Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Women's FIFA World Cup

Comments

• YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 458

Unsportsmanship is just that, no matter who its from. But that team was even worse. They defined ugly American to me. They were there to represent US, you and me and the US. They should have put their "ME, ME, ME" aside, and recognized that it is not about THEM but all of us.

I just watched a special on NASA and the race to the moon. I remember sitting in a camper (pop-up) at Oconee State Park watching the walk on the moon on a 9" b/w TV. As I saw the same images the other night it reminded me of how proud I was to be an American back then even though I was only 15. I still get choked up when I'm asked to stand when veterans are being honored for their service. I still remove my hat and put my hand over my heart to sing "The Star Spangled Banner", usually with a big lump in my throat. IMO, you put on a uniform that says USA you better be damned proud of it and not do crap that would bring dishonor to it, other wise don't wear it.

I'm not proud of some of our history because we made mistakes, that's part of being human, we aren't perfect. BUT, there were plenty of pretty smart men who put this thing called America together. No other nation has ever come close to our ideals, our liberties, our values, our opportunities, our achievements, our heritage, our compassion, or our greatness. There is a reason so many want to come here. If you don't like it here then good luck finding a better place. I guess what I'm the most sick of is what I see as disloyalty to a nation, that as a nation, is and always has been the best that ever was.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,016

Since we have morphed, I’ll add a comment. I watched ALL the festivities from DC on July 4th. Would have ordinarily gone to Koka Booth for the NC Symphony, but weather was very iffy.

As I watched the USA celebration, I was reminded of Neil Armstrong’s epic walk on the moon. Was a year out of State and living in PA. Was with a friend who was a SC Grad. WE were the ones called RACIST at lunch due to the “busing” court case in Charlotte....guilt by being from the south. My friend very calmly said that he would suggest that bussing be brought to Crawford county so the the Italians in the south part could be “integrated” with the Polish community to the North of town...so that the ethnic balance of the county matched the ethnic diversity goals of Meckenburgh county.

WHOA....blasphemous. No child of mine is going to school with the Poloks....then we’ll just keep your WOP @$$ out of North Meadeville. It really got a bit heated as they were playing cards at lunch. Finally the plant manager interceded and calmed things down.

I never think about the Apollo landing without remembering Mason, my friend. So when the NPR show celebrated (upcoming on 20 July) the anniversary, I started Googling. I found my friend and chased him down. He had already gone to bed, but had a wonderful conversation with his wife. WHY? Because we only had a little B&W and he had a 27” COLOR console and we stayed up all night watching. His children probably don’t remember, but I do.

Agree totally that some parts of our history need to be taken in context.... but some of the animosity and the hatred today in the name of political correctness will be viewed harshly later on.

• GowolvesGowolves Posts: 284
    edited July 2019

You act like other countries have no pride, values and morals. Only the great US of A. Unsportsmanlike conduct has nothing to do with whether you are a proud American, Britain, etc. That’s a bridge too far in my opinion.

As far as the protesting, not singing or hand of your heart I guess that’s just too much for you. Our country was founded and has fought for those rights to protest. I guess it was ok for Jesse Owens to hold his fist in the air in protest because he did it in front of a dictator but we all know it was the equal treatment for African Americans. We just kind of forget that.

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,385PFN Referee

Yikes I don't see Yogi as saying other countries have no pride, values and morals. I see him saying that he wants people that represent the USA to have a certain standard they should abide by. Not sure how that puts down other countries, maybe I missed something you could explain more clearly to me?

Jesse Owens might have agreed with Yogi I don't think he raised a fist on the Olympic scene again maybe I don't remember the history correctly but I think the fist raising came later.

"Two black track athletes using the Olympics as a platform for a political protest caused all eyes to turn to Jesse Owens for a comment. Owens did provide his opinion in an interview. He said:

These kids are imbued with the idea that there's a great deal of injustice in our nation. In their own way, they were trying to bring out what is wrong in our country. I told them that the problem certainly belonged in the continental borders of America. This was the wrong battlefield. Their running performances would have done more to alleviate the problem. Rather than the disrespect they showed to our flag and the discourtesy shown to the Mexican Government."

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2017/09/12/jesse-owens-protest

Go, pride, morals and values are universal. I ask you this. Why do you live in the US? I'm sure you could move to any country you wanted to so why do you live here? Why do you suppose more people want to come to the US than any other country? Why have people from every corner of the earth wanted to come here? That answer is easy, FREEDOM. Liberty. The opportunity to excel in any endeavor. In short, the best place on earth to live. Isn't that reason enough to embrace the system that was created to provide that? I think so.

The comment that no other country has come close to our ideals, our achievements, our compassion, our opportunities is big stretch. That was why I said what I said.

I can think of many scenarios where we fell well short of those. The growth of income division. The lack of opportunities because of the 1% bribing their way into college. The treatment of minorities because they are “living” as a black man. Treatment of immigrants at the border.

What I don’t understand is what political correctness have to do with the problems I mentioned.

Do you think all Americans are afforded the same freedoms? If you do then we will have to agree to disagree. Freedom to get married to whomever? The freedom to wait in a coffee shop as a black man without the cops being called. The freedom to swim in a pool as a guest of a member only to be told to leave because he was black and he “looked” like he didn’t belong there. The opportunities to excel but to find out later that you didn’t get into the college you wanted to go to because someone bribed their way in.

Go I can call out just as many instances of things that run contrary to what you say. For instance the freedom to call the President a criminal with no proof. The freedom to don masks to hide your identity and beat up those who don't agree with your political views. And yet there are plenty of places if you lived there those two actions would have gotten you killed. Not just your feelings hurt, KILLED. Perfection works both ways. We are afar from perfect. I never claimed that, but NO WHERE ELSE comes close. NO WHERE. For every place you can name on this earth I can list just as many negatives as you did about the US.

