Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Where have all the Posters gone? Long time passing

To paraphrase Johnny Rivers (technically Pete Seeger),

Where have all the posters gone, long time passing...

Gone to other boards, everyone......

When will they ever learn?

(Repeat).

SERIOUSLY....

Just wondering if the “system” is working as I don’t show any activity in almost 3 days....

Comments

• 44rules44rules Posts: 275

I'm here. Lurk every day I work. Usually skip the weekends ...

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 274

Waiting on my Summer Doldrums thread.

i guess we haven’t had stagnation this summer until this past weekend

• HighstickHighstick Posts: 288PFN Referee

Been working on too many little projects and have gone to bed early. Retirement will wear you out!

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,565PFN Referee

Summer doldrums will be wrapping up before you know. Only 1 more month! I'll tell ya one thing I'm sure if we suck they'll be more posts than you can care to read lmao. Folks'll be wearing out their keyboards.

• oldwolfoldwolf Posts: 97

The other boards relatively quiet as well, not much going on this time of year.

ready for some football!

• RickRick Posts: 1,330PFN Referee

Everyone is waiting on disappointment er...I mean football season.

That was my grey call. He will be along any minute to boost my morale.

• GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 507
    edited July 29

😁

Just turned 82. I'm more worried about making it through the entire game in the heat than I am the Pack right now.

I just read an article on how much about 50 teams spend on recruiting and how successful they are based on the money spent. It was not encouraging. We spent a little more than half of what EweNC spent and 2 million less the number 1 spender, UGA.

Rick, Nothing would boost my morale like finishing 11-1 and 7-1 in the conference. 😉

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,311

Without the gardening thread this place would be a tomb this time of year. I've had too many big projects to work on at the behest of my slightly indecisive superiors across the pond.

Ready > Fire > Aim

It's how we roll around here

I think that would boost everyone's morale.

And good luck in the heat. I read they are crowdsourcing a wearable air conditioner. It might be time to invest in that ;-)

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,480

Gee, Grey....I feel....SUDDENLY....YOUNGER and more VIBRANT....

BUT, I do empathize with you. Since breaking my leg last October and the lack of activity (even though I did all the required PT) and an still working out 2X week for 2.5 hours and also have a daily routine of stretches and walking and exercising....I STILL DON"T HAVE MY OLD STAMINA BACK.

I accuse my wife of misplacing it whilst I was in the Hospital....and she can't remember feces...

I will have to walk about 3/8 mile from the PL to my seats....then climb the steps on the second level to row Y. THAT should be good to get the old ticker pumping (Pacemaker assisted of course). If it gets REALLY hot, I'll take a PASS OUT....rather than PASSING OUT.

I also agree with your logic of personal health and well being NUMBER 1 over what the youngsters, who should be in better condition and also have "monitors" and such). The onfield activity is less of a priority than MY health (or the health of family members much younger than I, but in worse physical condition).

We need to get a P5 #1 ranking so we get late afternoon or evening games....

Great POST....

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 858

grey: I suspect it's even worse than the article suggests. I'd bet for every above board dollar spent that is tracked, there are $1-$3 spent under the table.

I think recruiting is spending, regardless of college sport. I also think spending is a proxy for winning, regardless of sport in general. While there's no guarantee that the team that spends the most wins the most, there's a pretty high correlation with spending and winning, and not spending and losing. I think it's doubly true in sports where talent needs to be "stock piled" (like college football).

This spending issue is the main reason why I think NC State's football program will always have some sort of built in ceiling (i.e. below national title contender level). The absolute best case scenario for NC State football is what VT did with Beamer, where year in and year out they did more with less. They had a great coach, good continuity, a bit of luck, targeted recruiting, and focused on some key differentiators. Here's to hoping we do the same.

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 767PFN Referee

Been away the last two weeks in N'awlins attending a couple of seminars for academic reasons. Very little free time for anything.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 274

Our front hall looks like we are preparing for an invasion. College move in supplies. Reality is setting in, for all of us. I hope mine come back like Highstick. Lucky son of a gun.

edited July 29

RIGHT....

