Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Women's FIFA World Cup

RickRick Posts: 1,330PFN Referee

Anyone watching? I have watched several games.

I watched the US last night. I am not sure I have ever seen a more dominate performance. 13-0

I know the other team was weak but they are a top 16 team in the world and the US just crushed them.

Comments

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 767PFN Referee

I saw the record setting game. A stellar display of futball prowess by those talented ladies.

• RickRick Posts: 1,330PFN Referee

fresh,

Agreed. It is a load of crap.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,480
    edited June 12

Methinks U S Coach Jill Ellis was getting strategy texts from some guy in Durham named Mikey with a last name that I cannot spontaneously spell correctly.

Adds a whole new meaning to the phrase, UGLY American. No MERCY rules?

You don't have mercy on the worlx cup. Goal differential is a component. You go for the throat.

You don't want to lose like that then get better

When the people making up the rules include it as one of the components in advancing then I don't understand the ugly American reference.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,154PFN Referee

Kaylyn Kyle has received death threats. That is absolutely fucking shameful.

I agree, you don't call of the dogs and quit scoring, but I think a bit of decorum is in order.

Fun tourney, though.

• GowolvesGowolves Posts: 284

Actually they are 34th in the world rankings. Thailand is bad but didn’t think that bad.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 377

While I found that match very difficult to watch once they had scored about 8 or 9 goals (too much empathy from my coaching and playing days), I don't begrudge the US for scoring that many goals.

To 83's point, the system in place (goal differential) warrants that. Most youth tournaments cap goal differential at 3 or 5 goals per game. Should that be done at the WWC? Probably not. They are professionals and a game that is criticized for being low scoring wants to provide an incentive for goals, right?

As for the celebrations, I do think some of it was a little excessive (Alex Morgan's 5th?), but I can live with that. What I did take some umbrage with was Coach Jill Ellis' celebrations late in the game. Reacting to goal 11, 12, and 13 just as though your team just scored the game winner in extra time is a bit over the top for me.

On a related note, I was pleased that the Thai team maintained their relative composure on the field and didn't start hacking away at the US players. It could have gotten ugly.

Also, I'm curious to see how the rest of play unfolds for this group. Does everyone go full-steam to run it up on a likely disheartened Thai team? Does Red Cross run onto the field to triage the Thai goalkeeper next time? Does the Thai team get a sponsorship from Kleenex?

Inquiring minds want to know.

They have to run up the score on Thailand. Only chance they have

While what Kaylyn Kyle said was disgusting there is no need for death threats. It was probably Russian bots.

Good point, I hadn't even thought of the Russian bot factor. What a world, eh?

I have been more than a little creepily in love with Kaylyn from when she played in the last WWC. Little firecracker of a midfielder, she was.

• GowolvesGowolves Posts: 284

Sweden is in the same group as the US. Sweden beat us last year or the year before in a tournament. Sweden has talent. It’s possible they could thrash Thailand as well. Those goals could possibly come into play. Highly doubt it but you can’t take that chance. Now there is little chance of not making to the group stage but you don’t want to come in second in your group and have to play a more difficult one seed from a different group. Assuming there are no upsets.

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 45

bulletin board material?

white (racist) board material?

more motivation for all USA's opponents?

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 978

This criticism is silly

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 657

Watched the highlights. With the exception of the one individual celebration, it wasn’t as bad as I was led to believe. However, Karma is a well, you know, and the USA coach should be fired for having Morgan out there when there is no way the US could lose. (She was very classy in all of her goals for the most part.)

International women’s soccer is very shallow. A 13-0 game is the equivalent of a 60 point basketball game. If they are looking for “equality” this is a real bad example.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 377

I was reminded that when the US made their last substitution (max 3 allowed), Morgan only had 2 goals. Given that she was hurt and not at full strength last World Cup, I can appreciate why she might not have been substituted. I don't like it, but I can appreciate the reasoning.

Morgan is also the ummmm, reason why many perverts watch. It's good footy, too. But having one of the best athletes in the world be supermodel attractive is great for ratings, I'm sure.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 275

Hey, just because I like looking at supermodels doesn't make me a pervert. I'm hurt, man ... and lonely!

hey dude, count me amongst the pervs! I find "creepy old man footy crushes" like every match! 😆

US women dominate again. Hopefully, they don’t forget how to play defense.

Chilean goaltender putting on a show as well. But she’s the only opponent who looks worthy competition.

By the way - could we perhaps have another sponsor than the car company founded by Nazis.

Funny, these women get “hurt” a lot less than their male counterparts.

of course, Henry Ford was also sommet of a Nazi. What is it with them folk and cars??

• 44rules44rules Posts: 275

Need that totalitarian German precision engineering? Rather have a way to have great cars with no genocide, though ...