Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Tiger

Well, guess he’s back. Incredible story. 

Comments

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 323
    It was nice to see someone rise back up to the mountain top of their sport like that.  

Cue the overly melodramatic ESPN stories.

At this point, I'm more curious to see how things pan out with other players and their reactions when ESPN and thet general media coverage panders solely to Tiger and it is becomes beyond  unwarranted.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,235
    When you’ve had to undergo back surgery to get back to the point of walking and being able to shave and brush your teeth pain free you have a different level of respect for what one Eldrick Woods did today. Incredible. 
  • GowolvesGowolves Posts: 226
    Texpack said:
    When you’ve had to undergo back surgery to get back to the point of walking and being able to shave and brush your teeth pain free you have a different level of respect for what one Eldrick Woods did today. Incredible. 
    Agree. 
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 877
    Wow:
    • Tiger and Jack are the only players in history to win professional majors 20+ years apart and the only players in history to win the Masters in three different decades. 
  • 13OT13OT Posts: 42
    Nothing personal against Tiger but I agree that this may open the floodgates for “All Tiger, All The Time” media coverage once again.

Maybe it’ll be good for golf, but I doubt many of the other golfers will like it much.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 546
    It was really incredible what happened today. It wasn’t that long ago when even Tiger himself wasn’t sure he’d play a meaningful round of golf again. The scene between he and his son was priceless. 

But today also gave you an insight into why he’s so good. 2/3’s of it is mental.
    edited April 15
    13OT said:
    Nothing personal against Tiger but I agree that this may open the floodgates for “All Tiger, All The Time” media coverage once again.

Maybe it’ll be good for golf, but I doubt many of the other golfers will like it much.
    Which golfers are you referring to? The others on tour or your average Joe golfer? The average Joe golfer will like it. The tour players? Who cares what they like and don’t like.  

Maybe it will be all Tiger because he is one of the best all time. He is Jordan of golf. He is Tom Brady of golf. No other way to put it. 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 697
    Hell of a tournament by Tiger.  I honestly didn’t think he’d win another Major in large part due to the mental game.  I figured he would win tournaments but not be able to close out a Major with the world’s best breathing down his neck.  His short game has just been too shaky and the wheels fall off the track in ways they didn’t 15 years ago.

Tip of the cap to Tiger.  To come this far back from all the injuries, off the course issues, swing and short game problems is just amazing.

The media will run with this a while, but Tiger would have to return to dominant form for the frenzy to be anything like it once was.  I just don’t see that happening.

Agree with Rye. And just look at how many really good young players are out there that can win any given major? Golf is is great shape. Who knows if Tiger will get another one - only time will tell. But it is good to see him compete at a high level again considering the hell he went through mentally and physically. The moments he had with his kids after the win was touching - it had never occurred to me they hadn’t seen him win. 
  • YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 379
    Here's something you probably don't know.  15 years ago Tiger was buff, really muscular and carried quite a few extra pounds more than he weighed in 1997 when he first won the Masters.  He did that because that's what the rest of the guys were doing.  And it did him in.  Most of his injuries were due to him pushing his body past it's frame's ability to absorb the stress.  
    Two years after surgery that would have ended most players ability to recover he now avoids the heavy lifting and 30 - 50 miles a week running.  Instead he's swimming for the endurance AND for range of motion and core strength.  He's lost over 40 lbs in the process and no longer sports bi's and tri's and pecs and six pack abs.  And amazingly enough his club head speed is the highest measured this season (130 mph).  He has discovered that range of motion, core strength, speed of motion make a larger difference to achieving high club head speed than raw, brute force.  I'd read all this about a month ago but had not had a chance to watch him play since his return.  Yesterday his drives and fairway shots went just as far as they always did.  The difference I saw was his almost laser accuracy was back. 
    The overriding factor from my point of view though was his mental toughness.  Jack Nicklaus had it.  No one can dispute Tiger's mental toughness.  Down the stretch yesterday a lot of those in contention faded or just plain lost it.  Molinari and Fanau were playing alongside Tiger.  My bet is Molinari thought he really needed to "go for it" on 12.  Into the drink and he never recovered.  Finau blew it too.  Tiger played smart on 12, and he played well, and he took a share of the lead.  The pinpoint placement of his tee shot on 16 sealed it.  Some of the most incredible shots I've ever seen have come from Tiger at Augusta through the years.  Yesterday was really fun to watch, and I've been watching golf since Jack and Arnie were battling at the Masters.  Yesterday was every bit as good as those battles.  Whether you like Tiger or not, if you love golf there is no way you can diminish what he has done for the game.  Most of those young bucks that are successful today are because they wanted to be "like Tiger".  
    Yogi, if you actually read his back ground some his injuries (the back specifically and maybe the knee) occurred when he went on practice training missions with military members. It was special forces and or navy seals. It was never the work outs. There are people in the know that thought he really wanted to do the things his dad did and get away from golf. Tiger to my knowledge has never confirmed that. 

