Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Memphis Tiger Style Game Thread

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,918PFN Referee
edited November 26 in Wolfpack Sports
Two 5-1 teams matching up on a neutral court at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY on Turkey Day!  It will be the 1st game since the Yellow Jackets that will actually shed some light on just what we have got for this year.

#16 Memphis will be without their freshman stud Wiseman sitting out for NCAA suspension (I wish they'd play him anyway just to give the middle finger to the NCAA) as well as without their wing player Lester Quinones who broke his hand.

At this point us State fans are thirsty for a REAL victory from one of our revenue programs.. it feels like it's been a while.. so this one would really feel great to have.  Enjoy your thanksgiving meals & families, fellas!
Will NC State celebrate with ice cream after eating Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday?
  1. Who wins?17 votes
    1. NC State Wolfpack
      64.71%
    2. Memphis Tigers
      35.29%

Comments

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,273PFN Referee
    edited November 26
    You beat me to it TAT.  I was just rolling in to do one.  Whoops.  Life......

On topic, Memphis has lost the following:
    - Wiseman: 23 minutes, 19.7 PPG, 76.9% FGs, 10.7 rebounds, 3 blocks  <-- that guy is good
    - Quinones: 24.8 minutes, 10.3 PPG, 43.8% FGs, 3.5 rebounds, 3 assists

It feels like Memphis has moved to a must win for the Pack.  The NCAA selection committee won't really take into account Quinones being out and returning as part of the selection process. They say they do, but they won't (see our games without Markell last year).  Memphis will be judged on their overall body of work, and that will get them in with a 4-6 type of seed, even without Wiseman.

NC State will be judged largely based on how we do against Memphis, Auburn, Wisconsin and UNCG (and the upper ACC teams).  Fair or unfair, that will be the determination. With the increase in conference games, I am fully convinced that even more importance is placed on the non-conference slate for determining where the bubble breaks, and then seeding.  Right now the ACC's bottom is doing the league no favors (Miami was blasted by UConn), so we need some middle and upper teams to get key wins.

Stylistically, I think KK said it best in an interview this week.  Watching Memphis looks like a mirror of NC State.  For quick comparison:
    - Points per game: Memphis 86.7, NC State 84.5
    - FG shooting %: Memphis 49.6, State 46.9
    - FT shooting %: Memphis 65.9, State 72.8
    - 3 pt shooting %: Memphis 30.5, State 33.3
    - Rebounds per game: Memphis 42.2, State 38.2
    - Assists per game: Memphis 18, State 15
    - Turnovers given away: Memphis 19.9%, State 16.4% (percent possessions)
    - Turnovers forced: Memphis: 26%, State, 23.4%  (percent possessions)
    - Blocks: Memphis 6.8, State 5.0 (a push sans Wiseman)
    - Tempo: Memphis 78.6 possessions pg, State 71.7
    - Offensive efficiency: Memphis 107.0, State 109.5 (strength of schedule adjusted)
    - Defensive efficiency: Memphis 91.6, State 94.3

Memphis rebounds it a little better and is a bit deeper. State shoots it and protects the ball a little better.

State and Memphis have had two common opponents, played back to back and both recently.  Memphis beat Alcorn State by 46 and Little Rock by 10 (both at home).  State beat Alcorn State by 23 and Little Rock by 16 (also at home).

Pomeroy likes Memphis by 1 on a neutral court.  That prediction has been holding steady for several games, so they don't seem to have incorporated Quinones's absence.  That's a "pick em" to a slight edge to the Pack.

This game will come down to whose pressure bothers the other team, which team rebounds better, and which team shoots better.  Yes that can generally be said about most basketball games, but with two teams that look so similar, any significant delta in one of these three stats will be what decides the game.

Enjoy a Thanksgiving basketball feast!
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,818PFN Referee
    At least we will have sommet to watch other than the end of that shitshow in DET
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 354
    These polls ALWAYS point out what we lack as wolfpack fans....optimism and rightfully so!!!  Lol

Go Pack, GET A DAMN WIN
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,798
    WHAT.....Optimism?  Blasphemy.  I say Blasphemy.  King and Sammy now have to wear the Scarlet B....a courier will visit you tomorrow and attach the equivalent of an Electronic Monitoring Device....  And WE WILL monitor you.

BTW....if you want a little extra money, then don't cover the lens when the mood strikes....  There are some folks, maybe reading this, that will pay GOOD for those videos....  As Charlie Rich would say....

And when we get behind closed doors
    Then she lets her hair hang down
    And she makes me glad that I'm a State Fan
    Oh no one knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Alternate Lyrics....

Then my partners lets their hair hang down....
    And that makes me glad that I'm a Real State fan...

If we start winning, then there will be a Conway Twitty Parody of... 

We've never been this far before....or at least not in the past 37 years....

Stay tuned.....

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 354
    Well well, how the tides have shifted in the poll.  I take credit for the public outcry but I will wear the B with shame.  
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 338PFN Referee
    At least we will have sommet to watch other than the end of that shitshow in DET
    Try living in at the Redskins broadcast region...the shit show is continuous.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,918PFN Referee
    edited November 26
    You beat me to it TAT.  I was just rolling in to do one.  Whoops.  Life......
    No worries man, I didn't see one up so I wasn't going to bother you with it being Thanksgiving weekend! Will let you get the next one if you'll be around (yours are better than mine and you are undefeated!) :)
    Vawolf82 said:
    Try living in at the Redskins broadcast region...the shit show is continuous.
    RedZone Channel.  Learn it, live it, LOVE it.  :smiley:
  • ESPN predictor is at 75% Wolfpack win... which I don’t know is a good thing 
  • Line has moved from +1.5 from when I first saw it to -2.0 for us. 
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,708
    Go Pack! Turkey almost ready. Dressing and Taters in the oven. Red Salad in the fridge. This is a must win. 
    at least CHI/DET ain't been as bad as predicted.  Still, glad to have the Pack on soon.
  • Cheaters getting an ass whoopin! Good food, a Cheaters loss, and a State win. Now that's a damn good today. Let's get it done!
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 345
    What channel? Mobile doesn't have the banner.
  • ESPN2
    Dudes, they have a guy named Precious??
    Needed to throw the lob there
    Fundy Triple!!
    Good first four minutes
    YIKES, Bev
  • wolfanaticwolfanatic Posts: 416
    memphis on a 9-0 roll
  • RickRick Posts: 1,595PFN Referee
    Our defense is just bad. 
    getting run out of the gym now
  • RickRick Posts: 1,595PFN Referee
    I just don't understand how KK can watch watch our defense and determine it is acceptable
  • WolfWiz11WolfWiz11 Posts: 208
    Lead given up like it was nothing