Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Mountaineers Pre-game & Game thread

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,650PFN Referee
edited September 7 in Wolfpack Sports
WVU caught that beat down today (from Mizzou 38 - 7) to get a 1-1 record through their first two games, however the Pack will be taking it on the road next Saturday when they meet the Mountaineers.  No line is out yet for this game, but my guess (disclaimer: with very little research) is that it'll be around a pick'em.

Our defense has looked pretty good through the first two games.  Rushing game and o-line have been good, although I don't think we've seen them really tested yet.  Question marks still remain under center.  Early indications from the first two games suggest we may not have much of passing attack beyond ~15 yards this season as McKay has struggled with overthrowing the long ball.

All things considered it looks like it sets up to be a winnable game and a win on the road next week to start the season 3-0 would be really nice.

Play us out, John...

EDIT: Anyone feeling froggy and wanting to create any of the subsequent game threads let me know!  Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 4in124in12 Posts: 137
    Going to my WVU grad son's apartment to watch this one. 
  • RickRick Posts: 1,394PFN Referee
    A friend of mine is a WVU fan. He asked me if he should watch the WVU game yesterday (he dvred it). I told him the ending was exciting and WVU scored at the end. 
    He was kind if mad at me this morning
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,413
    On another Holgerson related note, the line for the Cougar Bowl next Friday night opened with WSU favored by 7.5. After watching the Houston Coogs last night I’m considering a second mortgage on the house to lay the points. It’s easy money for all you gamblers
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 339
    State -7
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 255
    edited September 9
    I'll be beyond thrilled with a victory at West Virginia.  I also still detest UNC.  GTFH Carolina.  Looking forward to.....I know this has nothing to do with the WV game...but so looking forward to the wake/unx game this Friday night.  I think I'll take advantage of my proximity to WS and cheap tickets to hopefully watch Sack Brown taste reality. 
  • Wake should be a good test for Carolina.  Much better QB than prior opponents so curious how their D will hold up.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 948
    I never thought Holgerson was a good head coach.  He is a good OC.  He also had some off the field issues as well.  

I hope we beat WVa by 14+.  I figured that is what they'd have beaten us by had we played them last year.  

• GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 611
    I'm not interested in covering the spread or a meager 14 point win. I want to stomp the crap out of them. I want them to be grateful that they didn't play us last year. 

Rye - How can you think a team that was too chickenshit to play us last year would win by 14? IMO If WVU had thought they were going to win by 14, they would have jumped all over the chance to do so.

Not worth a new thread so I'm checking in with some of you who needed to wait to see what kind of OL and co-OC coaches we had, do we need to wait a few more games or until the end of season to make a judgement?

Our secondary played without injured, starting corner, McCloud, and free safety Jarious Morehead, who missed most of the game Saturday. Those secondary guys are getting better every quarter or so it seems to me. I'm obviously sold on Gibson. 

How do we like an offensive line that is averaging almost 6 yards per carry. Sure the RBs have a lot to say about that. But the RBs aren't having to push the DL back out of the way to gain 2 or 3 yards.

This is the OL so many of us were worried about. After all how could we be any good with having to replace an AA center and 2 other great, starting linemen. Not only are we replacing them but we are building diversity. Lot's of guys are playing 3, 4 and even 5 positions. McGirt is playing some RT -- a position he had never played before even in HS.

Keep an eye on true freshman, Icky Ekwonu. He logged more minutes than the starter in front of him. 6-4, 308 lbs., is a load. He's the dude with 5 pancake blocks in 19 snaps last week.
    grey: Did WVa duck us, or did State duck WVa?  Or did both sides decide that another option seemed in their mutual interest?  I don't know and suspect it depends largely on who you ask.

I personally think that WVa would have thrown all over us.  It'd have been ugly. 

That's last year though, and it never happened.  Like you I'd like to see State smoke WVa. this year. :)

On the other questions, I think we're in like thought on the early returns on the secondary and OL coaches.  I like what I see thus far with both.
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 287
    Grey, I like the coaching so far. But we need to see results against the big leagues, not Triple A teams. If McKay cannot connect on the long ball, we won't be able to just ground and pound against the Clemsons of the world (or maybe even the BCs, Pitts, etc.). He has to be able to keep them honest if they decide to stack 9-10 in the box.
    44 - Can we compare how our OL did against similar competition from last year. After we play some of the better teams, comparing those stats will be interesting. In the mean time...

In our first game of 2018 vs JMU we picked up first downs rushing, ran for 93 yards, averaged 2.9 yards per rush.

In our first game of 2019 vs ECU we picked up first downs rushing, ran for 191 yards, averaged 6.2 yards per rush. 

In our second game of 2018 vs GSU we picked up first downs rushing, ran for 115 yards, averaged 3.7 yards per rush.

In our second game of 2019 vs WCU we picked up 20 first downs rushing, ran for 309 yards, averaged 5.8 yards per rush.

