Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2019/20 College Hoops (other games thread)

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,918PFN Referee
edited November 6 in Wolfpack Sports
Go Irish!  A lot of ACC conference games to open the season.. UVA @ Syracuse at 9 tonight.. WF @ BC right now with BC rolling, FSU @ Pitt at 8pm.

Comments

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,570
    A lot of action last night. 

UVa no problem with Cuse
    BC over Wake. 
    UNC over ND. 
    Pitt over FSU. 

Here are some of Boeheim’s thoughts on opening with conference games (i.e. a stupid idea):

"I wish we'd have won, so when I say it, what I'm gonna say would matter, but when you lose nobody wants [to hear it]," he said. "You never want to to play these league games early. It's stupid. It's just a money grab. They got scheduled games for TV, for the TV contracts so you've got to play games early. And then somebody had the brilliant idea of open up the first game with a league game. I just don't think it's good, I don't think it's smart. You want to build up to the league. The league's the most important thing, so why would you play the first game of the year in the league? Makes no sense to me."

Boeheim would find that most if not all ACC coaches agree with him on this. He made sure to note that you never want to play a team like Virginia right away because of their elite ability on defense and because offenses usually need a bit more time to find a groove. 

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,798
    Wulfpack said:
    Here are some of Boeheim’s thoughts on opening with conference games (i.e. a stupid idea):

"I wish we'd have won, so when I say it, what I'm gonna say would matter, but when you lose nobody wants [to hear it]," he said. "You never want to to play these league games early. It's stupid. It's just a money grab. They got scheduled games for TV, for the TV contracts so you've got to play games early. And then somebody had the brilliant idea of open up the first game with a league game. I just don't think it's good, I don't think it's smart. You want to build up to the league. The league's the most important thing, so why would you play the first game of the year in the league? Makes no sense to me."

Boeheim would find that most if not all ACC coaches agree with him on this. He made sure to note that you never want to play a team like Virginia right away because of their elite ability on defense and because offenses usually need a bit more time to find a groove. 

John Swofford just texted his wife and staff.  Jimmy B just got kicked off the Christmas card and party list.
  • As a coach, I would agree.  They could make it a non-conference game, and make it a challenge (Coastal against Atlantic).  While I am sure it would be a pain to schedule, it could be bigger than just a game. 
    Utah beats Mississippi Valley State by 94. 
    Wulfpack said:
    Wow....  Utah is purported to be a “religious” entity.  There was certainly no mercy in the score .... makes the comment about God being vengeful take on a whole new meaning.   Let’s hope that we don’t share this experience tonight....

https://www.google.com/search?q=utah+vs+mississippi+valley+state&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,708
    Wulfpack said:
    Wow....  Utah is purported to be a “religious” entity.  There was certainly no mercy in the score .... makes the comment about God being vengeful take on a whole new meaning.   Let’s hope that we don’t share this experience tonight....

https://www.google.com/search?q=utah+vs+mississippi+valley+state&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
    Looks like they beat the hell out of them. That’s religious. 
    Texpack said:
    Wulfpack said:

TOUCHE    Marvelous.....great comeback....
  • 4in124in12 Posts: 152
    ...  Utah is purported to be a “religious” entity.  ...
    BYU is the "religious" entity in the state of Utah. They like to say that Utah is a bunch of heathens.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,918PFN Referee
    lol nice
  • yeah.
    Kentucky.
    right.
  • yeah.
    Kentucky.
    right.
    😜
    This just in.....  Services will be held for Goliath at a TBD Chapel....  final arrangements will be announced once the next of kin have been notified

Evansville upsets No. 1 Kentucky at Rupp Arena in first-ever matchup

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/evansville-stuns-no-1-kentucky-at-rupp-arena-67-64

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

Note the comment on the background of the Evansville coach..

