Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Knee Surgery

HighstickHighstick Posts: 288PFN Referee

I've had issues with one knee for years, but it's a "sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it doesn't". I've noticed over the past couple of years that it was impacting my golf game to the point of "if I can't play better than this, I need a new pastime". About a month ago, it got really cranky to the point that sometimes I could not get around without a crutch, swelling, and pain. Most of the time, not excruciating, but like a toothache.

Well, got to any ortho this morning(a Dookie, not a Hole) and he showed me the Xrays. Obvious difference between left and right because the right was bone on bone. So sometime in the fall, I'll "get'r done" and recuperate watching a lot of football~~

Comments

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 767PFN Referee

I hope it goes really well for you stick and the recovery is quick as possible.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,311

Knee replacement? I had meniscus surgery in 2012. Did it the Wednesday before the start of March Madness. Best recuperation day ever. Get access to a pool for some water walking. You can strengthen the legs back without as much impact. Good luck.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,480
    edited August 6

High,

Have the same issues with a shoulder. Bone rubbing on bone and a small spur that adds some discomfort at times. Orthopedic doc says when I lose mobility and/or strength, he will fix it.

As to your knee, I have had several friends and relatives have a knee replacement. I assume, but maybe in error, that is what you are talking about....since orthoscopic surgery can only fix things that are fixable, but not replace the lining or the articular cartilage if it is damaged or just worn out or ain’t there.

i can also offer a bit of advice from a personal standpoint. When I fractured my femur (jagged break above the joint as well as numerous stress cracks in the same area and also further up the bone), I basically did a good “number” on the actual bone. Even worse, I cracked the end or the ball of the Femur....which is the joint. Make a tight fist. That is similar to the end of the Femur. Now, keeping the knuckles tight and bent, spread your fingers. BINGO....that was what my Femur looked like. The Tramua surgeon said it was an 8 on his scale of 1-10. He had to cut on each side to the bone and put a C-clamp on it and then drive in a titanium lag screw. Then he put on a long plate and shot 4 more screws through the plate into the ball or end....then I got 5 more screws in the plate spaced out over maybe a 10 - 12” distance.

POINT of this comment....I am 10 months into my accident and do my own PT. I average about 1.25 hours daily between the gym and home strengthening and walking and stretching. Will probably do that about 6-8 months more.

BUT....I walk without a noticeable limp and each week have less and less discomfort. Part of not 2.5 hour gym routine in also upper body conditioning. In the best shape that I have been in 8 years.

Knee surgery is serious. Folks that will not follow the PT regime or that are macho and push the schedule and such always have issues. If you have room, a recumbent stationary or regular bike is critical. Also, at least for a while is a treadmill. Rent or find one with full rails on the sides all the way back or close to the back roller. I walk sideways and backwards most of the time for strengthening and conditioning and to restore balance.

The GOOD NEWS.....you will only be off your “feet” for a short period of time. Muscle atrophy does not set in or is an issue. I was on non weight bearing (knee bent) status for 8 weeks and then another 6 weeks of partial. That took its toll.

i would also recommend that you do whatever is necessary to get the knee in as good a shape as you can now. Orthopedic doc might recommend PT and steroids to reduce inflammation. THEN....HAVE IT FIXED. Sitting around or being on limited mobility or little exercise or daily routine weakens your quads, IT band, hamstrings and calves. Then you are behind the curve for PT and recovery. I was fortunate. I had been on a daily routine of walking and exercise and strengthening and stretching for almost 2 months prior to the accident. So, I recovered quicker.

Out of the 10 or so folks that had a joint replaced, and a few had both done at the same time, the ones that had put it off and went in to surgery in a “heavy” state or in bad shape had the most trouble. Go (if you need to) on a strict diet and stay on it to reduce the stress on your muscles throughout your recovery.

Finally, I had a friend that pushed his recovery. He also got a bad (think life threatening) case of Poison Ivy. His legs “oozed” so much that he got a massive infection. He did not see a doctor and get Prednisone to stop the spread. His knee joint was massively infected. They took out the joint and implanted an antibiotic “pack” for almost a month and THEN put back in a new joint. That is highly unlikely for most of us....except those that get ugly cases of Poison Ivy....like I do. Infection is the most common failure....so the healthier you are or can be, overall, the better.

