Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Make Sure My Red Blazer Is Clean

“I’m not wearing black to your Daddy’s funeral. We need to make sure my red blazer is clean. I’m wearing my red blazer for NC State.”  This was what my Mama had to say as she and my sisters started discussing my Daddy’s funeral. 

Texpack Sr (BSME ‘50) is in hospice. His final days are here. He has only the Syracuse game tonight to complete his days as a Wolfpacker. He watched basketball games in Frank Thompson Gym, was in the stands for the opening of Reynolds Coliseum and Carter Stadium. His classmates at State included C.A. Dillon and Norman Sloan. He had an old box radio that we used to listen to State games on. Mama said the only station it would pick up was WPTF. I heard DT score 55 against Buffalo State, Ted Brown rush for 251 yards against Penn State, and Stan Fritts bust a 53 yd TD run through the middle of the Cornhusker defense on that radio. We watched the 1974 National Championship run together. In ‘83 we celebrated over the phone throughout the run since I was a State student at the time. 

Week before last when I was home he said he was looking forward to basketball season. He always has. 

Hopefully the Pack can get a win tonight and close out an incredible run for my Dad. 

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,777PFN Referee
    Oh man I really hate to hear that, Tex.  Your father as well as your family is in my prayers.  I hope you don't mind if I pin this thread to the top for a little bit as a show of respect.  Will be rooting extra hard for the boys tonight for ya.
  • Thoughts and prayers to you and your family, Texpack. Regardless of the outcome tonight, the red blazer is a “win” in my book.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598
    TexPack,

Been there many times with parents and inlaws and friends.  Gets WORSE when you are outliving your peers and have to help with the final arrangements for loved ones.

Prayers seem trivial....but they do, in our opinion, help.  Hope the Pack does a great job tonight.

I would also comment on a service that I attended locally in Cary.  Flowers were RED and WHITE and the minister commented on the deceased's love of NCSU....more times than a politician touting his accomplishments during his inauguration speech....

Instead of the typical "recessional" hymn (In the Garden, Amazing Grace, Nearer my God to Thee, Lord, I'm coming Home, etc) that is the usual "selections", the family had the organist play, with vibrato and also volume and enthusiasm....."The Caissons Go Rolling Along....".  We immediately knew WHY and many smiles, as well as tears and such were observed.  If appropriate, then that might be a fitting memory and also "seal the deal" with God.

Just a comment....that service got me to thinking of some "tunes" to be played when I am horizontal and can't crack a joke or be involved in the "Celebration of a Life" (since it MY life that they are celebrating....but did not actually invite me when I was among the living)....  Probably better than Toby Keith's "Ain't as Good as I ONCE was...", which I am SURE would be rejected by my "Planning Committee"....so you take what you can get...

Good Speed and Hope that whatever happens....happens in a manner that is dignified and also merciful....

GO PACK...  

If you decide to do this and need sheet music or such, contact me and I will try to get the Music Department involved....

I teared up searching for this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIcuDyhS9Kk

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,508PFN Referee
    Best wishes, man.  Sports does connect the generations very, very well.  It certainly has in my life, too.
  • SQLWolfSQLWolf Posts: 91
    edited October 11
    I hope Texpack Sr is treated with all the dignity and honor he has the right to have. I hope you have had the opportunity to spend quality time with your father. I was blessed to have a few hours in long conversation with my dad before he passed this summer. I hope you can find peace in letting him go when it is his time. I offer you my sympathies. Go Pack!
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 304
    Prayers up,  man. Lost my pops a few years back. Still think of him often. You get through it, not over it.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 946PFN Referee
    I pray God's blessings for him and your family. Thanks for sharing.
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 452
    My father passed away exactly one year ago when the clock hits 5am tomorrow.  Writing the obituary was tough but beneficial in the long run.  I read it over often.  Prayers.
  • PackPACPackPAC Posts: 227
    Prayers for you and your family Texpack
  • YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 458
    One of the toughest things I've ever done was the eulogy in July for my cousin who was also my best friend.  Cried my way through the first half of it until I could get my composure.  Getting old is not for the faint of heart.  When you're 20 you think you're gonna live forever.  At that point you would never dream you'd have to write an obituary or give a eulogy for someone you love.  That reality brings home just how fragile and precious life is.  
    Tex, my prayers are with you my man, all of us know your pain.  Luckily you have great memories and a lifetime of deep love for him.  At this time there's nothing else more precious than that from my perspective.
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 248
    edited October 11
    Tex-Kudos to mama on her blazer choice-I wore our clan's Tartan tie to my Scottish-born maternal grandfather's funeral years ago and heard from a couple of my siblings that 'it was not appropriate for a funeral'. Granddad's widow (also a Scot) smiled and hugged me when she saw the tie...
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 290
    This really puts things into perspective.  
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,042
    Sorry to hear it Tex. As my grandfather used to say, “getting old is hell.”
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598
    ryebread said:
    Sorry to hear it Tex. As my grandfather used to say, “getting old is hell.”
    I postulated, casually, my own Moore’s Law, when I was in my late 50’s  For very birthday, after 50, divisible evenly by 5, your aches and pains and physical issues doubled.  It be worse....as I approach 75 and have more “ist” practitioners than I care to count...  may have to use 2 as the divisor and not 5....

Tex,  hope things are going as peacefully and with dignity, as they can.

At least there was a W on Thursday night....
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,513
    Thanks to everyone for their comments and especially their prayers.  Things are peaceful and he is comfortable. Also thank you for letting me share this part of my relationship with him. Not many people can relate to that as well as those that populate these boards
  • HighstickHighstick Posts: 296PFN Referee
    Glad he got to see State beat Syracuse..Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.