Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

So this NBA thing

Is really blowing up.One misguided tweet has pretty much set this issue, which was already a tinderbox, on fire.

And how hilarious is it? No league has been more woke than the NBA. Now, these guys are exposed for either the communists or hypocrites that they are.

WWND? Will some brave reporter ask Nike about this? What about Kap? He’s probably all good.

Comments

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 121
    Can't stand the NBA anyway -- liked the '70s and '80s NBA best.  Like the NFL but wish they would keep the politics out of it. 

Would say that MLB is the one to follow that doesn't have the issues.  However, they have had their issues in the past and I don't watch a lot of games anyway.  Wish I could pick up a team on the radio here in Rockingham County.

Probably best to just turn on the picture with the sound off and watch the players play.  That way I won't have to listen to the commentators.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 732
    Not sure you realize what’s going on here. This has VERY little to do about sports. If you haven’t noticed, folks on the left and right are criticizing. Sometimes, it takes a durn game to change things.
  • The NBA gets to make some serious decisions here and now.  Very curious to see what they do.  If they think they're going to soft peddle change in the behavior of the Chinese Government, they'd be seriously confused.  

Figure out if you're about $ or princples.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 947PFN Referee
    I think they have already chosen along with espn.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,288
    I think we should stay away from political issues on this site. That said, I fully support Silver’s defense, as freedom of expression is a right our nation holds dear. You can debate either side of the issue - what really isn’t debatable in America is that we all may voice our views. And I agree this is a bipartisan issue, not a right vs. left. 
  • Not a right vs left thing for me anyway.  Just curious whether Adam Silver and the NBA significantly modify their behavior just for the allure of money in China.

At first blush, they haven't and they support Freedom of Speech.  However, when the coverage dies down a little bit ...
    I don’t think Silver caves on this. China just doesn’t get our values (nor would I expect them to). 
    What do you mean cave? He hasn’t stood up to China or showed any support for Hong Kong. Not one single NBA player has had a negative thing to say about their “boss”. Interested in what you think “caves” looks like, unless you think he’s actually caving to human rights.
    Silver has said that the NBA honors the league’s commitment to freedom of expression. Houston’s GM’s tweet SUPPORTED anti-government/human rights protests in Hong Kong, which in turn infuriated the Chinese government. Silver’s defense of the GM’s freedom of expression then infuriated the Chinese (SHOCKING quote below), who are now taking punitive measures against the NBA. The NBA is now paying the price for the tweet. Silver has said he hopes to meet with the Chinese very soon, but will not back down in defending American constitutional values. See his quote below. 

Chinese quote:
    “We are strongly dissatisfied and we oppose Silver's claim to support Morey's right of free expression. We believe that any speech that challenges national sovereignty and social stability is not within the scope of freedom of speech.”

Silver’s quote:

“Values of equality, respect and freedom of expression have long defined the NBA — and will continue to do so. As an American-based basketball league operating globally, among our greatest contributions are these values of the game," Silver said.

"It is inevitable that people around the world — including from America and China — will have different viewpoints over different issues. It is not the role of the NBA to adjudicate those differences," he added. "However, the NBA will not put itself in a position of regulating what players, employees and team owners say or will not say on these issues. We simply could not operate that way.”

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,508PFN Referee
    This is the kind of shit that makes me SUPER DUPER EXTRA GLAD not to be on social media.  I seriously hadn't heard of it until just now.
    This is the kind of shit that makes me SUPER DUPER EXTRA GLAD not to be on social media.  I seriously hadn't heard of it until just now.
    Its been all over the news, not just social media. 
    If directed by the NBA, then it is certainly hypocritical. We’ll learn more soon about why the reporter was shut down for asking a legitimate question. 
    Wulfpack- the NBA has an NBA Academy in Xinjiang. You know what else is happening there? This is the same league that refused to play an All Star game in Charlotte because of HB2. Yet, that little statement you quoted indicates they are NOT caving? Please. 

Silver may eventually do the right and the smart thing, but for now this league which prides itself on social justice, is just hoping this goes away so they can go back to spending all that $$ from China. 
    I see your point. You are looking at this from a larger vantage point than I was. I agree though that boycotting NC for HB2 but not boycotting China is indeed hypocritical. 
    Wulfpack said:
    If directed by the NBA, then it is certainly hypocritical. We’ll learn more soon about why the reporter was shut down for asking a legitimate question. 
    Why do you think these coaches and players who have been so outspoken are quiet as Church mice? Maybe it’s just group think. I think that’s entirely possible. It’s not like these folks are being guided by a moral compass. It’s classic groupthink. It’s not based on core moral beliefs and this crap never has been. 

I hope this crap hits Nike too. And it’s not left or right. (Plenty of folks on the left have spoken out forcefully). It’s all about whether you are truly bothered by injustice and love your fellow man or not. And if you love your fellow man, you don’t boycott a city who tried to implement a law when the state passed a knee jerk reaction in response to it. (While, uh. Houston hadn’t passed their non-gender bathroom bill. These guys are bullies...and what do bullies do? When they can hurt you they will, but if you are stronger, they leave with their tail between their legs and move on to the next weaker party.
    Agreed, Chop. 

Golden State Warriors star Steph Curry, who spends part of his summers in China promoting Under Armour gear, avoided taking a stand on China when asked about it after practice at the Biofreeze Performance Center in San Francisco on Wednesday.

“This one is a league-wide situation and our presence in China is just a different conversation,” he told reporters. He said the situation was different when Warriors head coach Steve Kerr talks publicly about gun violence or gender equality because the latter makes a big impact for “people who can’t speak for themselves within our communities” in the U.S.

