Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

N.C. State vs Arkansas-Little Rock

ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,273PFN Referee
edited November 22 in Wolfpack Sports
NC State plays the third of three straight “tune up” games before the season really begins in earnest. The opponent is Arkansas Little Rock and the game is at 1 PM EST tomorrow.

The Arkansas Little Rock Trojans (3-2) are coming off a ten point loss @ Memphis.  The Trojans led through much of the first half and only trailed by 5 at half time.  The Trojans held the Tigers to only 39% shooting (23% from 3) and forced 19 Memphis turnovers.

This is State and Memphis’ second straight common opponent in back to back games.  Memphis blew out Alcorn State by 40+ while N.C. State looked largely disinterested against the same team.  That suggests a spoiler alert if the Pack doesn’t show up, but it feels more like an outlier from Memphis than a cause for concern.

Last year the Trojans were led by senior Rayjon Tucker who was a very good shooter and a hot commodity on the graduate transfer market.  They also had a big freshman Euro center who doesn’t seem to be on the roster this season.  They still finished last in the Sun Belt.

This year Little Rock is playing an “iron 3” man rotation led by sophomore PG Markquis Nowell, who has not subbed out of a game thus far this year. He is averaging 20 ppg on 47% shooting. The 5 ft 7 inch, 155 lb sophomore also averages 5+ assists and 3.6 steals per game.   

They have two other players who have played 85%+ of their team’s minutes.  The guys each average 10-13 ppg, but at some level if you are out there that many minutes on a mediocre to bad team, someone has to score and rebound.

Unlike last year when Tucker could heat up from outside, the Trojans aren’t a good three point shooting team.  Coupet shoots 45% from 3 but has only taken 15 of them.  Only three other players from Little Rock have even made a 3 pointer on the young season. 

Despite Nowell’s minutes, control of the ball and assists, Little Rock turns it over at a fairly high rate.  Memphis forced 26 turnovers and I expect the same against the Pack.

As a NC State fan, I am looking for the Pack to wear Little Rock down and win by 15+ points.  NC State has too much size and skilled depth and will apply pressure to the Trojans. 

I am also looking to see if Markell Johnson can find his shot.  Most of his attempts have been from the perimeter and he is trying to feature a step back 3 pointer that he seemingly added to his game in the offseason.  That’s a tough shot on a gimpy ankle, so State fans should watch and see whether he can start connecting.  The Pack will need him to shoot better than 16% from three if we are to play well during an important, upcoming 5 game stretch.
Poll time
  1. Who leads the game in scoring?12 votes
    1. Little Rock’s Nowell
      41.67%
    2. Another Little Rock player
        8.33%
    3. CJ Bryce
      16.67%
    4. Devin Daniels
        8.33%
    5. Beverley
        0.00%
    6. Andree
        8.33%
    7. Boots
        8.33%
    8. Bates
        0.00%
    9. Markell
        8.33%
    10. Hellems
        0.00%

Comments

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,273PFN Referee
    While not related to this thread, former Pack player Yurt7 put up 21 points, 5 rebounds and 4 blocks tonight against Duke.  Of course he also started the game with two fouls and finished with four.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,574
    I saw the game. Yurt is very much improved. He was the best player on the floor in the second half. 
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,093PFN Referee
    edited November 23
    Good write up.

From watching the games I thought Beverly shot was off but just looked up his stats and they seem similar to other years i guess I was expecting to much.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,708
    V beat Arkansas- Little Rock in the NCAA Tournament once. Go Pack!
    Good start so far.
    edited November 23
    He didn't actually do it instead he was fouled but it looked like Daniels was going to pass it after driving the lane.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,708
    We look really good today. Our best outing by far. 
    All look to be interested and healthy.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,799
    FUGLY call.  Second one that I have see.  Why do I care about HBBC KK’s shoes...unless they are the expensive Wuffie ones?

If ESPN+ ahead such a great crew, then why does the feed keep dropping out and the video is crappy?

