Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Women's FIFA World Cup

Comments

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 886

True. Of course, Ford wasn’t founded as part of the nazi party. But he definitely had awful views in this area. I am glad that our country is becoming less hateful in some aspects. However, it’s unfortunate human nature to scapegoat and tribalize. I think about 90% of the most folks alive back then probably had values we find despicable today. I wonder how our generation and the wrongs we casually accept will be seen.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,016

I have a JAB product....my RED Kuerig. I guess, since it is the sacred color, I will keep it.

I personally think that associating one's self with a Reality Show production (the MEGA PUTT PUTT test) is far more offending.

NOW, I do admit to being a Miniature Golf afficiando. Played PP with my GS since he was old enough to hold the little plastic hokey stick style club. We have a time share in MB and the owner's also owned a chain of PP (miniature golf) course there and we got mega amounts of passes. We played and played and played. Now he is 16 and can hold his own with me and we have a great GUYS OUT time when we go to the Dragon at Broadway Beach.

BUT, a Ninja style reality PRODUCED by a NBA SuperStar (who is also conversant and has a solution to every social ill or discrimination and such....maybe he ought to pay the reparations himself). Coupled with his wife's comment.....we can't afford housing in San Francisco. GIVE ME A BREAK. EOR....

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,385PFN Referee

Who makes up these brackets? The last time Germany had as easy a path through France was ... you get the picture.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 376

And even then the Krauts had to go through Belgium ...

I think the Brits got a bit Tea'd off by the win and Morgans celebration but that's ok, it's not the first time the USA has Tea'd them off.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,315PFN Referee

Rooting for Sverge all the way! Especially pretend boo #23. :D

• GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 654

IMO Nobody has pointed out the real culprit in this mess -- the Taiwan coach. He/she brought a team to the WWC who were not ready to play. Coach did not prepare them to play 90 minutes nor did he/she prepare them to lose big. And they quit on each other.

This could have been a learning opportunity for the Taiwan team. If they were young talent, there's nothing wrong with getting routed by a better team. Just don't let the time be a waste.

• GowolvesGowolves Posts: 284
    edited July 2019

Thailand not Taiwan. But excellent point none the less

Brain fart! Maybe I ought to go back to lurking. 😬

No stay around. You are one of the few that has a positive outlook for NCSU athletics.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,101

Since this is a thread about “football”, you only have to create a chance. You don’t have to score

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,315PFN Referee

I don't have any issue with scoring ad infinitum. But you don't celebrate after a certain point, it's not sportsmanlike.

Very much agree.

No one has mentioned the referee. One yellow card with a team warning and that crap would come to a screeching halt.

Some of these girls are playing their first cup. It’s the pinnacle of their career. I do understand why some were upset with the celebrations but if i was out there I’m not sure I wouldn’t have done the same. It’s a big moment on the biggest stage. Emotions can overwhelm them.

Some agree....I don’t. If that was OK, then the 47-24 beat down by VT was OK

I would like to see more Geico commercial like soccer slide celebrations.

• YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 458

This team has been unsportsmanlike from start to finish and some would say un-American and is certainly a black eye on our country if this is the best we can do. I'd rather have a team that lost and represented us with sportsmanship and dignity than the ugly team we fielded, and make no mistake, from some perspectives they were REALLY UGLY. I have no time to waste on a team like this. I wouldn't pull for them if they were playing UNX or the Russians. just my two cents.

Yogi, at least for me....you nailed it. The team is not the US Olympic Men's Hockey team. They are politicizing the events when we all need to be a US team and not mini factions of social agendas.

I have a bit of a background in FIFA, although NOT from a pure Soccer perspective. When the finals were held in the US many years ago, our company, which had plants in several international locations with team participating, ran a "Sales" contest.

Our customers would earn "Points" based on purchases. Then we paid for their visit to the US. We flew them around the SE to visit our various plants and we entertained them. It was a great bonding exercise for the customers as well as management from the plants, as they were included.

There was a tremendous amount of pride from all of them.....and none of this "tweeting and politicizing".

I never watched a match live and only put it on to go to sleep by as the NRHA finals were a bit loud and not restful.

