Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

State a 2 Seed in the NIT - Game Threads Too!

WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 877
edited March 28 in Wolfpack Sports

Upper Left

No. 1 UNC Greensboro
No. 2 NC State
No. 3 Georgetown
No. 4 Davidson
No. 5 Lipscomb
No. 6 Harvard
No. 7 Hofstra
No. 8 Campbell

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/3/17/18266394/nit-bracket-2019-teams-revealed

Comments

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 877
    Rule changes for the NIT:

The rule changes

The NCAA likes to experiment with rule changes in the NIT, and this year they have made a few, though they are mostly slightly-modified versions of rules demoed in 2017 and 2018.

• The three-point line will be moved to be in line with FIBA standards
    • The free-throw lane will be widened from the current college basketball standard to the current NBA standard
    • After an offensive rebound, the shot clock will reset to 20 seconds instead of the NCAA standard of 30 seconds
    • Team foul counts reset to zero at the 10-minute mark of each half, effectively dividing the game into quarters for the purposes of determining bonus free throws
    • No more “one-and-ones”, as all bonus free-throw situations will result in two free throws for the non-fouled team
    • Teams will enter the bonus after the fifth team foul in each 10-minute segment
    • The team foul count will reset to zero at the start of overtime, and teams enter bonus with four team fouls in overtime
    • Finally, the NCAA will adopt the NBA’s bonus rule regarding team fouls in the final two minutes of any period. Teams enter bonus on the second team foul in the final two minutes of any 10-minute segment or overtime period, regardless of the total team foul count at that point of the period
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,052PFN Referee
    whew, we won't reprise one of my worst undergrad memories (losing to Campbell)
  • Tau837Tau837 Posts: 54
    What a fucking joke. We should have been in the NCAAT and don't even get a 1 seed in the NIT.
    Tau837 said:
    What a fucking joke. We should have been in the NCAAT and don't even get a 1 seed in the NIT.
    very clear shot across the bow - know your place and stay there
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 323
    I know it's the NIT, but trying out rule changes in a "championship" doesn't make much sense to me.  Then again, who's hosting this shindig.

Makes the whole thing feel even less significant. 
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,235
    I know it's the NIT, but trying out rule changes in a "championship" doesn't make much sense to me.  Then again, who's hosting this shindig.

Makes the whole thing feel even less significant. 
    No red white and blue ball this year though
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,286
    edited March 18
    The NCAA runs the NIT.  So, the NCAA Dance committee turned over their notes.  The NIT folks new the rankings for probably the 32 teams NOT included....it would be simple to the program for all D1 schools...and then you picked the 64 + the 4 playin teams.

Therefore, UNCG, Coached by a ORW protege, was # 69....and you go from there.

since we were not in the FFO, then we got a #2 seed spot.

Rule changes are always in the works.  The foul reset rule is the same as the women’s rules.

We are hosting....at the James T. Valvano Arena...NOT the PNC.  Where we go next...I THINK is based on the winner.  If the #1 & #2 teams both win, then we would go to Greensboro as UNCG is a #1 seed. The highest seed is the host and home team
  • PackPACPackPAC Posts: 212
    edited March 18
    Anybody got a line on tickets?  I assume they will be tight since it is played in Reynolds.  It's not the NCAA but it's still Wolfpack BBall, will consider going to show some support.  Maybe Wolfpack Club only?
    There was one year I went where we played in the NIT @ Reynolds, and there was genuine excitement to do so. Tickets were available for general sale then, and I have no doubt will be so again. Reduced capacity is the only way we MIGHT sell it out.
    WPC sent out an email last night.  You can call them.  They are the ONLY sales outlet.  Remember that the WPC is a "Ticket Venue" (think NCSU Ticketmaster).  The AD pays the WPC to do the ticket sales.  So, when you buy a ticket, the "admin" or Sales and Handling fees go to the WPC and that, in turn, goes into the Athletic Scholarship $$....which is the ONLY thing that the WPC, and it Donors, can give to NCSU.

The NCSU BOT and UNC BOG rewrote the bylaws or charter of the WPC in 1990 (See Jimmy V Witch Hunt threads) so that the WPC can NOT engage in any "supplemental salary" contracts with coaches.  

