Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2019 Carolina Hurricanes Playoffs Thread

Comments

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598

Would be a suicide move. My company's HQ was in Houston. When I retired in 2006, there was STILL a lot of animosity or "dislike" towards NCSU.

The folks DON'T FORGET....

• GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 647

Today's odds based on statistical data.

Make the 3rd round - 95.9% 

Make the finals - 52.4% 

Win the cup - 29.9% 

Sweep round 2 - 62.9%

Monday the talking heads were saying Boston would win the cup. Don't know about today.

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,288

Let’s keep it going. Great run.

OK,

Since I am a “southern boy” and don’t know nothing about checking, (I do KNOW hitting), icing and high sticking (in the hockey vernacular, not my younger days of trying to make some teenage drive-in movie highlight film), etc....I have a question.

I watched the second goal off the Islander’s power play, where the Canes guy did a chip shot to center ice and Williams (I think) fielded it like an outfielder and then did a one-on-one shootout with the Islander goalie and SCOOOOORRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDD.

NOW, was that a set play? Was that an impromptu interaction? Did Brind’Amour devise it or call it? It were cool....just like some background from the experts....

Thanks.

• RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee

I think you are talking about Faulk's goal where he grabbed it out of the air. That was a phenomenally athletic play btw.

When a payer first comes out of the penalty box he is usually not guarded so teams will try to get him the puck for a break away. I don't think it is a set play per se as much as just a normal thing to do.

It's also why you will hear the goalie of the team on the power play hit his stick on the ice so they know the player is about to get on the ice.

So it was Faulk. My apologies to him. But, was it just instinct....or did they practice that?

Thanks

• YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 458

Just the way it works at the end of a power play. That's the second one I've seen this year during the playoffs. And if you're really lucky and have a player near the blue line headed up ice at the same time then worst case it will probably be a two on one. if it's a two break away then the goalie is toast 98% of the time.

Bottom line.....getting the puck to Faulk was the idea....if he was alone or near center ice as there were not other Islanders to help the goalie....and I agree that in the case of a single player (ala Shoot Out), the odds highly favor the attacker or shooter....and not the Goalie.....especially since Faulk was getting up a full head of steam.

SO, Faulk treated it like an "impromptu" shoot out". The chip shot or airborn puck was just "one of those things" and Faulk's athleticism or reflexes kicked in and he fielded the puck....popped it down on the ice....where he was legally able to "Get in Shoot Out Mode".....then the rest is history as the Goalie did not have a wing man.

I think that is what happened and now understand it a little better. As always, if my interpretation is incorrect.....feel free to post and correct.

Was one more HECK of a play....and apparently legal in Hockey....

Thanks,

• GowolvesGowolves Posts: 284
    edited May 2

I have seen that play a few times. It’s a self awareness play. It rarely happens. The players do look for it if they can gain possession right as the penalty expires. A bit of luck is obviously needed. If the team who has the PP is sucked in and pressuring the puck the player darts out and hopes they see him streaking

IMO The best play the sequence was made by the Cane who realized Faulk was coming out of the box AND lifted a very difficult and perfect pass to Faulk.

The natural thing to do would be to clear the puck out of his zone but to be aware of the entire on ice situation, lift the pass over the defenders with perfect pace to Faulk was an athletic play that nearly goes unnoticed due to the scoring of the goal by Faulk.

Faulk has been playing hockey for 20 years or more. The catch was routine for him. Putting the puck in the net was not. Faulk only rarely has this opportunity and goalies make this type stop about 2 out of 3 times. (A Columbus player just missed a penalty shot as I write this.)

Good pass. Good catch. Good shot. Good Goal. Other than that, routine. 😁

Interested in predictions based on statistics? This is an interesting site.

http://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

Tonight we close it out. Go Canes!

No chatter. Really?

4-1 after 2

Hey Ref, Check your voice mail. I think you missed some calls.

edited May 4

I am going to Lowes and Home Depot and buy up all the brooms. Going to spray them RED and run off some Canes Logos. Will make a fortune in the PNC parking lot later tonight.

Obviously the "southerns" done took to HOCKEY.

All we need is a modern day Andy Griffin to do a "What it was....was HOCKEY". That would be a hoot....

Them boys in short pants and runners on their feet moving around carrying what looks like an old sling blade that got beat up.....

Ain't never seen such fightin' and gougin' and ONE guy got put in a glass cage for "High Stickin'....whatever that is. The boy he stuck was not happy and took a haymaker swing at him....

Surely SOMEONE has done one of these...

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,777PFN Referee

go canes! sorry for the link troubles I may end up switching back to old editor

• 13OT13OT Posts: 57

We are not worthy to be playing in the PNC.

Roddy said tonight in post game presser that the Canes started out in September playing the style that was best suited for this team to win. When they sank to the bottom of the league, they still believed that and stayed the course.

What we are seeing now is the Canes after 95 games playing the style that best suits them. 95 games with the same players -- all buying in to the coaches plan. The players, coaches, trainers, equipment guys, management and owner are on the same page of the same book.

These guys getting on the same page and all believing in what the coaches are saying is truly phenomenal IMO. The results are phenomenal as well.

Roddy having his sweater hanging in the rafters of the PNC can't hurt. 2 leaders on the team together sporting 5 Stanley Cups don't hurt either. 😉

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! Would rather the the blue jackets cause we'd have home ice.

• RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee

Great game.

The crowd was again insane. This team is a blast to watch. I have always said teams take on the personality of their coaches. This is a Rod team.

The announcers were talking about Rod and his time at the Flyers. He's had a pretty impressive career all around. One thing is for sure, the team respects him and plays hard for him. The second period last night is evidence of it. They completely broke the will of the Isles with those two goals almost back to back. When they pulled their 1st string goalie I knew it was over.

The one thing that has impressed me the most is their almost complete control of the middle of the ice. If you can't get up the middle taking the sides all the time is the long way around and eventually it takes it's toll. Also the majority of goals tend to originate up the middle.

Trite, but maybe close comparison....

What does Rod and JTV have in common? Both are coaching a season that will (might) be remembered for all times. Neither got any regular season recognition.

The Canes seem to be a little more "subdued" and focused. YES, they celebrate, but they also realize that there is a LONG road ahead of them.

Totally agree that this is an amazing thing to watch. Gonna be interesting to see if the regular Goalie is cleared....will Rod go with the first level on the depth chart or stay the course with McElhinny (sp?)?

I really doubted (not willing to wager though) that they would do the fourth game sweep. But, I did tell DW that if the Islanders did NOT dominate in the first period and get at least a 1 goal lead that they would....assuming some freak event or injury did not occur.

The fact that that "Broke the ICE" on their ninth (?) power play and returned the favor was, to me, the MOJO Shifter. From that point, they had the mental edge and the looming "We GOT SKUNKED" thoughts were residing in the Islander's heads.

Also fascinating.....ALL the Wild Cards ADVANCED....However, the Canes have pulled off (thus far) the ONLY Sweep of a series.

They certainly NEED the rest....but I think that Rod will make sure that they stay focused and mentally alert. Heck of a job....

Did I hear correctly that Justin Williams was the ONLY 2006 Canes Stanley Cup player on the squad? That boy is a bit on the ancient side now....just kidding....he is 38 YO. Here is a reference to the 2005-6 team. Look at the stats....

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CAR/2006.html