• RickRick Posts: 1,890PFN Referee

I enjoyed the tournament. Are the ladies perfect? No but what sports team is. Unfortunately politics has infiltrated everything in society. It's not going to keep me from enjoying sports I want to watch.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 376

I agree Rick. Politics infests everything. When I go to Chick-fil-A, I want a spicy chicken sandwich, not to ban gay marriage. When I go to Starbucks, I want a cup of coffee, not one-world government. Leave me along and let me enjoy my chicken, coffee, and hot babes playing soccer.

Probably helps that I'm not on the Twitters ...

So let get this straight. We are ok with the men grabbing their nut sacks, imitation blow jobs on the field and after a goal? I have seen it all when comes to soccer goal celebrations at the professional level. BJD can attest to what is seen at the Euro level of professional football

What i I mean by “ok” is bashing the women on the same level of the transactions above. Sipping a cup of tea? Speaking confidentially about how good they are? Celebrating a goal at the highest level of their profession for their country?

Personally I think there is huge double standard going on here. That’s my two cents, Yogi

• 4in124in12 Posts: 163

For my taste, there's too much celebrating period. Men and women, all sports. You scored, good for you. Accept a congratulatory slap on the back and get back in the game. This strutting around like a peacock and putting on a stage show is ridiculous. Sadly, it's now the norm and I'm an old fart who needs to get with the times.

Professor Harold Hill summed it up....

First, medicinal wine from a teaspoon....then beer from a bottle.....which leads to.

Going to the Armory dance where there are Scarlet WOMEN.....Liberty and Rag Time....EVIL...

I saw the clips of Zion in his "flashy" NBA Draft clothes.... or the "Alter Boy or Alcolyte" Outfit.

Was he mimicking LeBron or Christ? Certainly looked like he was saintly and holy.

Then....after his thunderous "Steal" or maybe a MONSTER DUNK, he flashed his NEW personna.....BIG ARM....BIG MAN.....I'm here to kick ASS.....as well he can.

The excessive celebrating and debachery behavior is sometimes called out....I remember one NFL guy that pretended to wipe his behind on a goal post. That is calm now.

Throw in the "We is ATHLETIC....We Makes (or want to for the girls) money....We is SMART because we is a Super Star Athlete..." attitude and then it gets synergistic and revolting (to me....maybe not all....but i count....just as everyone does..." I don't flaunt my personal beliefs (ok, from TIME to time I might have hinted....), but deciding NOT to purchase a certain whoosly brand of athletic attire is MY perogative and I can vote with my pocket book.

It ain't gonna stop as long as it makes "Twitter" or an ESPN Sound Bite or can be used as an edge on the field or in negotiating a contract. There was a column recently by a "sports and politics" guy. He mused that in the 70's we did not know the political affiliation of our co-workers and/or bosses.....UNLESS we socialized AWAY FROM WORK with them and Politics was NOT a major water cooler topic. Probably took a little bit of poetic license, but the overall comments were true. NOW, we have to wear certain hats or colors or "designs" to flaunt or tell the world that WE IS WHO WE IS....and we don't give Jack Rabbit Crap about what others think or their right to have a dissenting opinion.

4in12, I agree.....I guess I am getting more crotchety.....who knows....but one thing I DO know, I can watch and spend (or lack there of) as I please and if I like something....I can buy it and be happy or NOT buy it and really be Happy.

NOW....a word of endorsement for alternative athletic shoes. IF you want the most comfortable pair of "Cross Training/Running/Walking" shoes that I have ever had....I recommend the Brooks Ghost 11 "Running Shoes". My PT ladies love them. They have way MORE support than the popular brands. I put on a pair and walked 10 ft and LOVED them. I have since worked out in them a few times and put a few miles on them. That includes my "NFL Combine" drills that I have to do on a Treadmill (sideways and backwards - YouTube videos are coming). THEY Give me support and are comfortable and just give me more of a sense of "restoration of my balance and agility".

They don't have ( I think...) high paid spokespersons. They were voted in several surveys as the MOST comfortable walking shoe....for all ages....even though Brooks sells them (DSW has them) as a Running Shoe... Several of the specialty upper end shoe stores say that they are the best value and comparable to the really NICE ones that are TWICE the price (which I DO purchase for my DW as she needs to keep her tootsie from becoming bunion land). Maybe I ought to buy their stock....now that one company's political statements are having a small impact on sales....

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,101

Kids in their knickerbockers, shirt tail young ones, staring in the pool hall window after school

Oh yes we got trouble here, we got big big trouble. With a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for pool

When you perform in a musical like this the songs and script stay with you forever.