Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Old Tuffy Lager

Pack78Pack78 Posts: 235
edited August 7 in Wolfpack Sports

Think that this will be my goto brew for the FB season-New Belgium has a link to find it, but I don't see anything near Charlotte where I am as yet:

https://www.newbelgium.com/beer/old-tuffy/

Comments

• 44rules44rules Posts: 275

Wish it wasn't a lager. Maybe if we can start getting night games, they'll give us at least a pale ale for round 2 ...

• RadmanRadman Posts: 19

Had an Old Tuffy tonight. Not bad for a lager but I’ll stick with my IPAs.

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 45

first chance: it tasted OLD and TOUGH.

they did not lie.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 227

as I posted on the other thread....don't live and die by the locator on the New Belgium web site. It can be found at other locations...just have to do a little hunting.

Turkey I hope it isn't as bad as you made it sound. Got a little excited when I finally found it and bought 30 total.

Hell, I'm sure I've drank worse.

Sam's official review...

Def. a light beer, it's not bad however. I've had better, I've had worse but the fact I'm holding an ice cold can of beer with Tuffy strutting on it is not a bad situation at all.

• spent way too much time in Germany.

• BasspackerBasspacker Posts: 135
    The can logo is great, the beer....as someone said, not bad but I'll stick with my usual.  It has an after taste reminds me of a Budweiser.  I probably won't buy it again, the cans make for a great collector item but $32 bucks for a 15 pack is out of my price range for brewski.
    The can logo is great, the beer....as someone said, not bad but I'll stick with my usual.  It has an after taste reminds me of a Budweiser.  I probably won't buy it again, the cans make for a great collector item but $32 bucks for a 15 pack is out of my price range for brewski.
    After my excitement subsided and the hangover began to set in I realized much of the same.  Says alot when a bud light the Sunday afternoon after tastes like heaven after hammering down old tuffy.  I'm starting to agree with the Old and Tuff description
    32 bucks isn't bad for 15 high quality beers. 32 bucks for lager? No. If I find a 6 pack I'll buy it, but I'm just too snooty and pretentious about my beer to regularly drink lager.
  • A well made lager is a lot harder (and more resource consuming) to brew than an IPA.  That's a major reason a lot of small breweries don't make much and the major breweries such mediocre ingredients. 

While I love a good Ale (classic.pale ale or IPA)
    Big Dan and Leveneleven brewery make some very good quality lagers ( ales too) if you're ever in the neighborhood of the Gso Coliseum.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,311
    44rules said:
    32 bucks isn't bad for 15 high quality beers. 32 bucks for lager? No. If I find a 6 pack I'll buy it, but I'm just too snooty and pretentious about my beer to regularly drink lager.
    Does this mean you drink with your pinky extended?
    Tex, only if people are looking! GSO, you are totally correct. If I'm ever there, I will. In this weather I will drink a couple of lagers. Usually German or Czech imports. But if I wanna play hipster, I chill a PBR down to where it has some ice crystals.

Pretty sure Old Tuffy only comes in 15 pack and tall boys, no 6 pack, least all I've seen except BJ's Brewhouse in Cary has Old Tuffy on tap at around $5.85 a pint. I tried one there, its still was just ok.  Not a meal beer for sure. BJ's has some really good house beers like their Hazy IPA. We usually hit Carolina Ale House beside it but decided try BJ's as its always packed. Overall, the beer is cheaper at Ale House, well...they seem to have specials were BJ does not.  But BJ seemed to have more seasonal and micro brews.

Pretty sure Old Tuffy only comes in 15 pack and tall boys, no 6 pack, least all I've seen except BJ's Brewhouse in Cary has Old Tuffy on tap at around $5.85 a pint. I tried one there, its still was just ok.  Not a meal beer for sure. BJ's has some really good house beers like their Hazy IPA. We usually hit Carolina Ale House beside it but decided try BJ's as its always packed. Overall, the beer is cheaper at Ale House, well...they seem to have specials were BJ does not.  But BJ seemed to have more seasonal and micro brews.
    Nope, comes in 6 packs as well.  Will run ya around 10.95 for six.  I bought 2 12's and a 6 pack in High Point.
    Any of you can come get one of these 12 packs if you want it.
  • SamIam said:
    Any of you can come get one of these 12 packs if you want it.
    Ouch! Quite the ringing endorsement , huh?👍

Thanks for the clarification on available size counts for sale. Its not that bad SamIam !!!  I've drank much worse ! 

If you think about it, the beer really is similar to NC State football.  Alot of hype and anticipation before the opening, pretty smooth in the beginning but leaves a bitter after taste in the end.

• Basspacker, great analogy. Lol
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,311
    My kid would like to try Old Tuffy. I probably would too. Any way to get this stuff to Houston or Columbus?

Thanks for the clarification on available size counts for sale. Its not that bad SamIam !!!  I've drank much worse ! 

If you think about it, the beer really is similar to NC State football.  Alot of hype and anticipation before the opening, pretty smooth in the beginning but leaves a bitter after taste in the end.

That was almost verbatim to the text I sent a family member summing up the beer.  They managed to put the taste of NC State football in a can.  

Lord, how raunchy is the Carter going to get now that the much needed 2 quarters break from binge drinking is no more???  Another reason thankful for the wife, I know my limits but every now and again I think I'm in my 20's again.