Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Pirates Pre-gaming Thread

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,650PFN Referee
edited August 26 in Wolfpack Sports
With season 5 days away I figured I'd get something up to discuss the Pack's kickoff game for the 2019 season.

We are 16.5 point favorites.  Seems a little steep to me with us "breaking in" (Greywolf gone get me!) a new QB and all the other unknowns.. however I don't know a thing about ECU's team this season so I can't meaninfully comment on it I suppose.  Glad to see Vegas thinks we should easily be 1-0, but I'm always wary with ECU using this game as their Superbowl AND revenge game AND it being the 1st game of the season.

(Cowdog, let me know when you can if you're still up for making the game threads)

Comments

• BasspackerBasspacker Posts: 140

EZU suspended two of their players yesterday for breaking into cars at apartments. Not sure if they are impact players but both was on the defensive side of the ball.  Guess they got bored in the weight room.

I hope we crush the Pie Rats again by doubling up on the spread.  Leave no doubt who the better program is even it those Easterners think they are the best football program in the State.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 948
    If I were a gambling man, I would take the ECU and the points.  They've got a good coach and will be highly motivated.

We have a lot of change, are breaking in a new QB (and OL) and never seem to start game one strong under DD.  It will be human nature that the ease of last year's whipping will be fresh in our minds and we're not going to take this game as seriously as ECU.

I think an ECU game late in the year is more favorable for NC State.  I think one as the lead off game is more favorable for ECU.

I still think State wins, but more like 7-10.
    From another site:

Behind McKay is Hockman, followed by Leary. Despite heading into camp as the likely No. 3 quarterback in the rotation, Hockman proved his grasp of the playbook and flashed during camp and scrimmages this fall. All three could ultimately end up playing this fall despite the fact that McKay won the job, but McKay will most definitely take the first snap and have the first opportunity to lead the Pack.

Things to watch:
    1) How long a leash that McKay has.  Other sites have been suggesting it's been McKay for some time now.  Will he perform in a game like he has in practice?  If he's struggling in a game, does he get pulled?  Is he still the starter at week 5?
    2) Whether Leary gets some snaps to keep him fed.
    3) How much running we do out of the QB.  This seems to signal a shift to more of a read option type offense.
    4) The transfer portal over the next 4 weeks.  I tend to think that either McKay or Leary transfers......  I hope I am wrong though.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,650PFN Referee
    Yeah McKay named starter for ECU.  Rye, interesting to see Hockman leap Leary on the depth chart.  That does have transfer written all over it for Leary.
  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 611
    edited August 26
    Tyrone Riley injured, out for the season. There goes the depth at OT.

Derrick Eason moved from DT to OT apparently after Riley was injured. This does not speak well for our OT situation. 

Another aggressive DT with quick feet moving. We  have had a bit of luck moving DTs to the OL. This could be to Eason's benefit in the long run.

Maybe we should/could recruit DTs and move the ones we want at OT.  ;)
  • A couple of comments on the depth chart.
    - Cary Angeline is behind Autenrieth.  Wonder if that is for his blocking or something else.
    - Also, a true Frosh at Long-Snapper, but he was highly regarded.  Could be interesting when things get loud.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,331PFN Referee
    I don't like the sound of any of that.  Eeeeep.
    If we’re going to ignore the tight end in the passing game as much as we have the last 3-4 years, then I’d go with the better blocker.  And yes I get that JSam was listed as a TE one season but that was in name only.

TAT: Ever since we brought in Hockman, I figured either McKay or Leary would transfer.  It wouldn’t make sense for Hockman to transfer again, and he wouldn’t have left FSU if he didn’t want to play, nor have transferred here is he didn’t think he could play here.  That means the existing QBs hadn’t generated a clear leader, which kind of suggested that Leary hadn’t developed.  