People counted him out (myself included) so for me to sit here now and say he won’t win another major would not be prudent. 
    13OT said:

It will only last until Zion gets drafted
    Yogi I think the Sean Foley swing wrecked his back.  Just put way too much stress on it and it failed as a result.
  • skitchwolfskitchwolf Posts: 10
    I'll just chime in to say that I found Tiger's victory truly touching.  Admittedly, the Masters thing is always milked for all the emotion possible every year and I'm sure that it is special for everyone who dons the Green Jacket.  But yesterday, seeing Tiger joyously embrace his children (and just about anyone else who would let him, it seemed), I think I saw a man who finally understands the depth of what he has - and not just in golf.  In his early years, he seemed to take it for granted that he would dominate and win because of his innate talent, hard work, and mental toughness (all of which were admirable).  However, that attitude seemed to make him aloof and entitled - thus his personal and marital problems, methinks.  But he now seems to understand how fleeting all that can be and it would also appear that he finally understands that lots of folks have a part in it (including the fans).  Consequently, he has opened up emotionally to share it and be thankful that he can enjoy it today.  I know I certainly enjoyed watching him.  
    I'll just chime in to say that I found Tiger's victory truly touching.  Admittedly, the Masters thing is always milked for all the emotion possible every year and I'm sure that it is special for everyone who dons the Green Jacket.  But yesterday, seeing Tiger joyously embrace his children (and just about anyone else who would let him, it seemed), I think I saw a man who finally understands the depth of what he has - and not just in golf.  In his early years, he seemed to take it for granted that he would dominate and win because of his innate talent, hard work, and mental toughness (all of which were admirable).  However, that attitude seemed to make him aloof and entitled - thus his personal and marital problems, methinks.  But he now seems to understand how fleeting all that can be and it would also appear that he finally understands that lots of folks have a part in it (including the fans).  Consequently, he has opened up emotionally to share it and be thankful that he can enjoy it today.  I know I certainly enjoyed watching him.  
    Totally agree. He knows he messed up - badly. For him to get back to this circle at this stage considering all he has been through - wow. And to be able to share it with his kids. 

I honestly have no idea if he’ll get another one. Don’t really care to be honest - yesterday was enough for me. He’s certainly likely/going to be in contention, but we know it can all go so quickly. 
  • RickRick Posts: 1,228PFN Referee

Tiger was/is a scum bag. He is a great golfer, no doubt but its too bad he is morally bankrupt.

Rick, I'll accept "was" in your statement, that is without a doubt true.  However, neither you, or I, nor anyone else knows that to be a fact today.  To judge him today, without evidence, I don't think anyone can do.  You can view him with a skeptical eye but I think he deserves a chance to recover from past mistakes.  To hear him speak of all he has been through I'm pretty sure he understands he's been given a gift. 

One thing about his transgressions is they only affected specific people, not me.  There are times I am challenged to forgive those who I feel have personally wronged me.  If I decide to include the rest of the world who haven't directly affected me then I'd go nuts.  Just sayin'.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,286
    Yogi and Rick,

Interesting discussion.  I probably watched more Pro Golf (awake....not as a Sunday afternoon alternative to Sominex) when Tiger was playing.  I also watched a lot of Pro BB when Stephen Curry was lighting up the game.  They were two Afro Athletes that were good role models and really brought some greatness to their sports....especially since the majority of their brethren were "yucking it up".

