Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Comments

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 948

I do like this twist of irony:

N.C. State chancellor Randy Woodson also sits on the committee, as does Gardner-Webb president Frank Bonner.

• RickRick Posts: 1,394PFN Referee

Who cares .

The damage is already done. They built a brand, won national championship and have set themselves up for winning for a long time. And the NCAA did nothing about it. The NCAA is a joke. This is closing the barn door after the horses already left.

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,039

Agree with Rick.

The more I think about it, this actually helps unc. It solidifies their standing as no one can cheat to complete with them.

Yes, it does help them. They got away but the dead bodies they used to build their pyramids are all forgotten. Just no one in the future can do the same...

I’ve long felt it was so crooked that it doesn’t matter. I never thought anything was actually going to happen to UNC. Really the best thing that came out of it app was exposing the Carolina Way.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 687

So. What.

Look, the NCAA has shown their true colors. They hit Penn State hard - and went waaaaaay outside their rules to do it. When UNC-Ch did something that was truly creating an advantage, they took a pass. I mean, maybe I should be worried about the Adidas / Gott stuff, but I really don’t care anymore.

I have come to the conclusion that it’s such a dirty business, well, whatever. I will follow the games and stuff, but there’s absolutely zero respect from an organization I see with less integrity than street corner drug dealer.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,331PFN Referee

I mean, that man's at least gotta have a code. h/t, Omar Little

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,413

Even with the typo defense, the preponderance of the evidence said academic fraud. Allowing a defendant to be the sole arbiter of his (my apologies for the gender containing pronoun) guilt or innocence only works until you run into an institution brazen enough to organize academic fraud for 20 years to win at athletics.

This rule essentially says that the NCAA never expected to run across an institution as sleazy as the one in Orange County. The minimum level of integrity and shame standard had the floor blown right through it with the cheaters response to the situation so they had to reset.

The homer media could have shamed them into oblivion had they really cared, but even they were willing to feign outrage for 30 seconds and move on because they didn't want to answer questions about why they never figured this out on their own.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 413

The sad irony is that such a gross case of lack of institutional control couldn't be made because the other violations were not technically violations.

I would like to say this is the point where I gave up on the NCAA, but that ship had long since sailed.

And it should be noted that this media wasn’t just local, but national. In addition, the education community has been largely silent as have the other power players in college athletics. I wonder how the media would have reacted if Mack and Roy had been caught on tape saying bad things (not related to cheating at grades or paying players.)

The reason NC State didn’t announce we were forfeiting all games with UNC in men’s basketball is the same reason most of the local beat writers in other cities, ESPN, CBS, etc. didn’t come after UNC. NC State couldn’t throw too many rocks due to a glass house (Gott). All those local beat writers are covering programs that do the same thing, and those big media companies all profit off the NCAA in some way.

Yep Rye. That’s what I said when we were quiet as a church mouse...we were obviously cheating too.

• SaccoVSaccoV Posts: 61

Frank Bonner is on the committee? He was Herb Tarlek on WKRP in Cincinnati!!

chop: Yes. That was a depressing day. Had we had the moral high ground, the path was to go on the offensive. Screw the BOG. Screw Swofford's cabal. Burn it down to level the playing field.

We didn't. Thus we knew..........

And that solidified my opinion on Yow. She knew.

She has done a lot of good for State but the hiring of Gott was bad on many levels.

Rick: Mine too. And we share the same thoughts on Yow.

• HighstickHighstick Posts: 288PFN Referee

And I continue to wonder why anyone would want to compete when they know that the deck is stacked against them.

• HighstickHighstick Posts: 288PFN Referee

She left many hints as to her attitude from her first year. It's much more clear now.

Yow acted like a guy trying to take a girl with him at last call at the 5-0 or Mitch’s or Barry’s or Pantana Bob’s or the New Bar or East Village Tavern...and it about went as well as expected.