Of COURSE, the Rams Club never had that restriction put on it.....and it had NOTHING to do with the fact that the NC Legislature is dominated by UNC Law Grads and other Fat Cats.....who appoint the UNC BOG members....

NOW YOU KNOW - the REST of the story.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 157
    Tau837 said:
    How, why?  What's your argument for getting in?  A .500 record in the ACC with the best win being over a shitty Notre Dame team?  Did not beat one single team worth two shits..well maybe Miami...and lost to a horrid Wake Forest team and a garbage Georgia Tech squad at home.  Destroyed by UNC, destroyed by UVA, set a world record for lowest points in a college game..24 and a ridiculously weak non conference schedule.  Let's not forget the two games against ClemPson really should have turned out as losses as well.  This group made their beds, now they can go look up to the number one seed University of North Carolina at Greensboro for guidance.   
    We beat Aubie and Cuse. Still nothing to write home about with all the opportunities we had to post wins over good teams. And yea, we lost to GT and Wake. That is inexcusable. 
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,235
    If we win we would play the winner of Georgetown and somebody in Raleigh, although that game may have really challenging logistics from what I read about the Hurricanes being at home.  The Women will certainly be hosting NCAA games over the weekend at Reynolds.
    a road trip to Georgetown would make more sense for the team (in terms of a learning experience) anyway. Saxa Hoya will beat us no matter where we play. Too big for us to handle.
    PackPAC said:
    Anybody got a line on tickets?  I assume they will be tight since it is played in Reynolds.  It's not the NCAA but it's still Wolfpack BBall, will consider going to show some support.  Maybe Wolfpack Club only?
    Update on Tickets.  If you are a WPC member, then they are going to do the "selection, based on Priority Club number.....and ANY special requests at 10:00".  After that selection is completed, then the remainder will be distributed in "first come, first served" basis.

I decided to take my GS and an overnight guest and need special seating near bottom or front to keep from tying up 3 in the handicap area.

so....general sales begin later in the day
  • Wolfblood86Wolfblood86 Posts: 111
    Texpack said:
    If we win we would play the winner of Georgetown and somebody in Raleigh, although that game may have really challenging logistics from what I read about the Hurricanes being at home.  The Women will certainly be hosting NCAA games over the weekend at Reynolds.

Carmichael gym baby! We could put up some portable bleacher seats. Only $1,000 per ticket for an intimate and once in a lifetime experience!
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 669PFN Referee
    Seems to me if the Clemson game should have been a loss then U Va game should be a win.
  • I'm sure I am unique in this, but I actually am happy the Pack is going to the NIT.  Yeah, it's the loser tournament, but I'd rather them be in a tournament they could actually win than lose in the first weekend in the big dance.  I continue to assume the goal is to build a program, and though winning the NIT is not as big as winning the NCAA, there are only three teams that can finish the season on a winning note, and I'd love the Pack to be one of them.  The press they would get winning the NIT would be far more significant than the press they would get being one of 48 teams to lose that first weekend in the NCAA.

My $0.02....
    So who won the NIT last year?
  • Penn State, who we beat this year...and yes, I cheated, I looked it up.  But I'm not a high school senior or college transfer looking for a team to play for next year.  I also had to look up who won the NCAA Tourney last year, since I didn't bother to watch it once State lost.
    We are not going to win it, and the NIT is definitely a black mark on your program, no matter how well you do.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,464PFN Referee
    Wulfpack said:
    So who won the NIT last year?
    Exactly.
    Nobody cares about the NIT. Past winners are Penn State, TCU, George Washington, Stanford, Minnesota and Baylor. Yawwwwwwn. 
  • PackPACPackPAC Posts: 212
    PackPAC said:
    Update on Tickets.  If you are a WPC member, then they are going to do the "selection, based on Priority Club number.....and ANY special requests at 10:00".  After that selection is completed, then the remainder will be distributed in "first come, first served" basis.

I decided to take my GS and an overnight guest and need special seating near bottom or front to keep from tying up 3 in the handicap area.

so....general sales begin later in the day
    Thanks Roo, got my tickets this afternoon.  I plan to support the team as long as they're in it.  Nobody's happy they didn't make the NCAA but as a fan and alum I'll support the Pack in person anytime I can make it.  
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 233
    I’d buy my first and last nit ticket ever if I could throw things at Yurtseven for 2 hours.