Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Cheaters Game Thread

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,918PFN Referee
edited November 22 in Wolfpack Sports
Woe is me.  Oh woe is me.

Feels like 2016 all over again.. can Dave salvage the season with an elusive W against the Cheaters?

Oooooh woe is me!

Comments

• Great job on the banner!  A small "win" already. 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,273PFN Referee
    It feels like 2016 all over again to me as well.... One game ultimatum, version 2.  Mack is going to take joy in his win.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,708
    The slobbering over Mack by ESPN will nauseating
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,818PFN Referee
    I refuse to acknowledge this impending travesty in any way, shape, or form.
  • JpageJpage Posts: 51
    Don’t worry boys, the good news is we r assured a win today, the bad news is there’s no game !!  Maybe we could borrow a few Clemson players, and a coach while we’re at it for next week ! It’s sad when the best player on your team is the punter !!
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 260
    Looks to be about 5,000 in the stands of that football hotbed that is Chapel Hill...
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,800
    Gloom despair and agony on me..

I could go on.

It is actually WORSE than 2016.

We have to pay more to have HFBC DD’s wife call a realtor.

We actually will be less motivated than 2016 (read that in a fortune cookie)

Boo ain’t gonna pull the trigger.  I don’t think the Wealthy donors have resurrected their offer to buy out a FB coach or “help” defray that cost.  They spent their excess petty cash on the V naming rights at Reynolds....and I am cool with that.

LASTLY.  Despite all the bitchin’ that one of my statements will prompt....  BOO AIN’T NO YOW.

He is not an AD that responds to fan input...or at least now the average Joe Fan variety.  I sent he and Bobby Purcell an nice and short email regarding the upcoming overhaul of the PNC.  I copied Rye’s comments and gave Rye full credit.  Bobby called me directly the next day.  He was in agreement with the problems and it will be a sticky wicket for the WPC to pull off...and I got the sense that the GALE FORCE was blowing really hard and it was directed at the WPC Members.....it don’t sound good.

Debbie would have answered in the middle of the night and copied a couple of her staff, assuming she thought it was pertinent, and I would have received a response and comments..  Either info on why I was full of it or thanks or whatever....but not just an IGNORE HIM.  NADA from Boo.  He failed the I CARE TEST.  

I think that Boo’s mission is to keep the Director’s Cup Fire Burning and bring in the diesel powered bellows to make us #1....   But that don’t include winning any major revenue championships.  He is SMART....certainly....but his past record is more of a “Liberal University AD” so that we will be able to show our medals and toast the success of our Title IX sports programs.

I doubt that the Bass and Rifle Team will get much attention and may disappear.  Found out that MANY universities have built 22LR ranges for their teams.   We collapsed to peer pressure and social media and dropped the 22 shooting when they refused to upgrade and relegated the team to Broughton basement where they were allowed to shoot “low velocity” AIR RIFLES.  This is the straight skinny from an ex coach.  The team does practice OFF CAMPUS with those horrible and noisy FIREARMS thingies.  They compete in only a few events.

i plan to disinherit NCSU and will eventually tell Randy why...but I ain’t no Wendell Murphy.

THAT is why I think we should start to focus on more Title IX stuff here.

I HOPE... that I am wrong...but the winds of change seem to be blowing and it has all the makings of a Hurricane Fran....and Boo is trying to allocate resources and supplies to save the Director’s cup rather than win any major bowl game(s) or tournaments.  

NOW...in fairness, he DOES have his hands full cleaning up the Gottfried mess.  I think Debbie let her personal judge of character “gut feeling” override reality.  But between Gary Williams torpedoing the search and Shaka’s wife deep sizing our first choice...she tried to pull out a rabbit....  turns out she did....  Boy has the libido of a bunny.

I don’t think that she ever thought that her personal friend of 20 odd years would stoop to such shenanigans and was capable of doing anything to feed his personal conquest drive...which also impacted his attention to BB court matters.