But hey, I’m hoping for a scenario where McKay has really stepped up and is ready to shine, where Leary sees the challenge in front of him and wants to double down on his efforts, and Hockman is a smooth lefty that throws a catchable ball and really manages a game well.  That’s the best thing for NC State.
  • realpackfanrealpackfan Posts: 128
    Many a slip between the cup and the lip.
  • TheCowdogTheCowdog Posts: 144PFN Referee
    You got it AT. One look at the depth chart tells me I need some more legal medicine.

Love you guys
    The two deep is loaded with younger players. I suspect it was due to a couple of weak classes a few years back.  This season has transition written all over it.  

I’d guess 6-6 if not for the schedule.  I think we’ve scheduled ourselves to 8 wins.
  • wolfanaticwolfanatic Posts: 309
    This is not a game that DD needs to lose....
  • Rye, you are correct that we have underutilized the TE in the passing game and although Drink is gone, I don't expect it to change.

Also, I am ok with having another blocker.  I am just wondering if we HAD to have another blocker given our current OL.

We'll get a glimpse come Saturday 
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,413
    Angeline = Trevor Ferguson. The transfer savior that never was. 
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 295PFN Referee
    edited August 27
    I guess this is as good a place as any....

PI has summarized what's known about our OOC schedule for the next two decades or so.   This was also the first place that I saw that we play home/home with Cincy in 2023/'29.

Just for BJD, I saw more games against ECU in 2022, '25, and '28...with two of those games in G'ville.

Va - I am hoping that the new guy has some bollocks when it comes to telling EZU to pound sand.

But I sure ain't holding my breath.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 255
    If Dave and the boys lose to ECU Saturday......engage operation destruct all.
    specialty guys like long snappers usually start when they are freshman. I've never know crowd noise to be a factor for a long snapper. For what's worth our OL coach was the long snapper for Nebraska his freshman year and another defensive lineman who moved to the other side of the ball.  

Garrison is quoted as saying he wanted the TEs to be capable in all phases of the game. There's no telling without being in the coaches meetings but the problems we are having with the OL may be dictating Autenrieth start because of his blocking. 
    I don't think we are going to lose on Saturday because that's just too big of a hill for ECU to climb in that period of time.  It will be closer than most NC State fans would like.

Now if we were to somehow lose on Saturday, then "whoa boy....." Things could get really ugly.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,650PFN Referee
    TheCowdog said:
    You got it AT. One look at the depth chart tells me I need some more legal medicine.

Love you guys
    Appreciate it, man!
  • GasHouseGangstaGasHouseGangsta Posts: 213
    edited August 27
    Leary or his folks have supposedly publicly given a vote of confidence to DD and say he’s there to stay. Gotta figure Hockman isn’t transferring again. Still, it’s a bit jumbled classwise at that position. The new redshirt rule, which has some benefits, also seems like it could create some spacing problems if you’re not careful.

From what I’ve heard, Leary still behind with the finesse throws. Hockman started behind and has gained ground. I just hope we use the run from the QB position a bit more.
  • realpackfanrealpackfan Posts: 128
    If your name isn't RW ,then the only time you run is when you have to. 
    edited August 28
    Take what the defense gives you. If they give the QB the first down, take it. If they give us the deep ball, take it, the TE down the middle, the slants, sweeps, etc. 

I remember vs the 'holes' when Brissett was abusing them, we lined up once with an 8 or 9 man OL and Shad picked up about 50 yards. The 'holes' were doing Curry math and didn't get enough people on the loaded side of the center. Our guys were knocking each other around trying to get to somebody to block. 

Just read an article in SI about Matt Canada. Remember all the pre-snap shifts that Matt liked to use. We had some procedure penalties but after that got straightened out, that shifting caused the defense some real problems. We the fans may not have liked them but the defenses we faced liked them even less.

One confusion and missed assignment and somebody was wide open. Des was the RB coach during Canada's time here. Some of that shifting and Canada Wolfpack offense might be useful with a young O-line and young, fast RBs.

Too bad I ain't on that committee.  ;)

Only 4 days to go and we can have some actual football to talk about. 

Speaking of, good luck to Jacoby with the Humps.  No pressure or anything, buddy!

/but seriously, he has the cool leadership that suits him perfectly to this moment