Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Mike Leach

SALT LAKE CITY -- Washington State coach Mike Leach has never been one to hold his thoughts.

After two tough losses, including a 38-13 thrashing by No. 19 Utah on Saturday night, Leach let loose on his feelings about his team and its performances, describing the Cougars as "fat, dumb, happy and entitled."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27725266/mike-leach-rips-fat-dumb-washington-state-players-loss

Comments

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,042
    Leach is a jerk and has been for years.  Newsflash coach, if they are all those things, who enabled them?

i cannot stand it when a dude paid millions blames a lack of success of the virtually free labor.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,777PFN Referee
    edited September 29
    It's the players fat little girlfriends fault too
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,288
    Totally agree, Rye. They are your players, so...
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 732
    edited September 30
    Welp. I think as far as jerks go, most successful coaches at least have a high “jerk” quotient. Leach is definitely smart and a way above average coach. He would probably go 5-3 here every year and get us in our first New Year’s Day Bowl without cheating. He’s basically Bobby Knight without the physical violence and the in game tantrums.
    Way above average coach? Really? He’s 33-32 at Wazzou in the crappy Pac whatever. 
    In Leach’s defense Wazzou is one of the toughest, if not the toughest, P5 jobs.  There’s not much to sell, and very little local talent to sell it too.  Washington and Oregon are options 1 and 2, and the big four California schools are probably next.  It takes a true contrarian to win there, much like to takes at Texas Tech (which he put in the top 10).

I don’t buy that all great coaches are jerks.  For every Saban, there is a Beamer. Leach is like Knight I’m how he treats humans, and that isn’t good.
    Dabo is certainly not a jerk. Those kids love the man. 
    Wulfpack said:
    Way above average coach? Really? He’s 33-32 at Wazzou in the crappy Pac whatever. 
    Ummm. He took over for a coach at WSU who was 4-32. How does that compare? By the way, the previous coach was 17-25. How does that compare?

Heck, no coach at N.C. State has sniffed that record after 6 years since Dick Sheridan, much less 9 years. He’s a great coach. His teams generally stink on defense, but he will win in conference more often than not, unlike all other coaches we have had since Sheridan. But please, let your uninformed opinions get in the way of facts.

ryebread said:

I don’t buy that all great coaches are jerks.  For every Saban, there is a Beamer. Leach is like Knight I’m how he treats humans, and that isn’t good.
    Rye - you’re smarter than that. I said most.

Coaches are usually alpha dogs and most alphas are jerks. Heck, Dean Smith had a huge jerk factor if someone didn’t “kiss the ring.” Coach K - a lot of former players probably think him the jerk as well.

Some folks don’t like to be pushed. Some folks don’t like to be told they have more to give than they are giving. 

Look at the NFL - the most equal of the sports. Bill Belichick, Bill Parcels, Tom Laundry, Vince Lombardi.
    choppack1 said:
    Wulfpack said:
    Ummm. He took over for a coach at WSU who was 4-32. How does that compare? By the way, the previous coach was 17-25. How does that compare?

Heck, no coach at N.C. State has sniffed that record after 6 years since Dick Sheridan, much less 9 years. He’s a great coach. His teams generally stink on defense, but he will win in conference more often than not, unlike all other coaches we have had since Sheridan. But please, let your uninformed opinions get in the way of facts.

Ok, but it’s the shitty Pac whatever, the worst of the P5s, and way down the past few years with Oregon’s demise. Going .500 in that conference doesn’t do much for me, sorry. And yea, he’s a tool and always has been. 
  • Football is not a unique thing.  I think you could swap Coach with CEO and the percentages would be similar.  Leadership is a funny thing.  Some people try to achieve it through fear and some through "(tough) love".  Being able to adapt and show that you give a crap for your people/players is usually a critical component though.

Not a big Leach fan, but he is typically refreshingly honest, or at least amusing.

Btw, let's see how Leach's rant impacts his team's performance the remainder of the season.  Maybe it's just a big ploy to motivate his players.
    Wulfpack said:

Ok, but it’s the shitty Pac whatever, the worst of the P5s, and way down the past few years with Oregon’s demise. Going .500 in that conference doesn’t do much for me, sorry. And yea, he’s a tool and always has been. 
    The Pac12 would wipe the floor with the ACC top to bottom.  Our second best team (Wake) struggled to beat Utah State at home, not Utah.  Clemson would beat UW, but after that it would get ugly.  

Chop: Fair enough.  My response was admittedly a bit of a straw man.  I agree with your point that most people with high standards are viewed as jerks by those being held to those standards. I just don’t like that as an excuse for Leach.  He is a great coach but a complete jerk.  There’s no way I would send my kid there, much like I’d have never let them play for Knight.
    Agree on the Pac 12 vs. ACC, Chop. Top to bottom, yes, better than the ACC. But the two conferences are pretty similar, and the ACC does have the top program in college football. With Oregon and USC down, the Pac 12 has been up for grabs for years. Washington has been the most consistent program. But I’m not willing to go so far as to say a .500 record in that conference, or the ACC, qualifies as “way above average” or “great”. What Leach did at Texas Tech was stellar, but his Wazzou stint has been rather mediocre. 
  • HighstickHighstick Posts: 296PFN Referee
    Wulfpack said:
    The players??  I've heard exactly the opposite from some parents.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,508PFN Referee
    100% agreed, the PAC and the Big Twaaaalve (minus 2) are really good conferences, they just suffer perception-wise by not being so top-heavy as the ACC and B1G.
  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 647

Highstick said:
    Wulfpack said:
    The players??  I've heard exactly the opposite from some parents.

Players are like their parents. Some would complain no matter who was coaching.
    Dabo is cold blooded.  Don’t kid yourself.  He has a great media persona though.
    I don’t know if you read the recent and highly interesting SI article on Dabo and the Clemson program, in regard to its clear focus on Christianity, but it explains a lot. Whatever you think of Dabo, he is by all accounts a man of fervent faith, and he and his staff encourage players to follow suit. The program has not been found to break any laws at this time. It is absolutely a recruiting selling point to those like-minded parents and players. 
  • Wulf, I read that article and he's impressive.  He puts it out there way more than I do, which I don't really care for, but I try not to hold that against him too much.  However, like a Belicheck, ya gotta give him his due regardless of whether you like him or agree with him. 

• One more thought.  The thing I've been most impressed about with Dabo is when he benched Bryant in favor of Sunshine last year.  I wonder how many other coaches would have done that when Bryant was "good enough".  
    One more thought.  The thing I've been most impressed about with Dabo is when he benched Bryant in favor of Sunshine last year.  I wonder how many other coaches would have done that when Bryant was "good enough".  
    Great point! 

And I am also in no way like Dabo in the way I carry myself. But he uses it all to his advantage, which you can’t fault him for. The proof is in the pudding - he is luring in top flight players year after year. Same with Saban at Bama. Saban is by no means a nice guy, but it doesn’t matter. Kids want to be seen and win to have a chance at the next level.