Like the spouse that finds out her hubby of 25 years has been banging the minister’s wife for 24 of them....it happens....   except now it is public...    And I did have a minister that I thought the world of and he was shacking up with his secretary for a long time before they got caught.  Never say never....about the need for folks to do things that are totally out of character with their public lives...

• Roo, do you have insider information that supports you hypothesis with Boo or are huh speculating?

He elevated Army’s football program while he was there and clearly cares about football with how many tweets he made about Army football.
    I posted the Wiki Article on him.  Go to the bottom of the page and click and read the press interviews and his comments.  He said, memory, that he was NOT concerned about Army's FB program (early on) in an interview with the Richmond Times and later on he focused on the Director's cup and Title IX.  I only ready 5 or so and did NOT get the feeling that he would do anything about Doeren this year....and that before the dumpster fire.

I had waited about 6 months to correspond with him.  My opinion soured after not even a form letter or a note from his administrative assistant.  I get those from Doeren and Keatts. 

He has to have a "mission" or developed a list of goals that Randy endorsed.  Right NOW....unless he comes out swinging, FB ain't one of them and maybe that is the right call.  BUT....I just don't know....and he does not have a vote of confidence from me in our first encounter..... 

Typically, most of the NCSU Department heads will respond personally or at least delegate downward to the staff member that is responsible.  In the Band Knealing Fiasco...., Randy got involved and Dr. Garcia reversed his position and took a realistic approach.  I don't know if OTHERS responded....so I don't know the backroom story.  All I know is that after 3 emails and "responses", the Chancellor and the Music Director reversed their stance and worked out a reasonable and acceptable solution.  Now, I did have some luck as the ECU thing blew up and major donors DID cancel future donations....did I use that.   NOT ME....of course I did....

In Debbie's case, my emails were sometimes about "Policy or Decisions" and she personally handled them....but when I wrote about administrative (like leaving the CF Seats out in the rain for 2 months after the season was over and not getting them removed) issues....and once she read my email, the "outside contractor" started removing them the next day.  They for whatever reason would leave on some Stadium lights or it would an afternoon BB game and I saw them.

Same for issues in the PNC and also FB game planning.  I had several of her staff give me their phones and followed, via Text, on game day the next time to see if all was resolved.

THAT is how she ran the department.  

Nope....do NOT have any moles in the AD.  I just don't think that Boo's priority is FB and maybe it should not be.  BUT....we should have been at least 8-4 or maybe 7-5, even with injuries and we botched the entire QB and new staff transition.  SO, I don't expect any overt actions.  If DD does a wholesale overhaul or maybe some tweaking....then MAYBE.  It seems to me that he needs to get a better Strength and Conditioning Coach.  The guy that Gott (YES....a compliment) hired worked for UCLA and is a consultant now.  He worked miracles on the BB team and Debbie elevated him to an AD staff position.  He left and was not replaced.  Our "injuries" might NOT have been preventable....but this year seems worse....

Hope this answers your question. 
  • Well I’m sufficiently depressed now...  Not surprised...  Just thoroughly depressed...
  • Thanks Roo
    I did NOT mean to cause the consumption of massive amounts of adult beverages...

I also, after thinking about the events, will make sure that eventually Rye's comments get to the right level as well as "on the record".  Just gotta work out the details....

We will see what we will see.  For the interim... I still don't think that we will be seeing any pressers where "regrettably, we have agreed to accept the resignation of....".  BUT, who knows.  I'm glad that I don't have Boo's job....even as much as I would enjoy the income.....but don't think it would be worth it at my age...

I would say "Cheer up...." but we know the punchline to that....

How about a chuckle....  A friend sent me these....I can't use them at my Senior's group as we meet at Church, but I know the little old gray haired ladies would snicker and cover their mouth....

Five Undeniable Facts 

A girl is said to be grown up when she starts wearing a bra. A boy is grown up when he starts trying to remove it. 

2   We all love to spend money buying new clothes but we never realize that the best moments in life are enjoyed without clothes. 

3   Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks is priceless. 

4   Breaking News: Condoms don't guarantee safe sex anymore.  A friend of mine was wearing one when he was shot dead by the woman's husband. 