Then Tiger's addiction and escapades came out.  BINGO...if you looked at the demographics....PRO GOLF really suffered.  The other folks could not bring it back.

Same for Curry.  He and his coach and others decided that making baskets and winning games had suddenly anointed them as the social and political watchdogs of the century.  

I backed off both.....  I DID follow Tiger's exploits yesterday (and earlier in the week).  I share Yogi's upbeat attitude that Tiger has tamed his demons.

I also feel a bit of kindredship to Tiger.  I have reached a plateau in my recovery.  I can walk for reasonable distances taking short steps.  But long distances require a balance point....a cane.  The cane could be "calibrated" so that it only required 15 or so pounds of pressure.  Just enough to provide an offset to my weaker left leg. 

I have been pretty diligent in my recovery PT.  IF I walk a lot or really "exercise", I exhaust the specific muscles in the left leg and hip that need to be strengthened to get me "over the hump" and allow full weight on the left leg.  SO, my PT duo has decided to "ratchet it up" for the next 6 weeks.  A rigorous every other day Gymn routine coupled with every other day "home PT (Pain and Torture).  I DO get a day off each week.

SO, I understand how much mental dedication it takes to come back from a devistating injury.  Tiger's inability to do simply things like walk without pain is something that I can relate to.

I sincerely HOPE that all the time Tiger was "toughing it out" doing his "sets" that he was channeling his physical pain towards exorcising the issues that started him down the road to destruction.

Only TIME will tell....
  • RickRick Posts: 1,228PFN Referee

Yogi,

As a general rule, poon hounds don't change their spots (see Gottfried, Mark). Could he have changed? Sure. I am just not a fan of kids looking up to people with no morals. Of course that includes the bulk of the athletic world it seems.

Like I said he is a great golfer and I hold no personal animosity towards him. I just do not get the adulation him.

BTW I bet the problems his kids have due to having him as a father far out weight the joy of watching him win a golf match.

Rick, EVERY man has poon hound in him.  It is who we are (testosterone and all).  The only difference is some manage it better than others, but in our hearts and minds we are all poon hounds.  I didn't claim he had found moral high ground, that is a tall mountain for every one of us.  I just stated that it isn't up to me to throw rocks. The difference between me and any other man being morally bankrupt is a penny here and a penny there.  That's my two cents worth.  Stray once even in your mind.
    I’m at least hopeful that Tiger has his behavior under control. What he did before was scummy, no question. If the NAACP can give George Wallace a second chance, we’ll i can do the same for Tiger. 
    I’m a sports fan. Period. I don’t watch/refrain from watching due to my perceived morality of the performers. If I did that, I’m sure I’d be sorely disappointed time after time if I had a window into really knowing.
  • turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 20
    Tiger is more Faithful (on a percentage basis) than anyone:

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 697
    Wulfpack said:
    I’m a sports fan. Period. I don’t watch/refrain from watching due to my perceived morality of the performers. If I did that, I’m sure I’d be sorely disappointed time after time if I had a window into really knowing.
    Pretty much this.  If one had to pull for only morally great humans at a sporting event, there would be no teams to pull for.  

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.  I personally don’t care if he banged 1000 women.  There’s a huge difference between something like killing someone, or raping someone and what two consenting adults do in a bed.

I apply the same logic to Gott.  The tail chasing only mattered to me if it meant he were in some way shirking the duties of his job role.  My dislike for Gott is how he ran his program, this hurting ours.
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 323
    Interesting conversation.  

Tiger went from one extreme to the other, and now back again from performance and perhaps a perception standpoint.  

I try to not get so wound up about sports.anymore because it's made up of imperfect people and the results might be nice, but are quite meaningless to my life in the long-term.

Enjoyed watching him overcome things and have been hoping for him to do so the past 2 years (think DUI 2 years ago).  Glad he did it and for his children's sake, I hope the old Dad doesn't come back.