Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Jeff Gravely left WRAL - New Replacement hired

The rumor among the guys that should know and text the sports personalities and also the reporters was that when Jeff Gravely entered into his contract negotiations last year that he expected a nice raise and a good contract.  Rating were up.  Revenue from sport was up.  His personal personna was high.

Well, he supposedly (and I say that based on second hand info....but confirmed from more than one source) was offered a shorter contract for about a 50% pay cut and longer working hours.  But other than that, Mr. Darrow, how did the litigation go...?

He is gone.  The WRAL staff paid as much tribute to him as they were allowed to without imperiling their positions.

Where he will surface, I know not.  

BUT, like another good one, Tom Suiter, he be GONE.  Here is the article on him.

Interestingly enough.....he is a little like Tom Suiter....a Vegan.  Wonder if his wife is a WCPSS Music Teacher?  He does have children.  Bob Holliday may be next.....who knows....  The whole station is taking on a new look....

https://www.wral.com/chris-lea-to-join-wral-sports-team/18864436/

Comments

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 628
    Roo, I'm not privy to the WRAL situation.  However, my conversations with TV weather people in the Houston area is that the station manager is the deciding factor.  If the station manager changes, changes down the line are probable and actually more than likely.  If an on-air personality is not popular with him/her or with the station's core watchers/listeners, then that on-air personality is likely out.  Even if he or she is an icon, a change is at least considered.

I remember Tom Suiter from the mid and late 1980s.  I thought he was a high energy likeable on-air personality.  I also remember watching Bob Holliday and liked him during the 1980s.  Don't know much about Jeff Gravely.  Do you know if there was a station manager change within the last few years?  That may be what bit Mr. Gravely.
  • BasspackerBasspacker Posts: 215
    I liked Jeff Gravley....I hate WRAL5.  Only reason I watched anything on WRAL was due to Gravley sports coverage.  WRAL5 is so liberal bias in their coverage that its unbareable.  WRAL seems to rather stir the pot politically than cover local sports as it has cut its coverage to less than 3 minutes.  Gravley is a NCSU grad so that may explain some with his WRAL woes.  The good news is that I have found Mark Armstrong on WTVD11 to be very good with local sports coverage.  He seems to lean more toward UNC and Utah in lead stories but overall I like his style.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
    Can he coach football or hoops?
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,793
    1984Met said:
    Roo, I'm not privy to the WRAL situation.  However, my conversations with TV weather people in the Houston area is that the station manager is the deciding factor.  If the station manager changes, changes down the line are probable and actually more than likely.  If an on-air personality is not popular with him/her or with the station's core watchers/listeners, then that on-air personality is likely out.  Even if he or she is an icon, a change is at least considered.

I remember Tom Suiter from the mid and late 1980s.  I thought he was a high energy likeable on-air personality.  I also remember watching Bob Holliday and liked him during the 1980s.  Don't know much about Jeff Gravely.  Do you know if there was a station manager change within the last few years?  That may be what bit Mr. Gravely.
    Best of my knowledge, no management changes.  For those of us that worked at WRAL in the 60’s, we know that COB/CEO Jim Goodmon came in with a mission.  CUT costs and maximize profits.  He was the Gee Whiz kid that put in the “AUTOMATION” to eliminate the high paid two guys in the control room.  That failed, royally and Jimmy was transferred to sales and marketing.

It was a matter of cutting costs.  Gravely was high in the feed chain.  The new guy is cheap.  

Side Notes.  Tom Suiter, whom I corresponded with frequently was a Vegan.  Some health issues.  He was NOT a fanatical Vegan and often got kidded on the air.  Suiter was good.  Laid back.  He went with the Pack in ‘83.  You WILL remember that the PREVIOUS WRAL management adopted the Pack back then.  Not that way today.

Purely a matter of economics and also, perhaps, some political revenge.  Gravely was blindsided. That is a fact.  It was pure and simple cold, cost cutting politics.  

I hope Gravely lands OK.  I think he has at lest one college age child.  Really low blow. 
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,793
    Well, that is great.  Thanks for the heads up.
  • BasspackerBasspacker Posts: 215
    Welcome home Jeff !!  Look forward to more great coverage of Wolfpack sports.  Hopefully they will give him something good to cover.
  • 13OT13OT Posts: 82
    WRAL-TV is one of three Raleigh institutions that has regressed even further in the past 10 years than Wolfpack football, the N&O being the other. I'm happy that Gravely landed here.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 628
    I thought the N&D (Noise and Disturber). . .I mean the N&O. . .had gone downhill back in the late '80s.  :-)  Hard to believe they've gone even lower!