Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Game manager? What is that?

GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 647
edited October 6 in Wolfpack Sports
I'm serious. I have no idea what Doeren and posters are talking about when the say "game manager.

The QB  doesn't call plays, He doesn't position players on the field. What do his duties as "game manager" entail? McKay has been called a good "game manager" by DD. Mac is the only QB I have ever seen take a delay of game penalty on the first play after the opening KO. Drew another delay of game penalty when we couldn't get the right number of people on the field.

SSo, what does a QB do to "manage the game?"

Comments

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,288
    Game manager is a term thrown around a lot. It basically means a QB that limits risks, and allows the strength of the team (running game or defense) to win the game. 
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,513
    Trent Dilfer was a game manager. It means somebody you don’t rely on to win the game but you do rely on them to not lose the game. 
    My HS qb was a game manager. He only threw one INT all year on our way to a state title. Zero fumbles. He might have thrown 6 TD passes, and we beat our opponents by an average of more than 25. We had a stellar run game (two of our RBs went D1), a world class defense, and the best kicker in the state. While he was a leader, he was asked just to take care of the ball above all else. 
  • jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 168
    Trent Dilfer is a great example. Another from the college ranks is Greg McElroy. Considering that we don’t have a dominant enough defense and/or run game to “carry” our team, in my opinion we don’t need a “game manager”, rather we need a guy that can lift the other players and make plays. It may have worked against ECU, Western Carolina, and Ball State, but as we can see not so much against more equally talented opponents.
    Trent Dilfer is a great example. Another from the college ranks is Greg McElroy. Considering that we don’t have a dominant enough defense and/or run game to “carry” our team, in my opinion we don’t need a “game manager”, rather we need a guy that can lift the other players and make plays. It may have worked against ECU, Western Carolina, and Ball State, but as we can see not so much against more equally talented opponents.
    Clemson and Wake are the only quality opponents on the schedule. The rest are as bad or worse than us. GT? A really bad football team. 
  • "Game Manager" means...
    wait until next year.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,042
    I know that grey was being facetious with the original question, but I am with JP.  A game manager is fine if everything else is top notch (the Alabama QB McElroy is the perfect example), but that isn’t NC State.  We need a guy who can go win a game, and that has been the case for my entire lifetime.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,508PFN Referee
    Agreed, Rye.  I also don't expect that TO CHANGE in my lifetime.  If Doeren thinks a "game manager" will ever be sufficient, then we in trouble.
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 304
    We don't need an NFL All-Pro like Rivers (although it helps), but we need an above average QB who can make plays. At least a Jaime Barnette, who was one of my favorites. Terry Harvey also rings a bell. Shane Montgomery could throw it, too. Don't think any of those sniffed the NFL.
  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee
    Heck we have had 5 NFL level QBs in the past 2 decades and still have nothing to show for it. I think it is obvious we need a top QB to be even a little above average
  • Rick said:
    Heck we have had 5 NFL level QBs in the past 2 decades and still have nothing to show for it. I think it is obvious we need a top QB to be even a little above average
    Or a better mix of coaching, game planning, and play calling.  😒

To the point of a game manager, I've talked about how I believe it's DDs (and TOBs) nature for "Safe" QB play.  There is a time for "safe" and I think we are at the point where we need to be thinking anything but. 

I'm not expecting DD to throw caution to the wind, but let's expand our willingness to take a risk. 

Bottom line, if we're concerned about being safe, we'e gonna get rolled because I don't think Dino is going to play "safe" when he rolls into town this week!
  • realpackfanrealpackfan Posts: 169
    We don't need a game manager...we need all the help we can get. 
  • revdmillsrevdmills Posts: 9
    NFL Example... Kyle Allen is filling the role of game manager right now. Not doing anything special but the Panthers are winning again because he’s not doing a lot of stupid things to cost them the game.
    revdmills said:
    NFL Example... Kyle Allen is filling the role of game manager right now. Not doing anything special but the Panthers are winning again because he’s not doing a lot of stupid things to cost them the game.
    Exactly. His passing numbers the past two games are nothing to write home about, but he hasn’t done anything stupid to cost the team a game. McCaffrey and the defense is carrying the team.