Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Syracuse Game Thread

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,777PFN Referee
edited October 2 in Wolfpack Sports
Early line on this home Thursday night game has us as 3 point favorites.  Syracuse has been demolished by it's only "real" competition this year (L vs Clemson 41-6 and L @ Maryland 63-20).

This one is winnable and is much needed if DD wants to avoid the heat really getting ratcheted up by the fans.  A loss here would really start to feel like the wheels coming off.

Hopefully this timely bye week will provide for some adjustments and improvements on all fronts.

Go Pack!

Comments

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,288
    Very winnable with even marginal QB play. 
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 732
    I dunno. Our offense can’t afford to keep going 3 and out. Time for our new offensive leadership to stop running such an offensive offense.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,513
    One of my favorite NC State football moments of all time was the surprise two pointer to beat Cuse at their place in OT.  MOC used up all of his daring on that one play.
  • This will be our one game we watch in CF this year.  Hate to admit it but I've already mentally prepared for a loss and am making plans to make it enjoyable in spite of the product on the field.  I'd like to see more of Leary. 
  • Wolfblood86Wolfblood86 Posts: 226

Offense has to step up. I know we like to give a lot of crap about our defense but I was reading on BTP that yards per play (excluding WVU of course) on defense has been significantly lower than the opponents' average yards per play for the season thus far. And if you really think about it, we spotted FSU two touchdowns because one defender was misaligned and barely attempted to make the tackle and gave up TWO 3rd down stops due to idiotic decisions by defenders. Got to stop giving up the big plays.

The defense is young and could be something really special in a year or two or even later in the season. I wouldn't be surprised if Payton Wilson was required to steroid test every week. He is a beast!

So in a neutral spot I guess we would be even with Syracuse. This is a winnable game. I said it before but defense isn't going to win us the game. Should be interesting to see who is going to start at QB. We have to get more offensive push to keep our defense off the field as much as possible and of course score more!

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,042
    We can and will get this win.  Hopefully we see a lot of Leary.  Even if he stinks it up, playing Leary will get DD a lot of good will with the fans.
  • wolfanaticwolfanatic Posts: 351
    "This one is winnable."
    I really really want to buy into that, but it's quite the leap of faith these days.
    I'm guessing that McKay probably gets the nod at QB, but like others, I'd like to see more of Leary.  It's still a bit of a head-scratcher to me as to why our staff thought that McKay was up to the task after watching him in practice and limited mop-up duty for two years.
    Who knows? Maybe he'll surprise us...there's a real leap of faith.
    It’s winnable because I’ve seen Syracuse a couple times and they are just as bad (if not worse) than us. 
  • I've been impressed with our defense so far.  As noted above, with the exception of a few big plays, they've done very well (general impression only, not based on stats.)  Offense has been pretty putrid.  One advantage of going to the game is I won't have to listen to some uniformed announcer saying "I don't see why NCSU changed QBs?".  Here's a clue, three 3 and out possessions plus the previous horrid games. Do these guys prep at all?  Also, not one mention of NCSU at half time or post game. It was all FSU.  We were just the other guys they played.  Seems we should be able to put some pressure on "our" network to give equal coverage.
  • two bad teams.
    i'm with the over.
  • jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 168
    Texpack said:
    One of my favorite NC State football moments of all time was the surprise two pointer to beat Cuse at their place in OT.  MOC used up all of his daring on that one play.
    Same here! McNabb vs Barnette, right? IIRC it was Holt that caught the 2-pt conversion. Definitely a classic.
  • realpackfanrealpackfan Posts: 169
    Sorry, not hopeful.  If 12 days can improve a really "not good " looking team, great.  I really think that the coaches have a lot of work to do. 
    My solace is that Syracuse has looked very much "not good" as well.  I watched the Cuse / Maryland game, and the Cuse's defense made the Maryland offense look like the best in the nation. 

That's the same Maryland offense that did not score in a 59-0 home loss to Penn State. While I don't think Maryland's offense is that bad (probably a down week), they're not anywhere near as good as they looked against the Cuse.

For years, NC State has been the opponent that helps a team get back on track.  Maybe the Cuse is for State?
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598
    Sorry, not hopeful.  If 12 days can improve a really "not good " looking team, great.  I really think that the coaches have a lot of work to do. 
    God created the earth in 6 days....I wonder if even God can do a HGTV Makeover or Renovation and produce a respectable winning team (not a Top 25) in 12 days....even without the perfunctory 7th Day of rest.  I guess we shall see.

If  HFBC DD accomplishes such....then he can do late night talk show gigs walking across swimming pools....

Then we could all sing the parody lyrics from The Great Jesus Christ....Sooper Star.

Still, I'm sure that you, DD, can rock the cynics if you tried.
    So, you are the Coach... you're the great Wolf Pack Coach.
    Prove to me that you're no fool; walk across my swimming pool.
    If you do that for me, then we'll increase your fee.
    Come on, King of the Coaches....

My DW just cut off Caffeine for the REST of the day for me....
     B)  >:)
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,513
    Weed need a repeat of our performance in Austin a few years back at some point this year to steal a win and get to 6-6.  I'd rush all 11 on both punts against Klempson and Wake.  It will be our best chance to score.
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 312PFN Referee
    "This one is winnable."
    I really really want to buy into that, but it's quite the leap of faith these days.

Much further than I'm willing to leap.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598
    Vawolf82 said:
    "This one is winnable."

Much further than I'm willing to leap.
    Suggest that ALL LEAPERS have the harnesses and the safety nets checked by professionals and also verify the procedures....as well as the EMERGENCY drills....because even Superman ain't that optimistic.  YES....we SHOULD win....but we should have WON against (FIB) and that did not happen....
    I'm not going so far as to say "should" win.  I'm saying we can win, and I think we'll get it done.

Of course I also didn't think we'd get waxed by WVA and FSU.  I'm quite possibly holding onto a more optimistic view.
    Well, we can all wait for next Thursday and see what miracle the coaches perform.  It will have to be a miracle or else. 
    Russell Wilson..
    Seahawks vs Rams tonight!!
  • oldwolfoldwolf Posts: 101
    Hockman names starter, with Leary as backup and McKay 3rd in releases depth chart
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,777PFN Referee
    edited October 7
    What a Charlie Foxtrot the QB situation has become.. McKay from starter to third string is interesting.

I'd say main goal for next year is to get a good QB on the roster.  Should certainly be do-able with our QB->NFL pitch.  That plus supposed better talent hitting the field feels like that would put us back on track.

This year, however, seems like it's done.  Hope the kids don't give up though!  That's likely to be DD's next big task to tackle for this season is keeping them engaged and focused on becoming better.
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 304
    I'd switch Hockman and Leary each quarter or so. See which one (if either) works. Leary had some nice passes; Hockman stood in tall and tough, made plays with his feet, but his passes had 50 percent chance of coming to their intended target, 50 percent chance of hitting the other team's jersey square in the numbers. I know Leary only had a few snaps, but FSU was still blitzing, not just sending 3, and he moved us a good bit. Without a fumble by a WR, he has a TD.
  • RadmanRadman Posts: 20
    I would have started Leary but that's why DD makes the big bucks. Hope they both get some time.
    Our game at BC (10/19) is at noon (on Regional Sports Network).