Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Updated: Dave Doeren Staying; Hux Fired

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,918PFN Referee
edited December 2 in Wolfpack Sports
I'm not sure how or when this one will play out.  When/will we'll hear a definitive statement from the athletic department about the current head man's employment status?

If he's here next year I'm fine with that considering the circumstances, but if he's let go I'm not kicking and screaming to keep him here either after last night's cherry on the top of that ball busting season.

Some of y'all are plugged in a little better than others so please keep us updated with rumblings as you hear them.

Comments

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,818PFN Referee
    This is NC State.  I expect nothing, and will somehow still manage to be disappointed.
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 338PFN Referee
    This is NC State.  I expect nothing, and will somehow still manage to be disappointed.
    Consider this stolen.

If memory serves, Ole Miss fired Cutcliffe after a single bad season in the post-Eli era.    That didn't work out so well for them.   I won't shed any tears if Doreen leaves, but if he's forced out someone needs to have a real plan....not just hopes.    
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,574
    Vawolf82 said:
    Consider this stolen.

If memory serves, Ole Miss fired Cutcliffe after a single bad season in the post-Eli era.    That didn't work out so well for them.   I won't shed any tears if Doreen leaves, but if he's forced out someone needs to have a real plan....not just hopes.    
    Yea. Ole Miss fired him after he went 4-7 the year after Eli left. He still won three conference games that year. They hired Orgeron (who had been an assistant at Southern Cal), and he went 3-21 in conference. 
  • PaperGuy95PaperGuy95 Posts: 10
    edited December 1
    #perfect  

Must be the collective trauma that was our college years... and every year since 😂.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,918PFN Referee
    edited December 1
    No surprise here but just hearing McKay is transferring out of the program. Tough break for the kid being a starter to open the season and finishing the season as 3rd stringer.
    No surprise here but just hearing McKay is transferring out of the program. Tough break for the kid being a starter to open the season and finishing the season as 3rd stringer.
    I wish him the best. Tough situation indeed. 
    edited December 1
    Presser after UNC game..

• oldtuffyoldtuffy Posts: 16
    Younger versions of me would be screaming for heads to roll.  Now just beat down by waves of mediocrity.  I would appreciate some potential names of either HC's to look at, and/or lists of OC/DC's for consideration in case we decide to ride this slow boat to sh#tsville for another year.  Who should we be considering?
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,273PFN Referee
    edited December 1
    Given we seemingly owe him just as much buyout money next year as we do if we make a move this year, then I would be making a move if I were AD.  I don’t think we can afford two empty recruiting seasons while letting the cheating ewes build further momentum.  

That is exactly what happened with Roy/HWSNBN.  I am not saying UNC is winning titles with Mack, but I fully expect Mack to quickly put State/DD in his rear view mirror.  The Coastal side of the ACC has been set up from day 1 to let them better compete. 

And let’s be honest about all this. NC State football is fine with 6-6 to 7-5 as long as one of those wins is UNC. It isn’t okay with 6-6 or even 7-5 with a L in that rivalry game.  

How many of our fans would have been willing to go with the injuries theme had we won 41-10 last night?  Would we even have this thread? How does DD go through a previous “one game ultimatum?” How can there even be a one game ultimatum?  It is because all that really matters is beating UNC (and to a lesser extent ECU).
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 565
    TOS 3pm meeting today.
  • Here goes nothing...

Mike Norvell HC (cheap buyout at $500k)
    Chad Morris OC
    Lane Kiffin. 
  • Kiffin would certainly add spice. I’d be good with that. Why the heck not?
    Evidently BC has higher standards for their football program than we do as Addazio is out. 
  • TOS 3pm meeting today.
    🤔... Nope...  Can’t get my hopes up...
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 354
    ryebread said:
    Given we seemingly owe him just as much buyout money next year as we do if we make a move this year, then I would be making a move if I were AD.  I don’t think we can afford two empty recruiting seasons while letting the cheating ewes build further momentum.  

That is exactly what happened with Roy/HWSNBN.  I am not saying UNC is winning titles with Mack, but I fully expect Mack to quickly put State/DD in his rear view mirror.  The Coastal side of the ACC has been set up from day 1 to let them better compete. 

And let’s be honest about all this. NC State football is fine with 6-6 to 7-5 as long as one of those wins is UNC. It isn’t okay with 6-6 or even 7-5 with a L in that rivalry game.  