Cal was classy....  I wonder if he was as classy in the locker room after the game or in today’s practice
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,273PFN Referee
    edited November 13
    That Kentucky upset was awesome.  I don’t like them, and don’t like the squid.  The blues in general could lose every game they played from here on out and it would be fine by me.

I watched a little of Memphis/Oregon last night.  Oregon earned a good win, granted one front of a partial crowd. Memphis is tall across the board and oozes talent but I saw very little in actual coaching (or effort) in that game out of them.  

Memphis continued to play Wiseman.  It was hilarious to hear Bilas try and spin that. He argued that the NCAA could effectively do nothing. I didn’t once hear “they might suspend Memphis from the tournament” out of his mouth.  I have zero respect for Bilas.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,918PFN Referee
    bumping this thread!  folks were looking for this :)
    Va Tech looking pretty good again tonight. Picked 14th in the ACC 
    Axe ‘Em Jacks!
    SFA with an epic OT win in Cameron. 
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,093PFN Referee
    edited November 27
    Duke loses to Stephen F. Austin. 150 non - conference win streak broken at Cameron that started in 2000. Duke was 27.5 favorites.
    edited November 27
    Duke loses to Stephen F. Austin. 150 non - conference win streak broken at Cameron that started in 2000. Duke was 27.5 favorites.
    OMDG....

Are the Physical Plant Finishing Technicians working through the night to remove all the burned and singed paint and the blood that Mikey required to team to “let” as punishment?  What about the open fire where Mikey heated his coat hanger brandin’ Iron and permanently seered the flesh on their chest with the date and score and their individual box stats?

I’ll bet that was one grumpy old guy.  If Dickie, Lickie Vitalle was there, I’ll bet that they ran down the AED to bring him back.

May God (and Allah and Buddha and all the Hollywood Stars) have mercy on poor Winthrop on Friday night.  There will not be anything left of them but the charred and shredded jocks scattered in 10,000 pieces on Cameron’s floor.  You KNOW the Winthrop coach ain’t gonna have a good T-day as he prepares his little David’s for their skirmish with the wounded and rabid Goliath devil dogs.....
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,273PFN Referee
    edited November 27
    Duke did not look good.  They can’t shoot and the half-court offense is to hope that the center gets a put back. 

A Duke buddy of mine who really follows college basketball said this was the worst #1 ranked Duke team he had ever seen.  He thinks that they’re a top 6 ACC squad and a 10-25th ranked team.  This proclamation was made on Sunday.  It looked pretty prophetic. 

I also think K is starting to show his age....
  • That’s the most enjoyable sports highlight I’ve watched in perhaps my lifetime 
    I randomly flipped over after seeing it on the guide with about 6-8 minutes left in the first half. The bad part of this is that the only Duke lover I know out here graduated from ..........SFA. 

SFA had at least five other snowbirds besides the one that won the game. They ate Duke up inside. Only hit 2-3 three pointers while I was watching. Lots of good movement off of the ball and tremendous interior passing. 

Spam for Thanksgiving in the Duke athletic dining hall tomorrow. 
  • That is one of the "worst" losses of all-time, if you factor in spread, playing in Cameron, Duke being number 1, etc. 

Kentucky and Duke both suffer humiliation at home against teams that shouldn't be able to hold a candle to them.  All this with a couple of the most successful coaches of all-time and complete with a roster full of 5 star players.

What does this say about the state of the game?  To me, this is what happens when you roll in a class of freshmen year in and year out and try to get them to gel as a team immediately.  Kids develop at different rates and what might not be a weakness in HS turns into one in college.

Perhaps Mikey doesn't have the energy for it like he used to, but listening to his interview on ACCN, he still has the passion and the right attitude to get these kids all going in the same direction right away. 

I was actually considering going to that game, just to say I've seen a game in Cameron.  Now I am bummed I didn't. 😋
    GoFundADukeSlayer

Interesting....  especially the GoFundMe page at the end.

Dig deep...Dig often

https://www.newsobserver.com/article237821914.html