5   Arguing over a girl's bust size is like choosing between Molson, Heineken, Coors, Budweiser and Tuffie.  Men may state their preferences, but will grab whatever is available. 

OUTTA HERE.....

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 354
    Adventuroo you have just blown my mind.  I love the post!!!  There have never been 5 statements made that are more true than yours.  
    Thanks for the details Roo.  Based on what you are saying, I think we have DD another year.

The most telling thing about the statements were about the big money donors. We owe DD either way (thanks Deb), so I guess we’re going to make him work for it.

I have never understood guaranteed buyouts. It sure seems like it takes some of the motivation (not all, these people are wired a certain way) away.  Shrugs.

I had originally though Boo would wait a year. The NCAA stuff in basketball (another gift from Yow) is happening right now.  I doubt Boo really wants to handle a search for the most important coach on his staff at the same time.
  • RickRick Posts: 1,595PFN Referee
    Yeah, Yow's legacy is tarnishing. 
    Bad contracts, NCAA problems, lack of revenue sports success
    Honestly, I do not get the adulation for her. Getting non revenue sports success isn't that difficult. Just spend money, which she did. Pay the coaches 25% more than they were making and you can easily get the best ones for a relatively small cost. Build better facilities. 
  • Now that bowl eligibility is no longer on the line for us, the worst thing about the inevitable outcome this Saturday is going to be the endless droning by the various commentators tooting Pappy’s horn while I’m trying to watch other bowl games or listen to sports talk during the holidays. I couldn’t even make it into work this morning without a mention of Papa Mack and the “great things he’s doing” on a local sports radio show. And this was on a local show out of Birmingham, AL. I can’t imagine what y’all in NC are going to hear day after day during the offseason.
    I do not listen to sports radio around here. It is so bad. Between the UNC knob slobbing and political discourse, it is not worth listening.
    edited November 25
    Rick said:
    Yeah, Yow's legacy is tarnishing. 
    Bad contracts, NCAA problems, lack of revenue sports success
    Honestly, I do not get the adulation for her. Getting non revenue sports success isn't that difficult. Just spend money, which she did. Pay the coaches 25% more than they were making and you can easily get the best ones for a relatively small cost. Build better facilities. 
    I think Yow's been what Maryland fans said:
    1) Great for non-revenue
    2) Smartest person in the room -- so respect from other ADs
    3) Generally runs a tight ship with high expectations
    4) Not great with the revenue sports
    5) $pending

I don't think that NC State (and our fans) wanted to see this, so they collectively went on the offensive against Maryland's fan base (that Big10 move helped), but I don't necessarily see Maryland being wrong.  Just like we weren't wrong to ASU fans about HWSNBN or to Ole Miss fans about old Noel "Red Zone" Mazzone many years ago.

I do get the love by many at State for Yow though.  After years of having our noses rubbed in it by our own administration (Fowler), or an AD that was a plant to dismantle us (Turner), or a failed basketball coach who we kicked upstairs because we liked him (Les), this was the first AD at State that really believed that NC State could achieve great things. Heck, Fowler woefully denigrated our fan base for even having any thought that NC State could be more than a mid-pack program that should be happy just getting participation ribbons.

My take on Yow:
    - Non-revenue: A and this isn't just spending money.  She made good hires and supported the coaches once they got here.  She didn't make moves that weren't necessarily needed.  Her work here was in line with the University's vision which was to be more well rounded and have perceived value outside of a handful of areas. The icing on the cake (or maybe the cake itself) was women's basketball, which is "the only real program we've got" to our own posters, so that one is an A+.

- Men's basketball: D-.  Initial coaching search, hiring Gott, renewing Gott (twice), not providing the appropriate oversight to Gott, letting Gott hire known bag men, and then letting Gott coach on after she fired him were all F worthy.  They resulted in possible probation, which is also F worthy. Even if it wasn't "her guy," we did hire KK so she has to be seen as a part of that.  So far he looks like the best men's basketball coach at State since V, so minimally she has to get points for not screwing it up.

