Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

A STRAY RAY OF HOPE - BASKETBALL - THOMAS ALLEN COMING HOME

The prodigal doth return....eventually.

Garner’s Thomas Allen to join NC State basketball as transfer
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article228914029.html

Comments

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 270
    An appeal is coming but per tos he probably sits a year and plays 2 unless he’s Lacey 2.0.  TA likes to shoot the 3 ball so others can penetrate. Laugh or cry? Mixed reviews.  Former decommitt.  8.7 ppg per 30 minutes.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 976
    High minutes relatively low production at Nebraska. 
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 204
    Wulfpack said:
    High minutes relatively low production at Nebraska. 
    Sounds like almost every other transfer
  • Beggars can't be choosers.
  • 13OT13OT Posts: 52
    Oh great, another transfer.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 642
    I am not going to knock guys who want to be here. I think he will be a good addition. Good shooter, good defender.
    choppack1 said:
    I am not going to knock guys who want to be here. I think he will be a good addition. Good shooter, good defender.
    I actually didn’t knock him - just stated the facts. He could certainly go on to be a great addition for us. Just saying he wasn’t very productive for a bad team. 
    Wulfpack - I wasn’t particularly calling you out, but since you brought it up....You just stated the facts. Undoubtedly, there are facts about you, that if when you were introduced to someone else, that’s the first thing they said about you, you would either think that person who said them was a jerk or had a personality disorder.

I wonder what you would think if you called that person out and they said, “I am just stating facts.” 

Going beyond that - I see a player who improved in almost every category from year 1 to year 2. If he sits out a year, we could see a significant jump in production. He’ also a 4 star recruit on a roster without a lot of them. Those are facts too - you just chose the most negative ones.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,529PFN Referee
    We ain't winning no 'chips because we add transfers from Nebraska.  We need to get it going on the recruiting trail.
  • RickRick Posts: 1,315PFN Referee

I like the idea of transfers but I like the idea of developing four year players better. Who knows though as it seems the era of the 4 year player has passed.

Another reason men's college basketball has deteriorated. Hard to build an emotional connection to players that are in and out in a year or two.

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 752PFN Referee
    I don't know for sure but some of his scoring stats may be low because I think the team he played for is a slow down type of team. He seems like a decent three point shooter. If put on a team like the Pack which encourages threes and taking more shots then he may see an increase in scoring but this is just a guess on my part. 

We ain't winning no 'chips because we add transfers from Nebraska.  We need to get it going on the recruiting trail.
    No one said we were. But I would hope that we could all agree that for the last 15 years in Raleigh, talent has not been the problem. We have a problem with retention and development.

Like Rick has said below - part of the issue is just how frequently kids transfer these days. Part of the issue could be  as Rye has indicated - negative impacts from the Adidas scandal. Part of it could be Keatts trying to be selective with his 4 year scholarships. Part of it may be that no elite high school prospects want to play here any more.

He had had put together a nice class last year and it was gutted 1 day into the season. It’s going to be real interesting to see what kind of high school kids we land in the next 2-3 years.

But we need depth. Allen appears to be a solid defender and is a decent shooter. He hasn’t been a high usage guy, but Keatts may welcome that change for a team who struggled sharing the ball rhe second half of the year.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 831
    Chop’s right.  We don’t exactly know why.  What we do know is that it will not be a quick fix.

We seemingly have to be an incremental build.  It is going to have to be Tony Bennett or Buzz style where we get slightly better players year over year.   Eventually there is enough momentum to start getting those top level players who are system fits as well as high character.  There aren’t many of them, but they are out there.
    Rye - it also should be noted that Bennett is still taking decently rated guys and turning them into solid ball players. He’s the best “teacher” I have seen in a while. Such a nice contrast to what we see in Lexington, KY and Durham.

The college game needs this contrast. The guys who are building versus the guys who are in college for one semester on a “fun” tour before they start making their living. I am not knocking the ones and dones, it’s not their fault they are forced to participate in this charade in order to maximize their brand until the NBA says they are ready. 

I do do know who I am pulling for though. As someone who really respected Coach K, his embrace of the Calapari / Dean Smith kids who are seemingly only in college because they have to be disappoints me. 
  • oldwolfoldwolf Posts: 92
    Since this seems to be the recruiting thread - not heard about this - seems like it would be a good replacement for Sacha’s departure-

Derrik Smits has visits planned in the next 10 days to Arizona State and NC State and has already visited Butler. He will decide between those three by April 28. 
    Tweeted by Jim Reamer

• 44rules44rules Posts: 263
    Rebouonding stats look low for his size, but I like the idea of a 7-footer. Loved watching his Dad in the NBA. I'd have to check, but between him and the 6-7 potential transfer from Lehigh, I'd likely rather have the big guy. Another "stretch 5" like Yurtseven is appealing to me.
  • pakfanistanpakfanistan Posts: 99
    That is the most god awful mangled URL I have ever seen.
    edited April 14
    Chop:  I hear you on TB and player development.  He is “coaching them up” much like we are doing in football.  It remains to be seen whether that will happen with KK.  Some kids clearly look better.  Others do not.

I also agree with you on K.  I never liked him as much as most State fans.  The rise of Duke was paired with the downfall of State.  K hasn’t shed a tear over that reversal of fortune and most Duke fans have no understanding of the previous pecking order.  So while I’ve detested the rat for 20 years, I used to begrudgingly respect that program with the 3/4 year players who played hard nosed defense and shot lights out.  I have no respect for the current one and done factory they’re running.  K is a vane old man who cares about one thing — those wins.  It reminds me a bit of JoePa.

On topic, I like Smits and hope we land him.  We need some height who isn’t a stiff.  I find it odd that Valpo could have two seven footers and we barely have a guy over 6 ft 9.
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 224
    Pat Andree has comitted (from Corey Smith):

NC State has landed a commitment from Pat Andree -- one of its top grad transfer targets from Lehigh. He averaged nearly 13

points and shot 42 percent from behind the arc last year at 6-foot-8, 225 pounds. Full story coming soon.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,529PFN Referee
    Lehigh transfer coming to play in the ACC.   Guess  we will find out how that works out
    FYI Nate Sestina from Bucknell (Patriot League) is using his final year of eligibility at Kentucky. Good player. 
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 361
    Lehigh kid looks legit.  Make him wear a Lipscomb tee under his jersey and he will light it up at home at least.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,293
    edited April 18
    42% from 3. Play him along with Fundy and really stretch the floor
    That 42% is at very high volume.  We finally have a shooter.
  • RickRick Posts: 1,315PFN Referee
    I like this new transfer. I still am concerned we don't seem to be building by recruiting. Maybe that is a thing of the past but we seem to be doing our own "one and done" type system.