Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Women's Basketball thread: Only real team we have.

RickRick Posts: 1,595PFN Referee
edited November 6 in Wolfpack Sports
Team opens tonight against NC A&T. I have season tickets but am going to miss the game due to a commitment at church. I hope to catch the end on ESPN3. Team is ranked and has a ton of talent including 3 5 star freshmen (one McD AA) coming in. Cunane could end of being an AA before she is done. 

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,918PFN Referee
    Rick, since this is likely year long thread I went ahead and modified your thread title just a little bit so it's easier for folks to find it throughout the year!  Hope that's okay.
  • RickRick Posts: 1,595PFN Referee
    Good idea Troll. That is why you get paid the big bucks. 
    I think I will be the only one posting in this thread anyway. 
  • I enjoy watching the women play.  Between ESPN3 and the ACCN I imagine we'll have even more options.

Will be interesting to see how he incorporates the highly touted Freshmen along with returning players.  

Praying for a healthy year!
    edited November 6
    Rick said:
    Good idea Troll. That is why you get paid the big bucks. 
    I think I will be the only one posting in this thread anyway. 
    (but seriously I think I clear maybe ~5-$10 a month from that Amazon link lol)

Actually there was more interest in women's hoops on this board than I thought based on your previous polling thread.. think this one could be pretty active if we can stay near the top of the polls.

Yeah we are bringing back a ton of talent if they all heal up. It is a shame Ealy played in that tournament and messed up her knee. I talked to Grace this summer (my daughter went to the State women's bbal camp and she said she would be fully back by season start. We bring back senior leadership, great shooting, tremendous post play and great recruits. One of the biggest questions I have is how Moore will play them all because in the past he seems to play a short bench. 

BTW I know I am probably talking to deaf ears but if you are more than 40, the women's game will look like the basketball you grew up watching. Fundamental team basketball. 

• wirogerswirogers Posts: 61
    Rick, I like you posts on the womens game and the followup.  Here in Big Ten (maybe they will learn to count some day) Country I get nothing in the news about Womens BBall.
  • I echo wirogers comment...being in Cincinnati it’s hard to find out much about how the women are doing other than the box scores. I appreciate the updates and insights. 
  • "...the women's game will look like the basketball you grew up watching."
    yes.
    no dunks.
    Girls cruising to the win over A&T.
    I only saw the second half so I have to idea what they really liked like. Good to win the first one.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,093PFN Referee
    edited November 7
    Much slower game with obvious drop off in athleticism.

Don't agree that they are the only real team Ncsu has. 

I watched some of the game and try to watch the ladies play when I can. They appear to be in good form and I think were able to play the whole team enough so that all scored. When they play in Tallahassee i am usually at the game. I like for Ncsu teams to do well.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,570
    Much slower game with obvious drop off in athleticism.

Don't agree that they are the only real team Ncsu has. 

I watched some of the game and try to watch the ladies play when I can. They appear to be in good form and I think were able to play the whole team enough so that all scored. When they play in Tallahassee i am usually at the game. I like for Ncsu teams to do well.
    It is a much more pure form of basketball, and the coaching really matters. 
    Wulf,
    Good way to describe it. I enjoy watching it. Better team ball but no question there is a huge drop off in athleticism. 
    Not sure what a pure form of basketball is and I would agree that coaching matters and imo coaching really matters when playing against similar talent level teams.
    Not sure what a pure form of basketball is and I would agree that coaching matters and imo coaching really matters when playing against similar talent level teams.

Its not for you. No problem. I enjoy it and even more so I enjoy spending the time with my daughter
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,570
    The fundamentals in the women’s game is l better. There is also much more an emphasis on teamwork, and team defense. 
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,798
    edited November 7
    Wulfpack said:
    The fundamentals in the women’s game is l better. There is also much more an emphasis on teamwork, and team defense. 
    Call me a DITTOHEAD.....I am.

The level of 3 PT shooting seems better.  The girls hit FT (hey....we set a record so far back that Howard Baum can’t find it....when we were 20 of 23 against GT).

More team work.  More emotion.

OUR men’s team ain’t typical of the “Franchise” player(s) that folks rush to Duke or UNC or whomever to see.  What you see is pure BB and the glory and work is spread around...

• I enjoy watching both the Men's and Women's games.  Results aside, I get less frustrated watching the women play.  Perhaps that is defense,perhaps that is something else.
    Gso,
    For me it is the lack of stupid plays. The girls make them but it is much more rare. 
    Rick said:

Its not for you. No problem. I enjoy it and even more so I enjoy spending the time with my daughter

What is not for me? As I said I watch and support them when I can. I enjoy watching them play and am glad they are doing well. 
    edited November 7
    Rick said:

What is not for me? As I said I watch and support them when I can. I enjoy watching them play and am glad they are doing well. 

My bad. I am not trying to argue with you. 
    In fact, you are right it is not the only real team we have but it is the only real successful team we have. 
    Rick my man!  Banner record for women's opponent record is blank?
    Too lazy to look it up
    Rick said:
    Too lazy to look it up
    I assume that with parenting, work, church and civic service, etc that your day is crowded.  UNCW be 0-1.

thanks for all you do for us...
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,273PFN Referee
    Roo: Not to take anything away from the ladies and their skill level, but the ball is smaller.....

I am darn impressed by Oregon.  They beat Team USA today.  Wow....
    ryebread said:
    Roo: Not to take anything away from the ladies and their skill level, but the ball is smaller.....

I am darn impressed by Oregon.  They beat Team USA today.  Wow....
    Thanks.  Did not know that.  Women’s is “ smaller.  Maybe that explains their free throw and J percentages