Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

The PLOT (and ROSTER) THICKENS - HBBC KK Filling Out his DANCE Card - JUCCO Transfer

Comments

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 830

I think we aren’t done. I expect to add another guard, though I don’t think it is official for another few weeks.

• RickRick Posts: 1,315PFN Referee

I guess this is the norm for men's college basketball. I can't say it's particularly enjoyable to play the rotating door of players.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 642

He had offers from WV, TA&M and VT.. Long player with a decent jump shot. Hopefully, he’s a high energy guy who will get after it defensively.

As of of right now, a minimum of 3 spots are opening up next year, depending on who comes back and whom is brought in by end of year, that number could go up or down.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,529PFN Referee
    edited May 4

Loading up the roster with Southwest Mississippi, Lehigh, and Nebraska transfers. Good grief. Putting it frankly, this sounds like it's a turd that will be in need of epic polishing. Apologies for being so glum about it, but we play in the ACC. I don't see how this team will compete for anything next season.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 204

What's Eric Lockett's deal??? Dude is selling all his "game worn" stuff on ebay. Sold two pairs of uniform shorts, now his white home jersey is for sale along with his team issued shoes.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,465
    edited May 5

Gonna have himself a “senior day” frame made. Cant blame him. We defected all over him.

please post a link. Could not find them on eBay. Lots of Dorn and Warren and an old pair of women’s PINK Nike shorts.

Thanks

uhhhhh, wow that's a lot of ;alkdfj;alkjdf;lkaj;dlkfja;lkdjf;aljdf

Sam, I fixed it so it looks a little prettier. I'm still not sold on this new editor and it's compatibility with links so at some point when I get some time I may test out old editor with upgraded software and make the switch back to it.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,465
    edited May 5

Interesting. I finally found some search criteria that had Lockett's stuff. His name or handle is spelled with only one "T" and the "C" is missing. The picture is also an FIU one and NOT an NCSU one. Items are shipped from Miami.

Is he STILL enrolled or at NCSU?

Did his girlfiend decide to sell his stuff....? Maybe he gave them to her?

There are a LOT of Game Worn or Used or Team Issued NCSU stuff out there. Some football stuff (gloves signed by players) and shoes and such. Some NEW (never worn) BB shoes....size 12.5. Good deal....I may bid.

Dorn and Warren's stuff is there. The paranoia index wonders if Dorn's LOVE video was timed to coincide with the $1000 ebay launch of his jersey. Don't GO bonkers.....it was probably just luck or not connected.

Appears that many folks sell their stuff to get a little pocket change. I would also NOT begrudge Eric ANY compensation for how we treated him.

I often WONDER. AD Yow said in an email that Markell Johnson was NOT paying for his attorney as I wanted to set up a GoFundMe....that SHE was. I WONDER if she was allowed to also provide legal counsel for Lockett...?

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 752PFN Referee

If Dorn's Video was timed to coincide with selling I would think it was smart.

From experience most NC State game worn stuff you'll find on ebay are football jerseys obtained at red/white spring games...used to sell off surplus stuff. There is or was a Torin Dorn jersey on there. Very rare to see basketball items as they are never sold to the public due to no real surplus of them which is why I wander the deal with Lockett. TJ Warren's stuff is NOT AUTHENTIC and a complete Chinese knock off, trust me.

I collect game worn sports apparel, I'm no expert but believe I know my NC State stuff.

MY BAD!!!! I meant Dennis Smith Jr. stuff....not TJ

Apparently Cone is going to VT.

Wow our recruiting is not going well

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 976

Seems like the way things are going now. Certainly not just State loading up on transfers. Other schools though are recruiting better, and adding pieces here and there. Not quite sure why KK’s recruiting isn’t improving.

It's a mess boys!! Just step around it, don't look at it or touch it.

edited May 6

I just dug through some old stats. This past year's roster had 2 top 100 players playing minutes (and 2 red shirting). That's the fewest in the rotation that I could find going back nearly 20 years. We had 4 top 100 players in the rotation during KK's first season.

