Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Garrett Bradbury # 18 PICK - First Round NFL Draft

Post May have a double link. Here is the OFFICIAL GoPack article.

https://gopack.com/news/2019/4/25/football-bradbury-selected-in-first-round-by-vikings.aspx

Comments

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,293

I was hoping he might fall to the Texans at 23, but they ended up getting a tackle from ALABAMA (St). Hopefully Bradbury has a 15 year NFL career and goes to Canton when it's all said and done.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 263

Here's a good write-up on Finley from somebody who can explain football much better than I can:

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/3/27/18267742/ryan-finley-nc-state-boise-draft

• RickRick Posts: 1,315PFN Referee

I read we have put the third most players in the NFL draft in the past three years. Even though the past two years have been nice, it seems our on field results don't measure up to that level of talent.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 256PFN Referee

it seems our on field results don't measure up to that level of talent.

Agreed, but the team's results are a function of the entire team....and State's secondary has been extraordinarily weak both years. Is it schemes or talent? I wish I knew enough to be able to tell the difference.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,135PFN Referee

The Athletic's mock from this morning has Finley to P*ts last pick of 2nd (BOOOOOO!), Harmon to Bucs and Pratt to Donks (WOOOOOOO!!!!) early Round 3.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 204

How many times have I asked/pointed out this very situation...most specifically about a year ago's defensive front line which almost all were taken by the second round. THAT group, along with every other group under Hux gives up 25+ points a game. Any of us wander how/why we lose the games we do...it's not the offense, never has been. It's the defensive squad that's usually loaded with talent minus the secondary for the most part. Yes, we also send tons from the offensive side of the ball but for the most part the boys on "O" produce.

I know this is a highly debatable topic but I'm still disgusted about the whole Russel Wilson debacle. Damn shame a talent like him, recruited to play school at State and had undeniable all ACC talent attaches another universities name to him on the professional level. That's old news, sorry to bring that up. "where's Mike Glennon now?"

Not going to debate, because I can see both sides in the Wilson v. Glennon thing. But Glennon was a capable QB - now a backup with Oakland. It does say a lot about O'Brien's unwillingness or inability to recruit that he was afraid of Glennon leaving if he kept Russell.

I have read commentators say that Wilson standing behind that massive Wisconsin O-line "proved" to the NFL that he had a chance at the next level. I, for one, believed he was NFL bound when he was here, but I'm a fanboy.

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 976

We’ve had some truly GREAT players but not enough around them.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,293

I said after last year's draft that I didn't know whether to be encouraged or discouraged. DD has not had a transcendent player yet. Finley was very good, but never got us over the hump with a big game on the line. (Don't say Bambard missed the FG. That whole drive was Matt Dayes.) He needs to bring in a Wilson or a Rivers to get us over the hump in really important games. Right now he's built a program that can out perform and out execute the middle of the road teams 75% of the time. That will win you 8-9 games every year until we have a much tougher OOC schedule but eventually people won't be satisfied with beating the weak sisters every year and folding when a division title is on the line.

😜 We're State fans. I.E. - bipolar - so we can be both encouraged and discouraged!

• GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 441

Be encouraged or discouraged. Either way the choice is really yours.

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 752PFN Referee

Well if we put a Pack fan in a box he can be both encouraged and discouraged at the same time. If we do that and write two posts and print them separately we would have a pair of docs.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,135PFN Referee

I am so angry with Denver I could spit. That Lock asshole, then taking a "just a guy" DT 1 spot ahead of Pratt in the 3rd.

Did Harmon and Finley not get picked at all?

• OldMan94OldMan94 Posts: 28

Nope. QBs don’t seem to be in high demand and I assume Harmon’s ‘meh’ performance at the combine has pushed them way down the board.

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 976

Panthers took Will Grier in the 3rd. Wtf? First two picks were solid.

• GowolvesGowolves Posts: 284

Harmon, Finley, Myers, and two of the best offensive lineman not picked. These GM’s fall in love with conferences. Looking at you, SEC.

Whoever gets Harmon, Myers, Jones and Prescod will be getting a steal.

• OldMan94OldMan94 Posts: 28

I agree GoWolves. I’m amazed by the number of ‘average’ players taken from certain schools and conferences. IMHO Harmon looks to be ready to be a #2 or #3 WR for half the teams in the NFL tomorrow. Felt like a lot of ‘projects’ were drafted last night.

A lot of opinion here.

Harmon and Meyers may have hurt each other's chances. 1000 yard seasons are not that all uncommon. Said another way they split 2000 yards. On most teams one would have had 1500+/- yards while the other would have had 600 or so yards.

The Pack offense IMO wasn't set up in such a way as to show an offensive lineman's ability especially early in the season. Jones and Prescod both are better than the Pack's numbers would indicate.

Myers was a play maker. Great hands if I recall. It’s all about speed in the NFL. If you can get separation by running great routes and being shifty then you can make up the difference somewhat.

I think the underwear olympics hurt them. One of the offensive linemen graded out as the best in the ACC.

McShay said Finley was better than Daniel Jones who went sixth overall. I don’t think that’s much of a stretch. He’s right.

From what I have seen and read up on, the Pack's technique is quite current with what you see in the NFL. Unfortunately it is not being taught or used in HS so when the player goes from looking for the ball to keeping his eyes on the receiver and playing the ball when it arrives at the receivers hands, the back has to overcome literally years of habit.

Mean time we experts are asking as sarcastically as possible, "Can't the DB learn to turn and watch the ball?" Technique evolves and what we learned in HS or college and was the accepted way, may not be what is being coached or taught today.

We have accumulated much better athletes and have IMO the kind of coach we need to get the job done in the back.

As far as scheme is concerned, I'm pretty sure our scheme is OK but our past ability to coach and teach has been the issue with the safeties. I like the current set-up with Tony Gibson being the coordinator of the back four and also is the safeties coach. He's a guy who loves to coach DBs and is very hands on. Does not want to be up in the box but wants to be down on the field where he can "look a player in the eye and see if he's confident and ready to play."

In the spring game we played much tighter on the receivers than in last years games. You got to expect good receivers to make plays sometimes but this spring the receivers were contested nearly every play. Very little running around open or separated from the DBs.

This is more than you asked for and is only one fan's view and opinion.

• Finley to the Bengals as the 2nd pick of Round 4

Harmon to Washington in the sixth round