- Men's football: C. She made a proactive move on TOB which was wise. He'd stopped recruiting and had a PR failure of epic proportions. She made a hire that seemed okay at the time.  That hire has had some good years, and some bad years. The mistake really was in not letting him walk. Let's be honest though that even this community was divided on that topic.  We can look back and find some (and I was one) who said "he's left it in a better place than he found it, let him go, the sun will rise tomorrow." We'll find others who said "pay the man. NC State is going to screw up by cheaping out yet again." It wasn't like that was a clear cut decision, and the fan base clearly wasn't in one camp.
    Oh and I am loving the banner.
  • I'd like to take this opportunity to ask those on this board who claimed during the offseason that DD's NC recruiting prowess and relationships with high school coaches, plus his game management and program management skills, were superior to the aged and far removed Mack Brown, we were better positioned, etc...and that we had nothing to worry about.., well...what do you think now? 

Best I can tell, you either fall into the following camps:
    1. Too early to tell
    2. Injuries decimated us 
    3. Or UNC cheats 
    Or a combo.

I fall into the he's clearly a better coach, program builder, and recruiter camp. He's quickly righted that ship, as was predicted by very few with eyes too badly clouded with Wolfpack red shades. I hope we grind them into the ground Saturday (unlikely) but we do not look like the better positioned program going forward
    Gas: While I agree with you, there's probably no need to rub it into peoples' faces (if this position is the correct one).  I think to your point, I didn't understand the NC State fans that didn't view Mack, and more importantly the signal that the cheating machine was cranked back up, as a significant threat.

This is Roy taking over for Doh all over again, but with a lower ceiling (for both programs related to football vs. men's basketball).  In both instances we're backing a mediocre coach whose modest success is in part due to the fact that UNC has been down.
    Rye,
    I agree on not rubbing people's nose in it though I have been sorely tempted. I would like this board to remain above that fray
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 354
    I'd like to take this opportunity to ask those on this board who claimed during the offseason that DD's NC recruiting prowess and relationships with high school coaches, plus his game management and program management skills, were superior to the aged and far removed Mack Brown, we were better positioned, etc...and that we had nothing to worry about.., well...what do you think now? 

Best I can tell, you either fall into the following camps:
    1. Too early to tell
    2. Injuries decimated us 
    3. Or UNC cheats 
    Or a combo.

I fall into the he's clearly a better coach, program builder, and recruiter camp. He's quickly righted that ship, as was predicted by very few with eyes too badly clouded with Wolfpack red shades. I hope we grind them into the ground Saturday (unlikely) but we do not look like the better positioned program going forward
    Mack is a better coach with a mantle full of very good energetic assistant coaches all of which are fantastic at recruiting and selling the brand, Mack not UNC.  Mack's first class as ranked by 247 is 16th nationally with 26 commits, 15 of those from North Carolina.  Dave Snorins' class ranks 44th with only 6 NC kids out of 17.  There really is no need to discuss any further who's program is headed in a better direction.  
  • My apologies if the tone seemed like I was rubbing noses in poop. Not my intent. The general tenor of the board seems to suggest folks are less than pleased but I genuinely wonder if that’s knee-jerk fandom or there’s been some serious fandom reappraisal of our situation
  • JpageJpage Posts: 51
    UNX will want to run the score up as much as possible to sell there BRAND even stronger. SAMLAM - U R dead on with your earlier post! I’ve been seeing DD slow down on recruiting for a while now thinking these recruits should come to him. I have friends who are connected to some pretty strong high school players trying to get DD and his staff to check these guys out which they never do they end up going to Georgia Tennessee Carolina Virginia to name a few and stars! How long do you think Ohio State Clemson Alabama those teams will do with records like ours! What would they be doing with their coaching staff? To pay the coach millions of dollars like we do and getting the product we have on the field now is pathetic. Empty seats in CFS will tell ! It’s a shame we got to deal with this BS a whole Nother year. I don’t see DD pulling this out of his ass this year !