While doing that, I looked at "blow out games" where we lost by 10 or more points. Last season this happened 4 times. That was the fewest games like this since 2003 (HWSNBN's 2nd place ACC finish). Some will be quick to site non-conference SOS, but those beat downs typically came in conference. For reference, Gott's last year we had 11 such losses.

Glass half empty view: Damn lies and statistics.

Glass half full view: First you lose by a lot, then by a little, then win by a little, then win by a lot.

My take aways:

• KK can coach them above the talent level
    • Regardless of how I slice the stats side, we are steadily getting better.
    • Gott left us a flaming dumpster fire in every way. KK's done a lot in two seasons.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 256PFN Referee

Glass half full view: First you lose by a lot, then by a little, then win by a little, then win by a lot.

Recruiting rankings are not everything....but I don't see State moving forward unless the recruiting improves.

• Tau837Tau837 Posts: 65
    edited May 6

Yeah, seems like a good time to re-post some stuff I posted in March (but with corrected rankings in some cases).

247’s composite high school rankings for the 2018-2019 active roster:

1. Johnson 58 (2016)
    2. Funderburk 73 (2016)
    3. Harris 121 (2017)
    4. Hellems 142 (2018)
    5. Daniels 203 (2016)
    6. Beverly 321 (2017)
    7. Lockett 370 (2014)
    8. Dorn 386 (2014)
    9. Bryce N/A (no 247 recruiting profile) (2015)
    10. Walker N/A (no 247 recruiting profile) (2015)

First off, look at what KK did with that talent level. Look at what he got out of Dorn, Beverly, and Bryce, none of whom ranked in the top 300. How can you not be encouraged by that?

Now look at the 247 composite high school rankings for the projected 2019-2020 active roster:

1. Lecque 40 (2019)
    2. Johnson 58 (2016)
    3. Funderburk 73 (2016)
    4. Seabron 100 (2019)
    5. Bates 104 (2018)
    6. Harris 121 (2017)
    7. Hellems 142 (2018)
    8. Daniels 203 (2016)
    9. Beverly 321 (2017)
    10. Bryce N/A (no 247 recruiting profile) (2015)
    11. Andree N/A (no 247 recruiting profile) (2016)
    12. Taylor N/A (no 247 recruiting profile) (2017)
    13. Lockett 370 (2014)
    14. Dorn 386 (2014) (2014)
    15. Walker N/A (no 247 recruiting profile) (2015)

If both Lecque and Markell go pro, it doesn't look good. Otherwise, even if only one of them is on the roster, it looks like a talent upgrade.

edited May 6

I mean, we'll find out how good we are next season in short order.. because as yall know.. time waits for no man!

Lecque is finito is what I thought??? MJ still TBD.

Once we find out which uniform MJ puts on next year we can start to discuss expectations.. but if he's gone and we miss another tournament that ain't going to boost recruiting and we'll be could face a scenario of being a team scratching and clawing just to stay in the middle of the ACC rankings. It's good to be optomistic, but I'm having trouble understanding what is KK plan for getting us out of this cycle?

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 642

Good information Rye. I just hope we don’t get burned with both of those guys because they have definitely prevented us from bringing in other guards. I also hope that KK is a better personnel manager than Les Robinson, who just made some horrid decisions.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,293

Counting on Seabron and Bates for anything other than depth would be dicey. If MJ leaves were looking at 15-15 type of season.

Someone on another site posted this and I felt it was a pretty good synopsis:

• KK recruits a 5 star and they go pro: Bleep KK. Doesn’t he know that kid won’t be here!?!?
    • KK recruits a 4 star: Bleep KK. Doesn’t he know you need to offer 4 stars earlier?
    • KK picks up a JUCO: Bleep KK. Doesn’t he know you need 5 stars to beat UNC/Duke.

Tough situation and tough crowd.

I fully understand we need more top 100 kids to move up in the ACC. I don’t believe this year is make or break like some do. This is Murphy’s guy and Boo isn’t going to start his stint as AD by alienating donor #1. KK will get lots of run.

KK is here for a long while. Might as well sit back and watch.

Recruiting is not looking good no matter how much you polish the turd. That list Tau has up there is not striking fear into anyone. Especially if the top two on the list aren't here.