Yurt is having a great year.  Wow....how F’ing wonderful.  Still haven’t figured out why he left...except to avoid embarrassing questions?  Oh well, we are STILL the PACK, 
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,818PFN Referee
    Forgot we were playing, too mad about Everton.  I see I missed square root of fuckall.
    I have read a few articles that Yurt-7 said there were a few incidences he heard about and did not feel safe. This was concerning his religion.
    I have read a few articles that Yurt-7 said there were a few incidences he heard about and did not feel safe. This was concerning his religion.
    That would be a shame.  I would fear more living where he is.  There were a few comments about how he eventually got here and how here and the smell....
    edited November 23
    That would be a shame.  I would fear more living where he is.  There were a few comments about how he eventually got here and how here and the smell....
    It seems you are hinting at something. I am not sure what though.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,818PFN Referee
    Dolla dolla bills, y'all.  That wasn't as heavily rumoured as DSJ, but would anyone be surprised?
    How good can Manny be in year 4, I wonder.
    Thanks i guess I would not be too surprised. I heard there is a new date for NCSU to respond to allegations Dec.9th. 
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 565
    Missed it.
  • RickRick Posts: 1,595PFN Referee

Except we had a prominent Islam player never have a problem. 

Rick said:

Yes.  When the Chapel Hill tragedy happened, Gottfried was prepared to call the game as the initial reports were a bit over exaggerated as there was a thought of a mass planned attack on Islamic people

There was a concerted effort for Abdul-Malik Abu to be able to blend in and also maintain his religious beliefs....

I sort of wondered about that...
    Rick said:

Yes, I am not justifying his decision or what is being reported that he said about leaving. From what I remember it was nothing directly related to him while in the program. 
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 787
    Rick said:

Yes, I am not justifying his decision or what is being reported that he said about leaving. From what I remember it was nothing directly related to him while in the program. 
    To Rick’s point, Abu was on the same squad and Engin  Atsur - who supposedly played a crucial role in Yurt’s recruitment played 4 years here without apparent issue. Of course, there are plenty of entities out there that would have you and want you to believe that N.C. State fans are nothing but a bunch slack-jawed yokels. And yes, these same entities would certainly not be above planting that seed in someone else’s head either.

Yurtseven’s decision to relocate to Washington comes during a nationwide rise in Islamophobia and anti-Muslim hate crimes. According to Yurtseven, there were “a few events” that caused him to feel uncomfortable in Raleigh. He declined to elaborate with more specific details, but the Raleigh area has recently seen several high-profile acts of Islamophobia, some violent. ....

“Omer is already a very good player and will be a valuable addition to our team,” Ewing wrote to the Voice. “I want him to add a few more things to his game, but I want him to get the joy back into playing basketball again.” ...

“Knowing that a place respects my religion is definitely important,” Yurtseven said. “It just comforts you.”

https://georgetownvoice.com/2018/08/31/in-his-comfort-zone-omer-yurtseven-comes-to-georgetown-for-basketball-community-and-religious-inclusivity/

• WolfWiz11WolfWiz11 Posts: 208
    Rick said:

I think Yurt is more readily recognizable as Muslim. Yes, Muslims come in all shades, but I think if you ask most people in the States, they would point to Yurt7 as being Muslim before they would guess that Abu is. Think of it as an immutable trait that Yurt7 can't really turn on/off (of course, not as an immutable trait is technically defined by SCOTUS, i.e. race or gender). So it's just easier for Abu to blend in.
  • WolfWiz11WolfWiz11 Posts: 208
    Further, as someone who currently lives in the DMV area, I can say that this place is a pure melting pot, despite some saying it's technically the south.  There's a huge amount of diversity here--Eritreans, Ethiopians, Nigerians, Indians, Koreans, Vietnamese, Ghanians, Latinx persons.  Of course, no place is perfect, but I can definitely see why some would perceive this area as more tolerant, if not respectful, of diverse experiences.  Add to that the backdrop of government, politics, and international relations, and I can't fault anyone for feeling the way Yurt7 feels.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 787
    What were the high profile events in the Raleigh area (or was it the Chapel Hill area)?