steals, etc.. The most telling stat is that teams score almost 60% of their points from the 2 against the Canes (which is 10% higher than the NCAA average) and also don't shoot that many 3 pointers against them (4 per game less than the national average).  Teams don't have to go to the perimeter.  Opponents can get what they need inside, and Miami is only ranked 199th in defense nationally.  

In games against common opponents, Miami won at Clemson in overtime on New Year's Eve.  Outside of that they've lost twice to Louisville, been blown out by Duke (33 points), blown out by Florida (20 points), and blown out by UConn (25 points).  They're either game and a tough out (beat Illinois by 2 on the road, Clemson, beat Pitt by 5 at home) or get blitzed.  

I feel like this game is more about NC State and the way it plays than anything Miami will or won't do.  No offense to the Canes, but they are playing on the road, really haven't defended very well this year and don't have a lot of size.  NC State needs to pound the ball inside and not settle for the "open" 3 point shot.

Vegas thinks the Pack by 8.  KenPom likes the Pack by 7.  
Poll Time
  1. Who wins?17 votes
    1. NC State Wolfpack
      70.59%
    2. Miami Hurricanes
      29.41%

Comments

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 457PFN Referee
    I think that ACCNX means that you have to pay an extra monthly fee to ESPN just to stream the game.    It might be found on Satellite/Cable in the Raleigh area, but it's not on in Central VA.

The Tune-In Radio App is free and I can listen to Gary/Tony or I might try to find a pirate stream off of Reddit.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,016
    Never count out Jim Laranaga.  He may be old (not really....he is same age as ORW and 2 years younger than Mikey).

He comes up with schemes or O/D lineups and changes his system to match his talent.  

We SHOULD win this one is the right squad shows up.

Will be there with full compliment of my gang....go pack
  • From what I have seen here in Greensboro, ACCNX is ESPN3.  That is, if you have ESPN on cable/satellite/etc, then you can access it over the web (I use Roku).

As for the game, I hope we pound it inside.  Defensively, let's try not to have Lykes continually humble us and once again go put up a career high on us.
    From what I have seen here in Greensboro, ACCNX is ESPN3.  That is, if you have ESPN on cable/satellite/etc, then you can access it over the web (I use Roku).

I'm not sure.   For one of the women's games, I couldn't watch the game without paying a monthly fee.    But on Sunday, the women's game against ND WAS on ESPN3.   I'll have to double check when I get home tonight.
    A quick Google search shows that GSO should be right.   From the ACC's website:

ACCNX will include hundreds of live events and will be available to ACCN subscribers across a range of devices.

But they still blocked me from one of the women's games.   I'm hoping that this was just a one-time glitch.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,101
    This is RSN for me. Fox SSW. Check your regional sports networks
  • OldMan94OldMan94 Posts: 79
    Right, it is Fox SS here in the ATL for most of the ACCNX games
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,869
    Lykes is a good player. But we should be ok if we pound it inside and go after rebounds hard. 
  • Wolfblood86Wolfblood86 Posts: 334
    I have Dish and they were (are?) in contract dispute with Fox Sports South. The event will be blacked out even on ACCNX. Doesn't matter if Dish carries ACC Network or not. Doesn't make since to me but I have had more blacked out events of State football and basketball this year than I ever had. The VT game on Saturday was blacked out even on ACCNX but I think I count that as a favor after our showing in that game.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,616PFN Referee
    Larranaga is a great coach and does more with less, but this roster is small.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,315PFN Referee
    ACCNX, I think, just means ACCN subscribers can stream it, it just won't be on my TV channel 388.

LWLWLW continues tonight.
  • Tau837Tau837 Posts: 66
    I have Dish and they were (are?) in contract dispute with Fox Sports South. The event will be blacked out even on ACCNX. Doesn't matter if Dish carries ACC Network or not. Doesn't make since to me but I have had more blacked out events of State football and basketball this year than I ever had. The VT game on Saturday was blacked out even on ACCNX but I think I count that as a favor after our showing in that game.
    I have Dish and the VT game was on for me (in retrospect, I wish it wasn't...). I live in Virginia Beach, not sure if there is any regional issue involved.
  • Wolfblood86Wolfblood86 Posts: 334
    edited January 15
    Tau837 said:
    I have Dish and the VT game was on for me (in retrospect, I wish it wasn't...). I live in Virginia Beach, not sure if there is any regional issue involved.

Maybe it was Fox Sports Carolina or some other channel. It's getting too hard keep up with all the disputes Dish is going through. I could have sworn my DVR was set to record it earlier in the week because my wife wanted to check the next Duke game was going to be recorded then it didn't and the channel was blacked out and no luck on the ESPN app. I'm getting use to it now. I've accepted there is about a 25% I'm not going to be able to watch a State game any given day.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 455
    Dish Network seems to be doing a few a favor.  
    Reddit streams never have disputes 
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,090PFN Referee
    Bryce is active for tonight!  Hope he not too rusty.
  • Episode VI: Return of the Dead-Eye (mid range turn around fade away jumper)
    We are not looking any better
    Foul on the three pointer. We must practice that to be able to execute it so consistently. 
    Rough looking game.  These teams look awful.
    But Manny Bates is funner than HAY-ull (as Early Cuyler would say)
    Turning up the defensive intensity, good to see.
    Bates has taught the whole team how to block shots
  • Glad to see we woke up. Hope we don’t fall back asleep during halftime 
  • PackPACPackPAC Posts: 341
    Let’s see if they can play with the lead.