Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

New five-year contract for NC State football coach Dave Doeren

freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 723PFN Referee

For the second year in a row, N.C. State football coach Dave Doeren has a new contract.

The school announced on Tuesday that Doeren has agreed to a new five-year contract with a $250,000 raise. The new deal is worth $3.25 annually and runs through the 2023 season.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article228436989.html

Comments

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,111PFN Referee
    Is this something Boo signed off on? Or is our retiree trying to make sure her people are locked in? If the former, then cool. Latter, most annoying.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,509PFN Referee
    edited March 26
    I like it no matter who signed off on it.  I honestly feel like there's a better chance he continues his success and building the program than our chances at finding a replacement who would do better.  Not saying it would be impossible to take a step up in a coach, but I think the chances just aren't that great.

And if he does continue to build and be successful (again no guarantee here either) this will make it that much harder for another school to poach him away.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 959
    Agree with BJD. 
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,509PFN Referee
    I just feel like we finally got a young coach who is showing a pulse.. Might as well "go all in" on him.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 723PFN Referee
    I am interested to see what he will do with his recruits. 
  • RickRick Posts: 1,297PFN Referee
    Is this something Boo signed off on? Or is our retiree trying to make sure her people are locked in? If the former, then cool. Latter, most annoying.

Is anyone surprised? Debs biggest fault, besides Gott, is her contract management. We have gone all in on both our current coaches. Hopefully or pays off.

I hope she pays the two coaches who are really performing well. Baseball and woman's bb..

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 345
    BJD, isn't it the right move/contract or not, regardless of motive?

Nitpicking, but if Deb made a great decision for the wrong reason, I'm ok with it.  If she made a bad decision for the right reason, not so much.

That aside, I would hope Boo was at least heavily consulted before making this move.
    Don't know about the details of his old contract, buy seems this was more about restructuring.

What is key for me is buy out (for us and him).
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,415
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article209635379.html

I’m willing to lay a small wager that the base will increase, as the supplemental goes down, in the later years.

if you read the article, that is how is old deal was structured and also how HBBC KK’s contract is crafted
    BJD, isn't it the right move/contract or not, regardless of motive?

Nitpicking, but if Deb made a great decision for the wrong reason, I'm ok with it.  If she made a bad decision for the right reason, not so much.

That aside, I would hope Boo was at least heavily consulted before making this move.
    Yes, if she did the right thing for the wrong reasons, then it still worked out good for us. But we can't know that for awhile, and my strong preference is always not to tie the hands of a new CEO/COO. Seemed to me that he was already tied up long enough not to worry much about him being poached. And I'm still a little worried about the assistants we lost.
  • He needs to teach KK how to recruit imo.
    BJD, I'd be surprised if Boo didn't have sufficient input, but I agree it's a very bad call if he didn't.

Also, the key staff turnover hitting us in a single year is indeed quite worrisome.

I am quite interested in seeing what a new QB/OC can do as well.  I imagine with all of the changes, DD is extra focused on assembling all of the new pieces.

Fingers crossed.
    yep, we are aligned. There's concern, but not alarm.
  • 4in124in12 Posts: 124
    edited March 27
    I just asked my manager for a $250,000 raise. He laughed at me. 
    4in12 said:
    I just asked my manager for a $250,000 raise. He laughed at me. 
    Just file an EEOC charge and negotiate from there.  
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 622
    Yeah. I think DD’s hands were tied. Not sure if OL coach was ready to take over reigns and had to reward 2 staffers who have both demonstrated their loyalty and shown recruiting abilities.

Hux remains a head scratcher, but there’s something to be said for stability.
    So is Hux essentially the ol' ball and chain??? ?
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 959

If Swinney were to leave for another collegiate head-coaching position in the first two years of his deal, the buyout would be $4 million. But the buyout increases to $6 million if he were to leave for Alabama over the next two years. There is no buyout if he leaves for an NFL job.