Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2019 Carolina Hurricanes Playoffs Thread

Comments

• RickRick Posts: 1,315PFN Referee

T what a game.

I cannot wait for tickets to the next round. Gonna get crazy

• GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 441

McGinn had the game winner off an assist by Williams.

• YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 420

I couldn't stay up and watch but I felt when they tied it up in the 3rd and held the tie through 12 minutes to the end of regulation that they had a chance. WOW! The way those guys played since the middle of January and now in this series against the Caps, they could win it all again. Wouldn't that be something!!!

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,529PFN Referee

wow can't believe we took game 7!

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,465

Troll, look at the above. Don’t know how it will display. Instead of the usual “double” quoted text, the first or original comment is a hyperlink....or so it shows on my iPad.

Yogi and Grey....I know less about hockey than I do about Crickett. However, the color commentators kept making the point that the Caps were not playing well and that they should have put the Canes away much earlier. I did watch the entire game. Had just settled down with a bowl of pineapple sherbet when... BOOM....it be over. Had also started to record it.

2 questions

Did “Hamilton the REAL pig” get into the Caps arena? The crowd was OK, but not near the volume or excitement as the series tying PNC game.

The winning goal was not, again to me the uneducated, a particularly text book shot or goal. Sort of a luck “tip in”. I know that Williams made the pass and that was not a “Whitt” shot. McGinn just sort of reacted and it was almost like a reflex rather than a planned shot or play.

NOW that was my observation. Would appreciate some color comments and such.

Already had plans for Friday night in Concord at the ZMaXX “nighttime” LIGHT ‘EM UP NHRA event with friend and GS. You guys will have to carry the load...

Hockey seems to have the most "chance" goals. I don't call them luck because the team that is playing the hardest tends to get them. The Canes were by far the more aggressive team in OT. The caps looked exhausted. The Canes kept the puck in their end and kept hammering away. Their goalie was playing great but eventually you get one to go on.

By definition hockey is not a game of high definition accuracy per se. Not to say those guys aren't highly skilled because they could probably do more with the butt end of the stick than I could with the blade end. Hit a 3 inch round 1 inch thick galvanized rubber object over 100 mph with curvature and end over end and a 1 inch deviation is the difference between a doink and a SCOREEEEEEEEEEEE! Sometimes that little object just ends up in the right place at the right time. I cannot begin to count the times I've seen a goal pushed in by the goalie, or it hits the crossbar and bounces of the goalie or a skate or a stick and in it goes.

Last night there was one point where the same guy that scored that game winner stopped a trickling puck that had bounced around behind that goalie. In essence McGinn was responsible for two points. One a score, one a stop just before it would have been a go ahead score. He came up REALLY big.

I'd say that at the NHL level almost half the time goals are not the result of a dead on shot but some type of rebound/deflection/redirection/LUCK.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,465

McGinn should have been first in line for the ice cream and the MVP. That goal, that he saved by doing the “throw yourself on the grenade was unbelievable. Yes, the commentators talked about the conditioning of the Canes vs Caps.

luck and determination prevailed....

edited April 25

Troll, look at the above. Don’t know how it will display. Instead of the usual “double” quoted text, the first or original comment is a hyperlink....or so it shows on my iPad.

Yes that is an issue I have brought up with the forum software developer. No word yet from them if that's "working as designed" with this new editor yet.

• MikePack89MikePack89 Posts: 96

I never played hockey but have followed for a long time and excited to see the Canes come. My son-in-law however has played a good bit and has enlightened me to a lot.

A good majority of goals are tips, deflections, and “dirty goals” in front on rebounds. Goalies at the NHL level are too good to get it past on a regular basis on a regular shot, no matter how hard. But when a luck traveling maybe 100 MPH gets deflected or tipped in front of the goal, the change of direction at that speed is unstoppable and now becomes luck. Luck that the goalie somehow gets in the way or luck that the deflection finds a hole. SIL says the purpose of the shot is not to sneak past the goalie but to create a tip (or rebound) and that teams practice tipping at the net.

McGinn gets credit for the goal that he tipped from Williams initial shot. Happy we won but win or lose if you were not a hockey fan before that game there is no way you will be. That game was intense and one of the most exciting i have ever seen.

• GowolvesGowolves Posts: 284

I’m hearing rumors that Dundon wants to move the team to Houston. Damn that would be a shame. Bettman was here for game four with his right hand man. They showed a picture of him looking around the arena when the place was going absolutely bonkers. I hope Dundon doesn’t pull this crap. He’s only been the owner for a few months and already hearing rumors about his personality and his desire to move the team.