Even my dumb ass can see remarkable results improvement over the 2018 OL. Our 2019 rushing average is approaching double 2018. In 2018 we averaged 104 yds for the first 2 games. In 2019 we averaged  250 yds the first 2 games. 

The only thing to change that I see is the OL coach. Sure there are other circumstances but non that can account for these huge differences. 
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 242
    edited September 9
    Mizzou's wipeout of WVU is on ESPNU right now...
    Grey: To be fair we now have Bam Knight and a healthier Person running the ball.  We're also giving them the ball more off tackle.  They're definitely more dynamic than Gallaspy and at this time last year we were still trying to run Gallaspy in the stretch play.  

I really like how the OL and rushing game have looked, and they've done it while losing an All American at center. I just want to be balanced that quite a bit has changed -- personnel, scheme, play calling as well as the OL coach.  I just mention this because more has changed that just the OL coach, though I do fully agree that early returns seem good.
  • ryebread said:
    grey: Did WVa duck us, or did State duck WVa?  Or did both sides decide that another option seemed in their mutual interest?  I don't know and suspect it depends largely on who you ask.

I personally think that WVa would have thrown all over us.  It'd have been ugly. 

That's last year though, and it never happened.  Like you I'd like to see State smoke WVa. this year. :)

On the other questions, I think we're in like thought on the early returns on the secondary and OL coaches.  I like what I see thus far with both.

Wish we had gotten WVU during bowl season. I think that would have been a more winnable without their starting QB than the Texas A&M game. I agree that a regular season game with WVU last year would have been an a$$ kicking with us being on the receiving end. 

This upcoming game should be ours for the taking. Funny how fortunes can change even in just one off-season. I would have guessed we'd have been the favorites in their house a year ago.

• To Grey's earlier point about Ekwonu, the true Freshman logged 50 snaps so he must be doing something right in the run game.  Also, noticed that Autenrieth played 54 snaps while Angeline played 24.  That seems to answer my TE run-blocking question from pre-season.

Overall, the youth on Offense got to see quite a bit more action this week against WCU as 24% of the total offense snaps were by (Redshirt) Freshman as compared to 16% the week prior.  Makes sense, but still good to see.
    To be for real, Rye, it's the O-line that's opening the holes that the backs are running through regardless of the backs, plays, play-calls or blocking schemes. If the 2019 line wasn't opening holes, we would be all over John Garrison.
    "Also, noticed that Autenrieth played 54 snaps while Angeline played 24." Gso, Parham was in for 32 snaps. In the Wolfpack offense the TE is going to have to block as well as catch. 
    Grey: Agreed.  The players are the ones getting it done. So far so good against admittedly inferior opposition.
    Rye, the really neat thing about these 2 coaches is the both are known to be great recruiters. 

FYI
    Grant Gibson was 2nd Team Center on the National PFF College team of the Week.
    Chubb and Bradbury are the only other State players I've seen on that team. Maybe Prescod. Doesn't mean a thing... but let's me relax about our center. 

Icky Ekwonu had 4 pancake blocks to go with the 5 he had last week. Fellow true freshman Dylan McMahon (back-up center) also had 4 pancake blocks. Gibson had 2 PC blocks which is 6 between the 2 centers. Our total line had 15 PC blocks to go with the 20 last week. 

I realize we aren't playing Clemson or any of the big boys but these numbers are impressive. 

I wouldn't be surprise to see Witt lose his starting right tackle position. 
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 287
    And don't forget, Gallaspy was playing through injury early last year. He looked better as the season went on ... But yes, we have much more dynamic RBs hitting those holes this year. And there are holes to hit.
    edited September 10
    44rules said:
    And don't forget, Gallaspy was playing through injury early last year. He looked better as the season went on ... But yes, we have much more dynamic RBs hitting those holes this year. And there are holes to hit.
    Not only was Gallaspy playing through injury but he was also recovering from surgery. Doeren is effusive in his praise of Gallaspy for this kind of playing for the team. No laying out with injury every other week for Reggie.

Could be just a story but the OL said let's get this one for Reggie before his long run that put him over 1000 yards for the season. That was great but what I appreciate Reggie for is his putting the team on his back in the 4th quarter and OT to beat the holes.
    From my post above: "Icky Ekwonu had 4 pancake blocks to go with the 5 he had last week. Fellow true freshman Dylan McMahon (back-up center playing guard) also had 4 pancake blocks. Gibson had 2 PC blocks which is 6 between the 2 centers." 
  • This game will be like Rambo Last Blood.  Tough, mountainous terrain but the visitor wins.  They draw first blood because we start slow.  DD wears a tarp with a rope belt to inspire the troops.  It’s gets ugly late as the killing escalates.  You tell yourself you won’t watch it but you know you will.  The movie that is.

The 3 I’d take back if I could.  Jimi, Elvis and John because the world could use them.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 97
    edited September 10
    If you are going, here is a link to the WV University football stadium weather forecast:

It should update as the NWS office updates their forecast.