I once attended a 6 day (started on Sunday night and concluded at noon on Saturday) seminar....we had to do 4 of them over a year's period to get our "Certifications".

We got Friday (or maybe it was Wednesday nights OFF).....and we then would discuss our newly learned skills over adult beverages at a local establishment that had young female entertainers sans clothes gyrating to music. That was in Knoxville, TN.

I HATE to think of the mischief we would have gotten into if we have been in Nu' Awlins'....

RIGHT....ACADEMIANS COME FIRST....or was that what the young ladies said later in the evening in intimate and private settings...?

• GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 507

Rye, I have no idea how money spent on facilities gets factored in. Clemson building a second IPF, Dorm with 2-person rooms. Locker rooms that are new/rebuilt.

We are renovating training facilities -- more/better hot tubs, cold tubs and a rumored swimming pool.

There are lots of ways to spend money that is legal that don't show up. And the new cost of living additions to scholarships -- that's a license to steal. A legal way to pay players. The gap keeps getting wider and wider.

edited July 30

My experience was a bit different. lecture most of day with assigned research topics each night minimum of 8 sources (quality sources, primary sources being emphasized ) with three pages (single spaced ) of cited, organized notes on the assigned topic due before class with a proper bibliography page.

This was all to prepare for an "interesting" 30 minute lecture which we presented to the professor and class each day showing appropriate level comprehension and presentation skills. No nights off for us I sadly report.

New Orleans famed night life is a mystery to me as I sincerely reported to my wife. : )

grey: I agree. The gap only widens. There are legitimately only 10-12 teams that really have a shot at winning the title before the year starts. Clemson has pushed/spent their way into that group. ND (if one counts them as a member) and FSU are in that group as well from the ACC. I don't see it happening for NC State.

In basketball there's more parity, but it's just as dirty. I don't believe there are more people with their hands out in basketball, or that a higher percentage of players are paid. I think it is just more widely known.

For these reasons, I was okay with Yow's approach of pivoting to the non-revenue sports. It seems like we can compete in those areas. For those who only care about NC State's performance in the two revenue sports, it might be wise to set appropriate expectations.

edited July 30

Not really. We were in class from 8-12 & 1-5 & 7-9. Had homework that typically took 2-3 hours.

Also had project work and had to collect REAL manufacturing data and analyze during our 3 month off period and do a 20 minute presentation the next time.

this was in Deming statistical analysis. We had a 3 day small group project at the end.

we had the option of taking a final exam and getting 4 hours of credit in a graduate level course. I did so I technically have “graduate study” hours....so I can check the box that says I did graduate studies.

we worked hard and long, but did party once a week....with equal intensity and vigor...

You have your stuff together better than I. Tip of the hat to you.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,154PFN Referee

I don't care for summer. Too old to enjoy the beach (during times when people are there), TV sucks, there ain't much sports-wise, and the heat just kills me.

Which is funny, because as a (very weird) kid, I would play tennis all day in the summer. Wearing blue jeans. Never bothered me a bit.

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 45

"Where have all the posters gone,..."

cooler places without internet access.

BJD: I am the opposite. I love summer and hate winter.

Rye,

Me too. I hate being cold. I mean I hate it.

I would rather it be 90 than 30.

edited July 31

I misread this at first.....my wife accuses me of being Dr. Jekyl or Mr. Hyde....when I drive.

She says I drive like an out of control 17 YO or a senile pre AZD 71 YO. That goes back to when I traded in my C5 Vette and got a "trackable" C7 in 2016, the year I turned the big 71....and then went to the Ron Fellows Corvette High Performance Driving school the next spring (whilst still 71). SO, I would rather be 17 than 71 (or older). On a more whimsical note....

Obviously someone at Delta hires folks with strange humor.....but it DOES make sense....in a bizarre sort of way.....but you can easily PhotoShop it to suit your own crazy tastes....

• WolftownVA81WolftownVA81 Posts: 38

Been crazy busy at work but hope to remedy that next year. Still lurk when I can find the time.