Just look what he did to the defunct pro football league. He is ruthless and will lie his ass off.

Go here (Canes website) and you can find video of McGinn's winner. (and others)

Pesce feed the puck to an open space by the opposite boards. Williams skated over, turned and fired the puck across the goal mouth. Before he shot it, McGinn read the possibilities and hustled into position. He held off the defender on him with his back while positioning his blade to deflect the puck into the net.

Pesce's pass was perfectly paced and angled to be where it would be the most use to Williams.

Williams turned and shot/passed the puck through a 6" opening. Too much one way and the goalie stops it. Too much the other and the defender stops it.

McGinn didn't tip the 75+ mph puck, he redirected it almost 90 degrees into the goal. No luck to it. Hand/eye coordination off the charts.

These guys can lift a puck off the ice with their stick blade, toss it up and catch it with their stick any number of times. There is a whole resume of unbelievable skills these guys have.

Once Bobby Orr was challenged by a punk goalie to score on him. Orr went out to the blue line with some pucks; picked the puck up off the ice with his stick; with his back to the goal tossed the puck up; turned and hit it baseball style with the blade of his stick; the puck passed the goalie into the net. He did this 3 times before the goalie said that's it, Mr. Orr. I'm done. Orr was in a suit with street shoes on. IIRC he did take his coat off. I saw this on video made before photoshop or whatever the video version is called.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 642

It’s funny, since I wasn’t in Raleigh during the Canes runs, I casually follow them. I don’t see their success as necessarily good for NC State. If anything, it establishes the PNC/RBC/ESA as the home of the hurricanes, also a place where a local college plays (especially when our non-big game atmosphere is compared to the playoff atmosphere.)

Better than State having to foot the bill all alone for the PNC.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 263

Not really a hockey fan, I just follow the threads! Chop, the solution is to have N.C. State get good enough to make it to the NHL playoffs!

I am going to games 3 & 4.

The solution is to have a championship caliber program. I just don't see how the Canes harm NCSU in any way shape or form.

Just wanted to add I think this area and State fans in particular are starving for someone to really get behind.

1-0 OT Canes

canes came to play

That was quite an effort considering the Canes played in essence 1 and a half intense games 2 days ago.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 642

Pretty impressive. Lots of heart out there.

SCOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

This bunch of jerks are fun to watch!

Adventuroo

You ask, "Yogi and Grey....I know less about hockey than I do about Crickett. However, the color commentators kept making the point that the Caps were not playing well and that they should have put the Canes away much earlier."

Their bias for the Caps continuing may have been showing. That game was the most watched game 7 in cable TV history. Those numbers weren't caused by the Canes being on TV.

The commentators weren't saying the Caps weren't playing well when they scored twice in the first 5 minutes of the first period. The Canes coach and captain settled the team down between periods. In the second period the Canes began to play their game and by the middle of the third period they were all over the Caps. As the Caps goalie, Holtby, said, "They just kept on coming."

The commentators were right, the Caps should have put the Canes away much earlier IF they expected to win, because they sure as hell didn't have what it took to play them in the last half of the 3rd period and both OTs. The Canes out shot the Caps something like 16 to 6 in OT.

I have never seem a game turn so completely and so noticeably.

The coach said he was concerned that the Caps were going to score some strange goal even with being dominated. And it almost happened. Ovie had a one-timer right in front of the goal that hit Mazrek in the mask. Ovie just hung his hands and looked up at the ceiling. That should have been the end.

Yogi,

Have you seen anybody you thought we can't beat? I haven't. Washington was the nearest I saw. Unbelievable. This Bunch of Jerks may not do it but they have a chance to write the most amazing come-back story in sports history. 10 years without getting in the play-offs to... I ain't going to say it.

My wife told me about a tweet she saw right after game 7. "Don Cherry is leaving the building." Now that's funny.

Grey, in the east Met division the Islanders were the second ranked team only 1 point behind the caps. The coach of the Isles was the Caps coach last year. If the Canes can get by them then it could get really interesting. Lot's of the higher ranked teams are already gone. San Jose in the west could come out of that bracket but the way the 1st round went who the heck knows. The favorites did not win. All of the wild cards advanced and the Blues beat the 2 seed.

I thought the Canes were most likely to not get by the Caps. I went to bed thinking I'd wake up and read that they had lost. The outcome though made me jubilant. Two things are in play though, the Canes were the 3rd best team since the middle of Jan and if the Blue Jackets take out boston then who knows. The one thing I do know is that Brind'Amour knows what going through a long run is all about. If anyone can prepare them for that run it's him. And so far he really looks like he is up to the task. I know this, I won't go to sleep on them any more.