How many of our fans would have been willing to go with the injuries theme had we won 41-10 last night?  Would we even have this thread? How does DD go through a previous “one game ultimatum?” How can there even be a one game ultimatum?  It is because all that really matters is beating UNC (and to a lesser extent ECU).
    Very very fair points, this year's difference is in the manor in which we got our asses kicked in that 6 game losing span.  That's history setting bad.  Combine that with the pathetic recruiting class coming in and how much progress Mack has made along with Claussen.  But who are we really going to entice to come here?  
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 338PFN Referee
    edited December 1
    How many of our fans would have been willing to go with the injuries theme had we won 41-10 last night?  Would we even have this thread? 

Since State didn't have an offense this year, your hypothetical score should have been 10-9.  :smiley:

But to your point, I can't think of a State coach who has been fired after a season with a UNC win.  I don't know anything about the new AD, but I don't expect DD to be fired after a single bad year after several good ones.
  • JpageJpage Posts: 51
    The BOTTOM LINE  is MONEY TALKS - BS WALKS !!  Nick would leave Alabama tomorrow if the money was rite! So now REALITY ! Get set for another shit storm of a year, players hurt, Transfers and awful recruiting class! We r the whipping post of the ACC, That’s the NC State way ! It’s the status quo ! We as rabid fans get sucked back in on a faint win from time to time! All we ever here are excuses ! The definition of excuse is a lack of desire!!
    We could theoretically be good next year.  I mean Dave is quick to highlight the excuses for our poor performances, but it's not like they are total bullshit.  If we get a QB worth a damn for next season along with the following points going in our favor and there's no reason we shouldn't expect to be pretty good.
    • Above average recruiting classes finally hitting the field
    • Young guys have real game time experience
    • More depth now that we aren't depleted with injuries
    Coaching staff has some glaring deficiencies for sure and absolutely needs to be addressed this off season.  From the presser I linked it sounds like that's something DD is aware of and willing to do.  Again, this ALL requires finding a QB worth a damn.

That's why I won't be mad if he stays.  Give him the opportunity to right the ship after the above average previous two seasons.  He's done it in the past.  Unfortunately Clemson stands in our way of ACC championship.. but they are kind of standing in everybody's way.

I'll say again to be clear, I also won't be sad to see him dismissed.  He rubbed me the wrong way since the first game of his first season where he was bitching about the fans.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 787
    He ain’t going nowhere, nowhere, he ain’t going nowhere.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,799
    edited December 2
    choppack1 said:
    He ain’t going nowhere, nowhere, he ain’t going nowhere.
    ER.....does that mean that "Pack ain't goin' NOWHERE, NOWHERE.....Pack ain't going NOWHERE"?  I doubt we (or more correctly, Boo) does anything....unless there IS a contingent of large donors.... NOTE....for folks that feel a CHANGE is needed....I CAN get you in touch with the Admission Committee that polices the strategy sessions and meets in the basement of Amedeos.....and YOU can pony up.  The voting is based on how much skin you have in the game.  Bring lots of "SKIN" (at least 5 Zero's to the left of the first digit) and you get a BIGGER vote.

Seriously....with BB at least looking a bit more positive....then I don't know if there is momentum.  HFBC DD's buyout is a funky structure.  The closer he gets (as in the years counting down), the higher it gets (but with fewer years).  At the end (maybe the last TWO years), he gets his BASE and SUPPLEMENTAL.  

We shall see what we shall see.  There is supposedly a secret vent pipe that is used for messages.  Red Smoke means that a vote has been taken.  Can't remember if black smoke means a NEW coach or that the combustion chamber needs servicing.  White has some other meaning.  I quit writing checks with 6 Zero's and they changed the codes and the colors.

OK....real info....so read up on it and you will be an expert around the water cooler or the bench in Pullen Park where the Pigeons defecate on you.....

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article209635379.html

The Alias Troll, I agree but choppack said it better than me and in less words !!! The same problems with corners and D backs NO IMPROVEMENT, QB, and various other positions sprinkle in less than average recruits spells we don’t have to worry about ANY championships. May have to start Booing Boo .
    None of this is Boo’s fault. 
    I mean if he just ignores this and doesn’t do something to rite the ship, wake the captain up or get a new captain ! That is somewhat in Boos lap !
    Jpage said:
    I mean if he just ignores this and doesn’t do something to rite the ship, wake the captain up or get a new captain ! That is somewhat in Boos lap !
    No, actually, his hands might actually be tied. Either that, or he doesn’t yet have his candidate in the bag. He doesn’t strike me as the type to act without a plan in place.