Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Yow's Farewell Letter

freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 706PFN Referee
edited April 22 in Wolfpack Sports
Dear Wolfpack Family,

Nine years ago in June, I was given the opportunity to come back home to North Carolina and to NC State by a newly-selected Chancellor, Dr. Randy Woodson.  For that, I will always be grateful.

The Wolfpack AD position was viewed by me as both a personal and professional opportunity, an extremely attractive possibility to return home to help a school where my family had grown deep roots over several decades.

Since that time, each day has been filled with discussions and decisions related to Wolfpack Athletics.  Questions like these:  "How can we improve competitively and academically?"  "How can we generate new or enhanced revenue streams to upgrade the overall situation for coaches and student-athletes?"  "What culture do we want to create that will be embraced by our campus community and supporters?" and "How do we keep our best staff and coaching talent and attract others who want to share in this journey?"

Today, looking back now over the nine years, I am grateful to all involved in elevating our national profile as a program…staff, coaches, student-athletes, Wolfpack Club donors, season ticket holders, and University colleagues.

That said, we are still a work in progress.  We are now a nationally ranked and recognized athletic program.  We have made significant headway, but we understand that there is much more to achieve.  Maintaining that resolve has been, and will continue to be, challenging.  However, the only limitations we have are those that we place upon ourselves.

That perspective was demonstrated this past year by one of our male athletes.  After having lost a contest he believed his team should have won, he told his teammates the following: "We are talented, but we forgot who we are."  He added, "that in times of disappointment, we should look not at what is behind us, but instead, at our opportunities."  That sentiment describes well what our last nine years together have been about…remembering who we are, planning for the future, managing disappointments and celebrating every step of progress.

Coach Valvano said it in his way:  "Never give up.  Don't ever give up."  My sister Kay said it like this:  "When life kicks you, let it kick you forward."  Our Wolfpack athlete above had his unique way of expressing the same perspective.  However it is said, it is a formula for success for those who persevere.

One day recently, a Wolfpack alumnus asked me if I were glad, in retrospect, to have taken on the responsibilities of being State's AD.  My response was unhesitating, as I said to him I would do it all again.  That answer is a reflection and recognition of the essence of this place that we love, of your steadfast commitment and unwavering belief in the Promise of the Pack.

It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as your AD.  Our future is bright because of your unrelenting resolve to support this program.  In my last request as your AD, I ask that you welcome the new AD, Boo Corrigan, with open hearts in the Wolfpack Way and continue the progress we have made over the last few years.  And stand with Chancellor Woodson, a leader who is innovative and relentless in advancing our University on all fronts.  Godspeed to each of you. 

In the spirit of the Pack, 

(her signature)

Debbie Yow
NC State AD, 2010-2019

https://gopack.com/news/2019/4/22/general-the-promise-of-the-pack-success-and-moving-forward-to-meet-our-full-potential.aspx

Comments

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,342

Regardless of how GOTT's CA$H saga plays out, I am exceedingly happy that she has been our AD. We have "debated" some things along the way. She always listens and considers many viewpoints

But, I have NEVER seen a high ranking executive respond as quickly and also with as much follow-up as Debbie has.

She obviously got off to a rocky start....but rose above it.

Our overall stature has increased and she has laid the foundation for continuing improvements in the major as well as the minor sports.

Thanks, Debbie.....enjoy your retirement...

• Aw shucks, was hoping she’d throw Gary Williams under the bus one more time just for a laugh

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 575

I think she’s clearly the best AD we have had since the 80s. Her main blemish was hiring Gott...that entire thing was a fiasco and she would have gotten away with it if he his staff weren’t dumber than a box of hammers about the cheating.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 738

She’s the best AD in my lifetime. I think almost every sport is better today than what she inherited. She did her job with obvious passion and from what I could tell worked very hard at it.

Gott will be the blemish/asterisk/stain (depending on one’s opinion). I suspect that’s part of the question about whether she’d have taken the job again.