Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

How did NC State stumble to 1-5 in the ACC? It’s not just about injuries

freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,093PFN Referee

By Joe Giglio 

…  in 2016 N.C. State coach Dave Doeren was particularly pleased with the height of his new freshmen class.
Doeren wanted to get taller and longer at the skill positions and even though the 23-man class wasn’t rated very highly nationally (No. 50 by 247 Sports), he was content with the talent haul at receiver and in the secondary ..

Through transfers and disciplinary decisions, N.C. State began this season with only 10 players left from the class, which should be the true seniors or fourth-year juniors on the roster. Injuries are a problem this season, but Doeren had a roster imbalance before any of the injuries hit.

On top of that, the wave of injuries has hit that group remaining from the class of 2016 the hardest. Five of the 10 players remaining from that class are out for the season with injuries. ...

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article237575574.html

Comments

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 786
    With this year’s recruiting class we are setting ourselves up for another 2016 class and 2019 results.
  • No worries, we're basketball fans now. 
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 338PFN Referee
    The poor QB play insured that this would be a bad season. The  injuries probably made it worse....but this was destined to be a bad year with only that first, crippling deficiency.
  • BasspackerBasspacker Posts: 162
    So what is supposed to be the point to the article?  Pack fans should be more understanding because of the injuries and departures?  Or Pack fans should be upset for DD letting the program be where it is in year 7?
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 345
    Bass, I figure that depends upon how you view it. I can go either way ... as being a Pack fan has always been bipolar.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,093PFN Referee
    So what is supposed to be the point to the article?  Pack fans should be more understanding because of the injuries and departures?  Or Pack fans should be upset for DD letting the program be where it is in year 7?
    Yes. : )
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,708
    We were worried about breaking in a new QB in the preseason. Little did we know we’d get to practice breaking in a new QB three times in one season. 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,273PFN Referee
    Texpack said:
    We were worried about breaking in a new QB in the preseason. Little did we know we’d get to practice breaking in a new QB three times in one season. 
    It feels like we broke a whole team in at least twice....
  • Just think of all that experience that the young team got this year. At least that’s what they will tell us next year. 
  • RickRick Posts: 1,595PFN Referee
    Texpack said:

I still remember posters talking about how we had 3 great QBs. Common sense knew better
  • Rick said:
    Texpack said:

I still remember posters talking about how we had 3 great QBs. Common sense knew better
    We must have been comparing them to the QBs in Dave's first year.

Anyway, let's hope basketball keeps heading in the right direction to ease this pain.
    Rick said:
    Texpack said:

When you have three QBs, two of which have never played a down in your program of live game action, and the third had played less than a half in total the entire previous season, yet still cannot decide, it is pretty obvious not to expect much.  Any doubt of that should have been removed in game 1 when the guy who won the starting job couldn’t complete a forward pass beyond 5 yards, yet also couldn’t run.
  • Forget the one recruiting class...  He’s 21-34 in ACC play & 24-39 against Power 5 schools.

Just scanning the data, it ain’t recruiting classes that jump out, it’s Eliah Drinkwitz...  Doeren is 7-26 vs the P5 w/o Drink & 17-13 w/ him.  Two of the four seasons w/o Drink, we had Starting NFL QB Talent... result vs P5 for the Jacoby years? 6-11...
  • Serious question.  What do you think our record would have been this year if we had the same exact coaching staff as last year? 

Personally, I think we'd be going to a bowl with 6 wins, but I don't think we'd be that much happier than we are currently.
  • I think the biggest difference would have been the QB position, in that whoever won it at the start of the season would have held on to it and progressed. In terms of wins, I believe we would have finished the season with 6 or 7 (regular season). For any program that’s a massive difference during a “rebuilding year” contrasted with 4 wins. 4 win seasons in year 7 of a coach’s tenure typically means starting over at HC. I’m curious to know what type of programs have ever held on to a HC after such a season in year 7+.
    With Drink and Ledford? We’d be 7-5 even with the injuries.  The schedule is historically weak.  

Also it wouldn’t have taken 2/3rds the season to get to Leary.  We would have started him against the cupcakes and his development would have been further along.
  • 100% agree with rye...

The full Spring, Summer, & Fall with those guys...  Huge difference...
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,708
    ryebread said:
    With Drink and Ledford? We’d be 7-5 even with the injuries.  The schedule is historically weak.  

Also it wouldn’t have taken 2/3rds the season to get to Leary.  We would have started him against the cupcakes and his development would have been further along.
    This exactly 
  • One of my Ohio State grad colleagues asked me today “with all of the NFL QB’s NC State has had through the years, why haven’t they won more?” Sigh....
    One of my Ohio State grad colleagues asked me today “with all of the NFL QB’s NC State has had through the years, why haven’t they won more?” Sigh....
    I had a Clemson buddy ask me the same this week.  He was at the game in Raleigh and said “man, State is struggling.  What is going on? You guys have had talent....”