Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Next up for NC State men's hoops -- Notre Dame

ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,233PFN Referee
edited January 6 in Wolfpack Sports
NC State will play another critical ACC game against a winnable opponent as it hosts Notre Dame at home on Wednesday.  While it's hard to say a January game is "must win" the Pack cannot afford to slip to 1-3 in conference, particularly when it's played Clemson, GT, Wake and ND (all of whom likely will not make the NCAA tournament).  The schedule's back loaded, so we need to be racking up wins now.

NC State is loaded with questions entering this game:
- Will Bryce be healthy enough to play?
- If so will Bryce be the same player he was prior to injury (as Hellems has not been)?
- Will Hellems finally return to his pre-injury form?
- Will Markell play smarter ball, more within the flow of the offensive design? 
- Can Markell fix his jumper by the end of the year?
- Can NC State collectively guard a postage stamp in the half court?
- Can NC State learn to play defense without fouling? 
- Can the zone we saw in some possessions in recent games be more effectively utilized to help both our defensive and fouling problems?

So while we can often say "we know what we have" about our own team, I feel like this team has more questions marks than any team we've had in a long time at this point in the season.  The potential is there to still make some noise, but the Pack needs to find some answers quickly.

As for ND, are they good, or are they bad?  They've beaten UCLA and Syracuse, but lost to UNC, Maryland (by 21), BC and Indiana (at home).

ND is led by 6 ft 9 senior John Mooney, who is averaging 15.9 points and 13.5 rebounds per game.  He's only had one game all year where he didn't score at least 10.  He's coming off of a 28 point, 14 rebound game at Syracuse where the Irish came out with a 1 point win.

ND under Mike Brey has been quite efficient on offense.  While the Irish don't shot as well as they normally do this year, they don't turn the ball over.  The lead the NCAA in fewest turnovers given away, are 3rd in assists, and lead the NCAA in assist to turnover ratio.  They also shoot primarily from the perimeter, with a very high percentage of their offensive production coming from the 3 point line.

On defense, ND does not foul.  They lead the NCAA in fewest FTs given up per game.  While they don't generate many turnovers, they keep the other team in front of them and keep the 2 point FG % down (42.7%).

Kenpom likes the Pack at home by 6, but I'm not so sure.  This is the type of game NC State has struggled with this season -- a well coached team that values the ball, doesn't foul and grinds out wins.  If NC State finds answers to some of those many questions, the Pack should win.  If they do not, or if new questions pop up, this season could quickly spiral out of control.
Poll Time
  1. Who wins?12 votes
    1. NC State Wolfpack
      50.00%
    2. ND Fighting Irish
      50.00%

Comments

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,807PFN Referee
    We'll probably win because I feel so hopeless.  ND does indeed worry me, from a style contrast standpoint.
  • RickRick Posts: 2,485PFN Referee
    If I happen to be available, I will watch it until I get tired of watching us suck. 
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 509
    I will optimistically (lol, i know!) check the score around the time the game should be over.  I'll say out loud in a medium loud voice "are you f*cking kidding me?" when I see the results.  Pretty much a repeat of Saturday.  Hopefully this scenario will not play out and the pack can get back to .500.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,233PFN Referee
    The poll went away when I fat fingered a typo.  At the time it was 2:1 ND.
    TAT: Is the banner right?  I think ND is a home game........
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,577PFN Referee
    edited January 7
    Wolfpack win. I look forward to enjoying this game.
  • WolfWiz11WolfWiz11 Posts: 436
    ryebread said:
    Definitely a home game
  • jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 436
    I think this is a better matchup for the Pack. And yes, it is a must win, for all intents and purposes.
    edited January 7
    ND may be without a starter.... We could use a break.  We have not played a full ACC game without an injured player.
    ryebread said:
    ND may be without a starter.... We could use a break.  We have not played a full ACC game without an injured player.

Clemson had something like 32 man/games missed to injury. 
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,629
    I’ll get excited after our 10th ACC win
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,807PFN Referee
    2022 is a long time to defer gratification!
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
    edited January 7
    thanks for thread, Rye!  Next time feel free to PFN Centerpiece them by using announce feature!  Just use selection as seen below and it'll be stickied to the top on the front page.  I usually leave them up as a centerpiece until the day after the games.

Hopefully Bryce plays and we can get the train back on the tracks.. every game he is out we'll like be digging a deeper hole.. and we already don't have any wiggle room now.

edited January 7
    ryebread said:
    banner fixed.. syntax error in the javascript got me like woah!  Ask Rick, he'll tell ya about it lol
    ryebread said:
    banner fixed.. syntax error in the javascript got me like woah!  Ask Rick, he'll tell ya about it lol

It isn't easy and is almost impossible on mobile.
  • 4in124in12 Posts: 193
    Can the banner be sorted by date? It would be nice to have the next game at the top. And I'm sorry for being a whiner.
    Rick said:
    ryebread said:

Clemson had something like 32 man/games missed to injury. 
    I hear you. There was no excuse for laying that egg against Clemson.
    4in12 said:
    Can the banner be sorted by date? It would be nice to have the next game at the top. And I'm sorry for being a whiner.

Based on what I have seen it would have to be manual. Troll was nice enough to put the ladies information first to make it easier to enter given my lack of programming knowledge (which is kind of funny given I have a minor in computer science but that was 30 years ago).
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,629
    2022 is a long time to defer gratification!
    I knew there was an optimist lurking on this board
    edited January 7
    4in12 said:
    I will look into that.  I think that would be useful as well.  I'm sure there is a way to do it programmatically (while leaving ladies banner at the top of source code for Rick to easily modify) but off the top of my head at the moment I'm not sure how to implement.
  • JpageJpage Posts: 95
    Can we believe the EXCUSES we read about the reasons we don’t win, let’s don’t get mad about the results that we DONT work for !! We are hardly ever prepared and it’s transitioning from football to a new depth in basketball. I guess over 50 + years of optimism turns into a realism of the way that it is and the way it is going to be .
    Jpage: What excuses aren’t you hearing here?
  • JpageJpage Posts: 95
    Ha ha, at least it softens the blow Rye ! Enjoy all your post !!
    edited January 8
    How'd you like the are or aren't? o:)  The question one must ask themselves is whether that was a typo or a brilliant slight of hand.

On topic, we've probably all said them (excuses) and then unsaid them (that isn't excusable).  I think this community is generally pretty much a "call it like we see it" group. It gets us some shade passed our way by other sites for being overly negative, but so be it.

Interestingly, I have noticed some other Wolfpack sites where writers are "paid" are putting topics up a couple of days after we discuss them here.  There's a little irony behind that.
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 447
    Rye, as a veteran writer myself, "Nothing is original; plagiarize!"  o:)