Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2020 football recruit class rank - so far

Comments

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 706PFN Referee

NC State WR commit Nate McCollum – McCollum was unranked and unevaluated prior to his commitment to the Wolfpack. When we turned on the film for an evaluation it quickly popped. He’s an explosive, one-cut runner with the ball in his hands and he has incredible big-play potential evidence by 764 yards receiving on only 22 catches last season. That equates to a ridiculous 34 yards per catch. While we haven’t had much of an opportunity for in-person evaluations, McCollum gives us added confidence for a big initial rankings debut because of his background in baseball and his 6.33 60-yard dash time, a 99th-percentile number. We still need to validate size, ball skills and route-running ability with some in person evaluations but his explosiveness, special teams value and versatility all look unique.

The move: From unranked to a four-star outside the Top247 with a 90 rating, McCollum has an opportunity to climb even higher as we learn more about him and get live evaluations.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-2020-recruiting-rankings-247Sports-131145611/

• RickRick Posts: 1,259PFN Referee
    DD does seem to be recruiting well.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 175
    I hate unc
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,484PFN Referee
    edited April 16
    Yeah buddy!  Recruiting momentum still on the uptick.  Slow build still seems to be in progress which would indicate we ain't seen the DD ceiling yet.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 738
    I like where recruiting and player development are in football.  There are in game issues that I wish we'd improve upon (play calling, clock management, defensive scheme), but I like how we're running the program.
  • 13OT13OT Posts: 49
    Sorry, but can’t say I like how this program is being run year after year. If we were going to raise this program to another level, I think we would have seen it by now. 1979 continues to slip into the past. Just getting to a bowl seems to be the goal these days.

Good luck with finishing above third place in the division.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,075PFN Referee
    Like I've said many a time - NC State is a middling-at-best program (in terms of natural advantages) in the worst power conference.  Succeeding at the Dick Sheridan level is nothing to shit upon.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 62
    I tend to lean optimistic but do agree some with 13OT and BJD.  However, I would like to point out that three BCS/CFP champions out of the last six were from the ACC (Clemson 2018, 2016 and Florida State 2013).  In the past two years State has finished 3rd (2018) and 2nd (2017) in the stronger of the two ACC divisions.  So, we might be middling-at-best but maybe the curve is upward (will admit that curve has a bit of a squiggly horizontal slope at the moment).  Of course, I would like to see an ACC champion sooner than later since 1979/80 was my freshman year at State.
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 323
    BJD, I think "middling" is a tad harsh, but that's based upon my perception of the word perhaps.  By definition, it's a fair take.  However, by definition there are plenty of teams that aren't even that. ;)

I like the foundation we've built.  I don't see that necessarily ever elevating us with the big boys.  Then again, I'm not on board with having to continually pay to keep with the Clemsons of the world.
  • 13OT13OT Posts: 49
    Who’s keeping up with the Clemsons of the world, or the Blues in the basketball world? No sign of that animal anywhere in these parts; it’s been extinct now longer than most of the posters here have been around.

If someone up in the crow’s nest makes any such sighting, please let the rest of us know. Meanwhile, I’ll return to my hibernation chamber for 6 more years of winter.
    Clemson is able to "rise above" ACC status...because IPTAY.  I don't think we have the stomach - or the savvy - to play at that game.

I would posit that the ACC has pretty effectively dragged FSU down into the muck.
  • RickRick Posts: 1,259PFN Referee
    edited April 17

Major college sports is basically an oligopoly. There are a handful of teams that actually have a chance to win a title. And outside of a game changing hire (see Bennet,Tony) that will not change. Too much money involved. It's why I do not really care to watch it.

It's why I have come to accept the "win 9 games and make the NCAA tournament" mentality. It's better than sucking and I no longer think we can do better.

13OT said:
    Sorry, but can’t say I like how this program is being run year after year. If we were going to raise this program to another level, I think we would have seen it by now. 1979 continues to slip into the past. Just getting to a bowl seems to be the goal these days.

Good luck with finishing above third place in the division.
    EXACTLY, I SAY I SAY...EXACTLY.  I know Mack Brown and the waves he creates but when I see UNC's class is ranked higher than ours after years of suck I begin to get a little sick.  Forget the fact we likely will NEVER finish higher than third in the division, you boys have likely seen the end of us "dominating" in state recruits.
    edited April 17
    Granted it's early in the 2020 cycle, but for the Pack to be floating in the top #15 of recruiting rankings for the first time since perhaps the Amato years and coming off back to back 9 win seasons with lesser recruiting classes and then to have some fans to be apathetic and/or cynical is pretty astounding to me.

At this point in the process I'm thrilled with where the program is at and where it's heading.
    I am happy with the program even though I comment like a little b*tch.  Happy though hides itself as complacent which isn't necessarily a good thing.
    lol I too sometimes comment like a little bitch!

Also, I'm not even saying that DD is definitely going to turn the recruiting classes into championships, but I think our chances to achieve that goal within the next 3-4 years should be greater than any we've had in decades (maybe with exception of Rivers upperclassman years).
  • GowolvesGowolves Posts: 255
    Granted it's early in the 2020 cycle, but for the Pack to be floating in the top #15 of recruiting rankings for the first time since perhaps the Amato years and coming off back to back 9 win seasons with lesser recruiting classes and then to have some fans to be apathetic and/or cynical is pretty astounding to me.

At this point in the process I'm thrilled with where the program is at and where it's heading.
    I second this statement. 
    I would GUESS that a lot of the sharks have some combination of (i) not being sure how many scholarships they have; and/or (ii) waiting on really big fish (that tend to sign later).  Makes me think will almost surely still end up in 25-30 range, which is still quite good.  And in turn with my earlier comment, constitutes punching above our weight.
    Yeah I agree with that, it may be that it's too soon to start thumping our chests about a having a top #15 recruiting class.
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 323
    Yeah I agree with that, it may be that it's too soon to start thumping our chests about a having a top #15 recruiting class.
    Kinda of like our mid-season rankings before we play Clemson, Syracuse, Wake. ?
  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 395
    I wouldn't put Syracuse and Wake in the same sentence  with Clemson.  ;)

edited April 19
    Greywolf sighting!  Now where has CowDog been????
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 575
    Bjd- that’s all true, but the early signing day has changed that some. We lost - what 2 guys with significant coaching changes impacting both. DD has his weaknesses, but he has a real strength in identifying undervalued talent and then developing it. That’s real important at a school like NC State who won’t get a lot of 4 and 5 star guys from the big boys.

Gotta like our current trajectory and the overall trend of the football program.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,254
    We shall see how he does without Drink and Finley. I don’t think anyone expects us to ride Hux’s defense to 8 wins. You do notice that the coach who is chugging Metamucil and who hasn’t recruited anybody in 6-7 years is pulling a higher ranked class than DD. That should cause everyone to realize just how shaky DD’s position on the recruiting trail is. 
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 248PFN Referee
    Football recruiting rankings in April are worth as much as basketball team rankings in Dec.   in other words, nearly worthless.