You will become a “onesie”. As you decline in years, you might achieve the SIX PACKER status. Two knees, Two hips & Two shoulders. Going to a cardio rehab or Silver Sneaker gym and listening to the “locker room” talk is much different from HS or college FB or such locker room banter....

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 235
    edited August 6

Our small group at church consists of those of us in our 60's with the exception of one couple in their 20's...we laugh that as a group we need to restrict the discussions of joint ailments/replacements for the youngsters' sensibilities!

• RickRick Posts: 1,330PFN Referee

I had my meniscus done 6 or so years ago. I struggled a bit but then lost 40 lbs. I can play basketball once a week. I might regret it later but I am loving it now.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 657

highstick- Good luck man! My Dad had a hip replaced and my Mom both of them. They both walk better than before. A dude @ Y had his knee replaced and can still average 260 watts on a stationary bike.

Hopefully, you can go back to getting around the course and spoiling those good walks!

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 235

I had my meniscus done 6 or so years ago.

Rick-I began to have knee pain about 4 months ago-described it to my internist and he speculated (no imaging taken) that the symptoms sounded like a small meniscus tear. I have been careful since then and now am close to 100%-what is involved with the operation if it flares up again?

I didn't have a tear but my knee cap was tracking wrong and it wore a hole in the meniscus.

For me, they cut one of the tendons holding the knee cap so it tracked properly and then drilled holes in the back of the knee cap so it would bleed. I was told this would help with the meniscus (I do not know if it grows back but I could swear that is what they told me). It is not 100% but it does not hurt. I closely followed the rehab.

BTW one bit of advice I would give anyone is a foam roller.

I had a free hour with a personal trainer and he told me the foam roller was a "game changer". I was extremely skeptical but I tried it. It took about a month but it really was a game changer. I had to quit basketball but was able to start playing again after I started rolling.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,480

Ditto that. Docs are now recommending foam rollers for lower back pain. Find yourself a nice scantily clad partner....makes it even better.

Regular rolling is also part of my knee therapy. Roll the IT Band (muscles along the outside of the thigh), quads and hamstring. That stretches them and gives them the elasticity they need or helps restore it. In addition the rolling increases blood flow which allows for more O2 and also allows the body’s immune system to work faster on the inflammation.

IF you are prescribed Ibuprofen, then the increased blood flow gets the anti-inflammatory moving faster and in higher concentrations.

max of 5 minutes on a spot. Anything past that is not necessary and if you are macho, you can bruise surrounding tissue.

• HighstickHighstick Posts: 288PFN Referee

Oddly enough, I have worked my ass off this summer outside(laying sod, cutting Leylands with a chain saw, helping build a couple of houses at Habitat, mowing grass...I didn't realize it was as bad as it was until "it came from out of nowhere one afternoon". Couldn't walk at all for several hours without a crutch. Anyway, that incident triggered me to finally go to the Doc with the knee. First Xrays showed arthritis in knee, but I never saw them. Was referred to any Ortho and the Xrays were obvious. But, my leg muscles should be very strong going into this. Plus I've started using a rolling pin on the leg muscles because I know my hams get extremely tight. I may start swimming because I can do it with my grandkids and kill 3 birds with one stone. I should get some walking time in over the next month...a week to the mountains, then followed by 2 weeks to Communist Kalifornia. I can definitely do some walking on the beaches in Monterey and Carmel.

Already taking 500 mg of Naproxen twice a day because of arthritis and peripheral neuropathy. It's less toxic on my gut that Ibuprofen.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 265PFN Referee

It's less toxic on my gut that Ibuprofen.

Good luck on your surgery and recovery. My wife is going to get one knee fixed as well.

After a number of gut issues, my doctor finally forced me to get the old-man colonoscopy. The diagnosis was called micro colitis which they wouldn't have found except for the extra test because I was having issues. The treatment consists of taking only Tylenol and come back in five years for another probing. The doctors never blamed Ibuprofin, but I used to swallow that stuff like candy for every ache/pain.

• GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 507

VA - Some years ago I had an endoscopy -- similar to a colonoscopy except from the top end and you are awake.

When I started to complain about the pain, the nurse told me, "You guys are all alike. You can dish it out but you can't take it." I shut right up. 😁

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,154PFN Referee

Before my scope, I did absolutely fine playing tennis. Sitting on the couch watching my beloved #BFIB? Felt like I had an angry wasp stuck up in that fucker.

Mostly ok now, but I did some hiking around Boulder, CO this past 4 days, and it's a-barkin' again.