There is a far cry difference from total equality and the promises that the forefathers envisioned. The world they tried to define over 200 years ago has vastly changed. But no matter what you say I could offer you 100 grand to move where ever you like OUTSIDE the US for the rest of your life and you would not take it. HERE is better than anywhere else IN SPITE of everything you cited as the negatives. No country is perfect because all are made of highly imperfect people, but I'll take our imperfections over any others every day of the the week and twice on Sunday. Really Go, tell me one place that's better than this.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,101

I've played racquetball at a private club as the guest of a black man.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 376

Thanks, KHBJD!

Of course, I noticed a typo upon re-reading my comment - along instead of alone. Man, editors these days just suck ...

• Enjoyed reading different perspectives and nice to see it done civilly.

As for the women's team and it's criticism, we are essentially talking about one person, Megan Rapinoe. Sure, others could be dinged for "excessive" celebrating in the 13-0 rout, but overall they have represented our Nation well imo.

What Rapinoe has done to irritate folks is to make comments about the President. I wouldn't likely do that while a Representative of the US, but let's not succumb to the mindlessness of Twitter and think this is the downfall of Democracy either.

Bluntly, Trump criticizes people freely and they do the same to him. Any sense of decorum in this area is all but lost it seems.

Now, with regard to their (largely Rapinoe's initially) comments on Equal Pay, LGTBQ, etc that is another thing. I don't like the mixing of Sports and Politics, but my only choice at this point is whether I watch. They have valid points and we can debate where and when that conversation should happen.

Let's face it. With social media and the fact that the squeaky wheel typically gets the oil, how can we expect anything less.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a fan of how Rapinoe has handled herself lately, but I try to keep that separate from the issues she raises. A little too much spotlight grabbing (Espys,. Parade, etc.) For my taste, personally.

One final note. Rapinoe was quoted as saying we need to "listen more and talk less". I agree with her and hopefully she can take some of her own advice. Of course, so do most others villifying her.

Off the soapbox.

All should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. Seems like I heard something like that somewhere ... I wonder where that wisdom is found?

I will provide a little humor and perhaps insight. The thoughts here may or may not reflect those of the posters, the administrators or even me....or maybe they will.

We report....you decide. A very interesting commentary....

https://www.bobleesays.com/2019/07/11/bobleesays-megan-rapinoe-uswnt/

No room for Jaelene Hinkle on this team.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 886

First off, on the “payment equality” issue, they are showing incredible intellectual shallowness, but alas, it’s the age we live in.

My big issue with Rapinoe is that she basically handles herself as a spoiled teenager whose parents never punished her. She is an excellent soccer player and is in great shape, clearly she takes pride in her craft.

However, there are so many narratives that are “off” with this story.

1. US Women winning the WC is NOT shocking or an upset. It was basically like watching Teenagers versus kids.
    2. The team itself was NOT very diverse. How many latinas were on the squad? (I don’t think that’s a big deal personally, but a lot of people, especially those who bark versus the President constantly, claim this is important to them.
    3. The 2017 Women’s team lost to the boys U15 team 5-2 in 2017. (Remember this next time they bring up pay equity.)

• RickRick Posts: 1,892PFN Referee
    edited July 2019

This is be far the most disappointing part of the whole thing. If someone was left off of the team because they are gay it would have been the dominate discussion during the tournament. But in this there are crickets.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 886

That’s not an important story, else ESPN would tell us so.

I hadn't planned to say anything about Hinkle but that speaks volumes. Obvious discrimination from Rapinoe, and say what you want but she is the reason Hinkle was dropped from the team. Had it happened the other way around the soccer world would have come to an end.

One opinion in support of what you said

well written. Being a proponent of alternative lifestyles does not or should not include being s spoiled brat

https://www.newsmax.com/reagan/national-anthem-rapinoe-nfl/2019/07/12/id/924235/

• I have read a little about the Hinkle story and there is only one thing I know for sure, and that's that we don't know the whole story.

I'm not a media basher, but neither ESPN or the 700 Club is going to dig far enough to get the entire truth. Shocking, I know.

In addition, there are those that say that the USWNT is of one mind and they are all BFFs. In looking closely at them and their behavior, I don't see that at all.

Let's feel free to hammer away at Rapinoe as she takes center stage and absorbs all of the limelight (selfishly, imo). However, let's reserve labeling the whole team as a bunch of troublemakers until we have a little more data.

A huge a fan as I am of the game (BJD, I may have you here), Rapinoe and Morgan are not even the players I enjoy watching/following so this opinion is not from a "fan" perspective.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 376

Well, I really enjoy watching Alex Morgan ...

OKEY DOKEY.....now we got Religion into the mix. Already had Politics and Lifestyles. I smell a soap opera or maybe a Netflix BioPic or DocuDrama in the making. Based on what “community” norms are, the various religious conferences would be feudin’ and a fightin’ over whether “THEIR” religion condones or condemns alternative lifestyles.

4in12 is correct....this might add a few minutes to the “claim to fame” clock that SOME appear to be watching as they tweet and go on “shows” or make cutesy sound bites or utter profanity....

Can’t recall if there was ever REAL coverage from strictly a pure athletic viewpoint....but my soccer IQ is low....but I also don’t like to listen to agendas dominating the play-by-play and color analysis. If I wanted that, then there are a LOT of cable channels that could run commentaries and skip the onfield stuff.

Thanks for the link