Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

GT Hoops Gets Probation, 1 Year Postseason Ban

The NCAA Committee on Infractions on Thursday placed Georgia Tech men's basketball program on four years' probation and banned the Yellow Jackets from playing in the postseason in 2019-20 because of violations involving impermissible benefits.

The Yellow Jackets will also lose one scholarship for each year of probation, along with other recruiting restrictions, and were fined $5,000 plus 2 percent of its men's basketball operating budget.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27707238/ga-tech-gets-probation-1-year-postseason-ban

Comments

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 290
    GROW A SET SOMEONE!!!!!  OUT THE NCAA AND UNC
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 732
    That’s bad news for us. I hope GaTech pushes back hard against this and takes their fight to the national airwaves. This is absurd.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 947PFN Referee
    If GT gets that What do they have planned for us I wonder.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598
    WRAL has a similar article.  Let’s show the world what kind of disciplinarians we are and kick the feces out of teams that are irrelevant.  That way, statistically, we can show how powerful we are...without hurting the favored ones....

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncaa-hits-ga-tech-with-postseason-ban-4-years-of-probation/18659519/
  • Here’s what GT’s AD should say to the basketball team right before they storm the NCAA headquarters:
    “Today, at the edge of our hope, at the end of our time, we have chosen not only to believe in ourselves, but in each other. Today there's not a man in here who shall stand alone. Today, we face the monsters that are at our door and bring the fight to them! Today, we are canceling the apocalypse!”
    -Marshal Stacker Pentecost, ‘Pacific Rim’
  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee
    Yeah, we are going to get a prison style train raping from the NCAA. If we do not fight it I will be officially done. 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,042
    I’m not a lawyer, so this could all be off.... My take is that because the FBI has been probing the college benefits issue, the NCAA “has” to prove they can police themselves.  If not, then their non-profit scheme goes down the drain.  It is all about the money, and to pay taxes on the $$$ they take in means big bucks.  

Also, if they’re not enforcing their amateurism rules, then they loose their shield and have to procedure workers comp for football, which they clearly don’t want to do (particularly with the back drop of the current opioid addiction issues).  That likely burns the collective member institutions way more than taxing.

All those parties want the current system continued, including N.C. State.  I would cop a meaningless plea, pin it all on Gott/Early, say that DSJ claims he never got paid (what admissible evidence do they have on him?), vacate some wins and give up a scholarship or two.  Shrugs..
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 947PFN Referee
    I don't know for some reason I think they are sharpening their knives for us because we exposed unx for the cheaters they are and what a vapid, empty, sham the ncaa is for all the world to see. 

The emperor has no clothes. 
    83: I am with you and the cynic in me says that is what is happening... It will be interesting to see if this actually come to Duke/UNC.
    Meet me at the ACC headquarters at Grandover in Greensboro picket style.  Signs, megaphone, old tuffy.  Maybe Swoffy will be in town and can read multiple signs telling him to get fucked.
    No seriously, something, someone should release something publicly.  Some athletic director make a public statement stating the fucking obvious.  Why, why, why, why, why, why has this not been done?????  Attention=heat on the NCAA, there's only one unc chapel hill, there are countless universities held to the letter of the law.  How Syracuse, Miami, State, GT, Kansas who ever has been punished by the NCAA hasn't got together with an informed cohesive statement abolishing the NCAA and the UNC scandal is beyond me.  Absolutely drive me nuking futs
    edited September 28
    I think N.C. State knew we were living in a glass house and that Yow badly mishandled men’s hoops.  
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 121
    I remember State going on what seems like a sham of a probation in 1973.  Have read up on what happened in 1960 when the point shaving scandal at State and UNC led to some very harsh penalties.  If we had those today, State could just as well go to having a club basketball team.  That reminds me, UNC has had the book thrown at them before.  But it has been almost 60 years.

I'm leaning toward SamIam's approach.  Maybe some very rich alumni could file the lawsuit against the NCAA while the rest of us not-so-rich alumni can be outside with the picket signs, etc.  </tongue-in-cheek off>
  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee
    ryebread said:
    I think N.C. State knew we were living in a glass house and that Yow badly mishandled men’s hoops.  

I don't understand the whole thing. Never will.
    But I do know Yow's legacy is one of good noon revenue sports and nothing accomplished otherwise.

• We were driving home late Saturday night and so I tuned into the ball state game.  I swear I heard a director’s cup rah rah clip and about laughed us into a ditch.

I also pass that unx sign at the state line and just cringe.  Nothing short of a Walking Tall clean up montage will ever suffice in my mind.