Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Tidbits from Doeren's radio show

GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 654
edited August 29 in Wolfpack Sports
Defense
Smith-Williams said the defense has been focusing on stopping the passing game. He feels like everyone is clicking and added the DBs are playing “lights out.” He sees better depth on the defense across the board.

Quarterback report
Doeren feels like they have some good quarterbacks and it was fun to watch them all play. Added that redshirt sophomore Bailey Hockman and redshirt freshman Devin Leary are awesome to be around. McKay’s decision-making, completion rate and experience won him the job.

There are three areas that position coach Kurt Roper uses to grade the quarterbacks: mastery of offense, situational football IQ and reading defenses. Hockman is getting better in all those areas and closing ground and Leary is stuck in one area but working his butt off to get there.

Comments

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,285PFN Referee
    My personal translation: They're not sold on McKay, but going with him now.  Hockman may pass him.
  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 654
    ^That. 
    Plus IMO when all the "separators" even out, and they will, Leary has the superior talent. There's not that much difference in talent and whether it's Hockman or Leary starting, there will be little or no fall off if either has to come out for any reason. IMNSHO We have an embarrassment of riches at the QB position.

We have been "graded down" due to our QB position, the history of our secondary and the relative inexperience on offense (in addition to QB.)

IMO  when ACC competition starts, poor secondary play will be history and the QB will have sufficient experience. The remainder of the offense may take a little longer to come around and the OL will have to avert further injury but the talent is there.

The year we won the natty Valvano played to keep us in position to win. I firmly believe our defense -- with the "new and improved" secondary -- can keep us in position to win. Can we close the deal is the question?
  • I eagerly await watching a much improved secondary.  Hopefully feeling a bit better about those 3rd and long conversions we've seemingly given up so many times too.

Grey I tend to agree with your embarrassment of riches comment, although when it's crossed my mind, I simultaneously realize I have yet to see any substantial action from any of them.  Fingers crossed.  
    I wonder what we are going to do with all those guys?  Traditionally we play one QB but when we've had a Rivers, Wilson or Brissett we did not have had another equally or almost as good other QBs. When Hockman committed, I thought we might have a problem. 

• RickRick Posts: 1,629PFN Referee
    I hope you are right about the QB but I am struggling to believe we have 3 qbs that are so good we cannot pick the best one. 

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,095PFN Referee
    edited August 30
    Maybe McKay was always a bit better and the coach used the competition aspect to motivate the others in their development and McKay. Seeing the others potential and always willing to let them play if they caught up to McKay and passed him. I think most coaches like competition for spots on their team.
    Gso - "Substantial action" is the evaluation procedure used with Jay Davis and Marcus Stone and in the years prior. Today football coaching employs modern tools such as analytics, test metrics, training science, and tools I'm not familiar with. Practices are filmed/videoed and these are broken down by video experts and given to the coaches for evaluation.

NC State has 3 areas  used to grade the QBs (or so they say): mastery of offense, situational football IQ and reading defenses - in addition to test metrics.       
    So far Doeren and Roper, the QB coach, have done exactly what they said they were going to do which is let the QBs compete and if one shows up ahead of the others before the first game, announce it. 

As we all know competition is good for a number of reasons. It is not only good but in the day of social media and the interweb, it is important for recruits to know they will be given a fair chance to start.  

It's not a matter of "3 qbs that are so good we cannot pick the best one" it's a matter of the QBs "self-selecting" by test metrics with all concerned knowing the selection process was as fair as possible. I don't see how we can go wrong doing it this way.

This self-selection process needs to be through-out the team. Some are clearly ahead of others but there are some surprises. Alim McNeil was the anticipated nose tackle starter but Val Martin has come on strong and Val is currently ahead of Alim for starting. Not a problem there as both will play about equally with the DL rotation we use. Not so with the QB position.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,839PFN Referee
    Rick - I think I am with you, but from a slightly different angle.  We went with the "safe" option as starter, because the "upside" choices didn't show what they needed to.

And I am avidly of the opinion that NC State will almost always need near-elite QB play to succeed.
  • Rick - I think I am with you, but from a slightly different angle.  We went with the "safe" option as starter, because the "upside" choices didn't show what they needed to.

And I am avidly of the opinion that NC State will almost always need near-elite QB play to succeed.
     I think that you don't have to be a great passer to be a great qb in college (think Tebow, Crouch and others). Decision making is more important. Also McKay is younger than Leary. I think it's too soon to know whether or not McKay has what it takes to be great.
    I agree that to score consistently, you need either  qban elite unless or an elite OL. This game will give us some insight as to whether we have either.
    yep, elite OL papers over things enough that "pretty good" QB play can work.
  • I hope the improved secondary can contain Clemson somewhat.
    I hope the improved secondary can contain Clemson somewhat.
    We've got of September and October plus Nov. 2, to get ready for Clemson on Nov. 9. 
    I don't think there is any getting ready for Son de Clem this year.  We are at least a little worse, they are leaps and bounds better (yes, despite being defending national champs).
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,285PFN Referee
    BJD: I don't think they're better.  Their defense doesn't look as good to me.  TAMU might surprise them this weekend, though I'd love to see Clemson lay the lumber to them like they did to Alabama.
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 347
    Hey Grey, maybe we'll be "broken in" by the Clem's Son game! :)
  • About all one can hope for with Clempson is that Young Hansen is listening to all the “best ever” chatter and letting it go to his head. Sadly for us, that’s not likely - yabo-dabo-doo won’t let it happen.
    44rules said:
    Hey Grey, maybe we'll be "broken in" by the Clem's Son game! :)
    Will we be "broken in" by the Clemson game OR will we be "broken" in the Clemson game? ;)

"Broken in" or not, I hope we aren't "broken" to the point we lose a lot of starters.