Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

NC State vs Alcorn State men’s basketball

ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,273PFN Referee
Grumble... A rather nice next game write up was just lost when my cell plan flaked.  I’m on the road this week and am in transit.  Given I’m typing on a mobile, we’ll go with the abridged version.

Alcorn State is 1-3 and just got crushed by Memphis 102-56 (sans Wiseman).  They were picked 9th out of 10th in the SWAC despite having two upperclassmen on the preseason all conference team.

The Braves are deep and play 9 in heavy rotation.  They also guard the 3 point line fairly well (or every team they’ve played couldn’t shoot).  

The negatives for Alcorn State are about everything else.  They don’t shoot well, don’t rebound well, give up 2 point FGs at a rate that makes NC State’s 2 point defense look terrific, turn the ball over and don’t force turnovers.  

In short, this is a bad team that isn’t going to help the RPI, though it might be fine in the NET with a big win.  Expect State to roll in the second of three tune up games before the Thanksgiving showdown with Memphis.
How big of a college sports fan are you?
  1. Without looking, where is Alcorn State located?22 votes
    1. Arizona
        0.00%
    2. New Mexico
        0.00%
    3. Texas
      13.64%
    4. Oklahoma
        4.55%
    5. Alabama
      18.18%
    6. Arkansas
        4.55%
    7. Mississippi
      27.27%
    8. Missouri
        4.55%
    9. Louisiana
      13.64%
    10. Florida
        0.00%
    11. Tennessee
        9.09%
    12. Kentucky
        4.55%

Comments

• 79pack79pack Posts: 11
    Thanks for putting this out - good writeup, especially on the cell!
  • mook21mook21 Posts: 2
    A game in Reynolds, sigh... even being Little Reynolds it is still home to me. My son goes to VCU and I went to the VCU vs. LSU game and the atmosphere was electric, noisy and as close to the feeling at Reynolds as anywhere I have been to watch a basketball game... BUT still did not have the deafening noise of Reynolds of old... The noise meter, the 3 metal seats connected together in the end zones that you could pick up and slam down, the heat, and everyone screaming. At VCU, the older people are still a bit quiet even when the game is on the line. I miss the old magic of Reynolds. I despise games at the current arena, went to several and have never gone back, such a dead experience. We should tell the Hurricanes to do the reno themselves and build an "improved Reynolds" on Centennial Campus with maybe 15,000 seats.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,918PFN Referee
    Excellent write up again Rye.  Amazing that you did it on mobile.. I can barely get through a sentence or two on my phone before it drives me nuts.

We are 32 point favorites tonight!  Hooray!
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,093PFN Referee
    edited November 20
    Real early lid on the basket don't think it will last.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,818PFN Referee
    yep, no challenge tonight.  Barely a scrimmage.
    edited November 20
    Thunderburk
    Layup drills.
    There really just ain't no point playing teams this lousy.
    Third team reps?
  • WolfWiz11WolfWiz11 Posts: 208
    Excellent write up again Rye.  Amazing that you did it on mobile.. I can barely get through a sentence or two on my phone before it drives me nuts.

We are 32 point favorites tonight!  Hooray!
    No way we cover the spread
    It's boring for the fans, plus the team also gets bored and drifts into shitty habits.
    I hope Beverly finds his shot before the main part of conference play. 
    I agree about bad habits coach needs to set these guys down and bring in the next group who want to hustle and grind.
  • WolfWiz11WolfWiz11 Posts: 208
    Well, that was a lazy ass possession
    Undisciplined team imo playing down to talent. Some of that is on the point guard imo.
    How many end to end layups are we going to give up.
    2nd half more disciplined so far and good subs by coach too.
    I couldn't watch any more, was killing my (already on life support) brain
    Nice short thread = we are cruising!
    It's boring for the fans, plus the team also gets bored and drifts into shitty habits.
    Agreed.  This game doesn't make us better.
    Reynolds' camera angles also blow monkeys.
    edited November 20
    i'll tell yall what though.. Alcorn state doing these coast to coast layup drills.. I mean come the fuck on.  Call a time out and go Bobby Knight on someone already.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 354
    edited November 20
    mook21 said:
    A game in Reynolds, sigh... even being Little Reynolds it is still home to me. My son goes to VCU and I went to the VCU vs. LSU game and the atmosphere was electric, noisy and as close to the feeling at Reynolds as anywhere I have been to watch a basketball game... BUT still did not have the deafening noise of Reynolds of old... The noise meter, the 3 metal seats connected together in the end zones that you could pick up and slam down, the heat, and everyone screaming. At VCU, the older people are still a bit quiet even when the game is on the line. I miss the old magic of Reynolds. I despise games at the current arena, went to several and have never gone back, such a dead experience. We should tell the Hurricanes to do the reno themselves and build an "improved Reynolds" on Centennial Campus with maybe 15,000 seats.
    Mook.....as I say quite frankly at work, that just makes too much sense.  From my experience, in person experience there was no louder a venue than Reynolds in it's prime.  Cameron gets wayyyy too much overhyped credit but I won't venture off topic.  I will never ever forget the NIT game against West Virginia...I think 1997 or 98 (first two years run together a bit for me).  The place was so loud it literally made your ears ring.

But we all know how great the place was.  Just like my opinion of a football coach, for state to be good/great we need some sort of intangible or unique edge like a overly passionate football coach or a cozy arena like Reynolds.  We have neither
  • 79pack79pack Posts: 11
    Yep, ears ringing and throat hurting for days after seeing us go toe to toe with the best in the country - not just the ACC but teams like the Kelly Tripucka led ND team.  GREAT times - but I think we can get back if we stick with a coach like KK and give him time to build it.  
  • RickRick Posts: 1,595PFN Referee
    I watched a few minutes of it but watching our defense is painful for me. I watched Hellems make a bad reach, get burned and no one rotated to help which led to an easy layup. And that happens every time. 

Good defense means you are not reaching, you are sliding to stay in front of your man. You are not crossing your feet. You are not jumping trying to block every shot. Its really atrocious and until that is fixed I do not expect significant improvement.