Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

FSU Game Thread - ACC Opener

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,777PFN Referee
edited September 22 in Wolfpack Sports
3-1 and batting .750, boys.  I missed the entirety of the Ball St. game but saw the final score and read several of the comments in the game thread.  I gathered we didn't improve much from WVU and were able to do some inconclusive (maybe?) QB experimenting.

We're on the road in our 1st ACC matchup of the season this Saturday and the early line has us as 5.5 point dogs.  Like Vegas I'm not anticipating a win here, however if we could manage to pull the upset and get to 4-1 and 1-0 in ACC with a road win it would certainly make me do a double take on the season, but the alternative would certainly be deflating.

Side note: Kudos to Drinkwitz and the Mountaineers.  That was awesome.

Comments

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,288
    I think this one will get ugly in a hurry. 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,042
    The FSU game will actually be intriguing.  Which team will have a worse second half? Both teams have only been competent in the first half of games.  FSU runs out of gas and we get put adjusted/QB’d every second half.
  • GasHouseGangstaGasHouseGangsta Posts: 223
    edited September 22
    FSU will out talent us. I'm not Taggart fan, but they have more than we do, and our coaching doesn't make up the difference. FSU will roll us. And you will hear an explanation about inexperience and not playing with the right techniques, yada yada. 
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,513
    Noles 38. Pack 13
    edited September 23
    I have thought since FSU made that hire that Taggart would eventually recruit them back to the top 15. I don’t think that FSU is there yet.  This is the same team that needed a missed PAT in overtime to beat La. Monroe at home.

i like 27-24 as the score.  It is unclear who comes out on top. ;-)
  • I think we get Horneybrooked...
  • YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 458
    PLASTERED!  Run over.  Flattened.  Kicked in the nuts.  This game will make 2013 look good.
  • Maybe it's because I was hanging around an FSU fan all of Saturday, but I am as underwhelmed with them as I am with us.  

My confidence level of what will happen Saturday is pretty low, other than I don't see either team having flawless execution.

Like Rye, I think it will be close.  Enough bright spots, plenty of WTFs, one team walks away feeling as though they're headed in the right direction, the other scratching their head and a fanbase looking hard something very different.

If I had money on this, I'd say we're on the short end (but cover the spread).

Btw, DD mentioned he planned on playing Hockman last Sunday (i.e., after watching film). Wonder what he thought yesterday.  Hmmm.
  • Any chance this season implodes and Boo hires Jeff Monken.  It seems like Army pushes ranked P5 opponents to the brink every time.
  • Autenrieth now out for the season. Look at it this way, we're getting both the bad QB year and the bad injury year (neither of which we've had for a few years) over with in one shot! :)
  • Maybe DD is a mad genius?!?!?! McKay is our starter all week long then at the last second on game day puts Hockman to start. FSU prepares to load the box and push up the DBs because they have no respect for McKay's long game then Hockman starts and picks apart the defense with actual accurate throws. FSU doesn't know what do to and by the time they adjust it's too late.... :p
    Blood: Dare to Dream.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 121
    Maybe Coach DD will send in Hockman as a starter to "get" McKay's attention, and then does so well he stays in.  Okay, as long as we are dreaming. . . .

Yet, we can't say that Hockman will do any better against a better opponent.  Our team needs experience and an attitude to improve each week.  Right now it seems that most of the team plays like freshmen. . .excuse me, first year players.  :-).

• 1984Met said:
    Okay, as long as we are dreaming. . . .

FSU hits hard at the start. We are down and McKay gets hurt and he is out for the game. Hockman comes in and the attitude of the whole team changes. We score at will. The defense makes stops. Hockman with the game winning drive against his former team that said he wasn't good enough with only seconds left!

It's happens enough to us with second/third string players. Why not us? Why not now?

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 947PFN Referee
    1984Met said:
    Right now it seems that most of the team plays like freshmen. . .

Hey now I resemble that statement.
  • YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 458
    Nope, plastered.
  • Autenrieth now out for the season. Look at it this way, we're getting both the bad QB year and the bad injury year (neither of which we've had for a few years) over with in one shot! :)
    That won't help our running game. 
  • If we had shown skill and power...maybe.  But, I don't see anything but a beatdown coming. 
  • We get trucked is MM plays the whole game. He is Michael Vick without the great speed or arm, just the slow decision making and locking in on receivers at the snap.

Best hope is MM get hits by an FSU DL starter who gets called for targeting, has to go thru concussion protocol and out for a the game, but is not hurt.  Hockman lights it up comes back from 3 scores down.  If Hockman plays the WV game we win going away.  Also wrecky Pearson in not the answer, BAM and Houston play, wrecky gets garbage snaps only.  Two short yardage situations last week and he could not get the yard he needed,

• Don’t worry, MM is going to treat this game like practice and throw the ball 90x.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 121
    1984Met said:
    Right now it seems that most of the team plays like freshmen. . .

Hey now I resemble that statement.

:)

Maybe I should change my handle to junior/seniorin83. . . okay, too long and that would be bandwagon jumping onto your train.  But, I do like your handle.

1983 was a great year to be at State.  Looking forward to the day when the students there can say the <current year> is a great year to be at State.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 947PFN Referee
    That was a wild scene. 
  • 1974 didn't suck either
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,288
    I see the line is now -6.5. 
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,777PFN Referee
    Yeah line ain't moving in our favor!

A matchup of two crappy ACC teams will fill my evening.  My pleasure today will hopefully come when Clemson beats the ever living shit out of the Tarcheats in front of their empty aluminum seats.. well actually it might be pretty full of crybabies today.. they only come out for the "big" games.