The NBA-China rift escalated off the court in Philadelphia on Tuesday night when a fan was ejected for causing a stir by holding a “Free Hong Kong” sign during the game. Arena security removed Sam Wachs and his wife after he ignored three warnings from Loong Lions team security, the arena said in a statement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/10/sports-agents-warn-players-to-avoid-china-talk-as-nba-walks-fine-line.html

So it was not directed by the NBA:

"A team representative inappropriately interjected to prevent CNN's Christina Macfarlane from receiving an answer to her question," the league said in a statement issued Thursday. "We've apologized to Ms. Macfarlane as this was inconsistent with how the NBA conducts media events."

The NBA put out one statement reacting to Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey’s tweet in support of the Hong Kong protest movement.

Depending on which language it was read in, the league’s words had very different meaning.

https://apnews.com/9c3df9a26a464a86990b59f89602b854

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,777PFN Referee
    edited October 10
    Yall play nice in this thread and we'll leave it open.  I don't have a clue what this story is about (nor care to), but just keep it CIVIL amongst yourselves.  Will close it down at first sniff of being shitty to one another or to other's ideas/opinions.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598
    Silver is the best physical and also intellectual example of WOKE Hypocrisy that you could ask for.

NBA caves to all the critics and do goodies and folks that tweet their sainted BM’s to their massive social media ditto heads.

NOTE....a LOT of the folks that jumped on the Bathroom scandal or HB2 are from the Left Coast and make big bucks for bring “talented and entertaining” and getting paid outrageous bucks for movies and TV shows and singing and dancing and showing how they can shake their scanticlad booties.

OPPS.  Read some of the financial pages and see how heavily that Chinese investors have purchased movie and production companies and PR and talent firms.  Then, wake up and smell the coffee and realize that in China, you have to be royalty or bribe the government so that you are allowed to be an “entrepreneur or investor”.  So, the Chinese government controls THOSE that make money...or our loose definition of “Big Business”.  Except in China, the government controls it and it you do not play ball, you are history....Jimmy Hoffa style.

Tim  Cook caved and the Chinese (or maybe Hong Kong) Apple Store shut down and removed an APP that the Hong Kong protestors were using to track and avoid the Chinese Police.  No hypocrisy THERE.

Having dealt with Outsourcing, it is common for firms to get US contracts that are fulfilled by Chinese Labor Pools.  That is diplomatic speak for PRISON LABOR.  Way back in the late 90’s we had strict criteria for selecting vendors.  We sent in inspection teams and despite our best efforts, the “agents” that were our interpreters and guides started telling us that one factory could not be toured as the guards would not let you in.  BINGO.  off the list.  Many metal fab parts or sub assemblies come from Chinese vendors that use prison labor.  These parts are brought into othe4 Chinese factories for final assembly and the “origin” certificates are as bogus as Nike’s AAU antics.

Steph Curry and Steve Kerr are now mouth pieces for the NBA machine.  They had a wonderful opportunity to use Curry’s popularity to revitalize the NBA.  BUT the big bucks they earned and all the pandering eventually impacted their psyche and the became delusional and drank the Kool Aid and figured out that shooting  trey or coaching gave them a God like wisdom and it was their bounden duty to lead the world into political correctness.

Opps.  China ain’t PC.  And all the Hollywood pileron’s are now feeding at the Chinese trough....and realize that if they weigh in, they TOO, might be punished as was NC....

love it.  Reality comes to the tongue waggers and PC finger pointers...  
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 121
    choppack1 said:
    Not sure you realize what’s going on here. This has VERY little to do about sports. If you haven’t noticed, folks on the left and right are criticizing. Sometimes, it takes a durn game to change things.

Chop,

Actually, I had already heard about it and knew what was going on.  Decided not to go down that path but go the sports route.  But I do appreciate your insight.

As far as to what I think of the NBA, just follow the dollar signs.  To them money comes before country, meaning they have compromised themselves to have a BIG market in China and play by the Chinese rules.
    Wulfpack said:
    I see your point. You are looking at this from a larger vantage point than I was. I agree though that boycotting NC for HB2 but not boycotting China is indeed hypocritical. 
    Yeah wulf - I see this as one of those rare issues...where folks on both sides of the aisle are looking at each other and going, “can you believe this?” 

Everyone in this league has has been so outspoken...and now, this? Maybe they weren’t told a thing, but sometimes training kicks in.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598
    1984Met said:
    choppack1 said:

Chop,

Actually, I had already heard about it and knew what was going on.  Decided not to go down that path but go the sports route.  But I do appreciate your insight.

As far as to what I think of the NBA, just follow the dollar signs.  To them money comes before country, meaning they have compromised themselves to have a BIG market in China and play by the Chinese rules.
    Lead paragraph from an article where Steve Kerr was questioned.  He was quoted.  Later on he said...."No Further Comments until I can get fully versed on the issues" or words to that effect.  Basketball....it ain't about.....SPORTS DOLLARS and a TOUGH STANCE by a Foreign Government....and the Capitulation of the NBA to protect their $$ and keep the Player's Union from sniping at Silver....  

Here is the lead and such....

Steve Kerr, head coach of the Golden State Warriors, told reporters Thursday he has never been asked about “human rights abuses” that take place in the U.S. when he visits China.
    "No. Nor has our record of human rights abuses come up either,” he said after a reporter asked if he had been questioned about Chinese human rights while in China. “People in China didn't ask me about, you know, people owning AR-15s and mowing each other down in a mall.”