Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Wilbur's BBQ closed

Comments

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,118
    edited March 15
    Oh Wilber!
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 587
    Did Wilber's take credit cards?  It's been a few years since I stopped there, but I seem to remember it as a pretty cash heavy business.
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 182
    Son is a pilot based at Seymour Johnson AFB-have enjoyed meals at Wilbur's for years...
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,113
    Top FIVE things you do NOT do....

Call a foul that ORW & Mikey are going to scowl at and punish you later
    Spit into the wind.
    Tug on Superman’ cape
    Pull the mask off the Lone Ranger
    Fail to submit Employees quarterly withholding payment to NCDOR & Fed IRS.

The number one prosecuted and “we will send you to JAIL” offense with the IRS & any State DOR is failure to submit quarterly withhold payments.  That is considered as GRAND THEFT as you STOLE your employee’s “tax payments”.  High can chime in, but my wife worked for a major CPA firm and if the company was destitute or near bankruptcy, the CPAs would tell them to beg or borrow or run up credit card debts and make the final submission, otherwise, they would charge extra billable hours to and from their cell to offer financial advice.

Big TIME mistake.....really BIG.  Hope that they DID MAKE  the payments and only failed to pay their taxes....but the closure is portending of further legal issues.
  • HighstickHighstick PFN Referee Posts: 230

Spit into the wind.
    Tug on Superman’ cape

The number one prosecuted and “we will send you to JAIL” offense with the IRS & any State DOR is failure to submit quarterly withhold payments.  That is considered as GRAND THEFT as you STOLE your employee’s “tax payments”.  High can chime in, but my wife worked for a major CPA firm and if the company was destitute or near bankruptcy, the CPAs would tell them to beg or borrow or run up credit card debts and make the final submission, otherwise, they would charge extra billable hours to and from their cell to offer financial advice.

Big TIME mistake.....really BIG.  Hope that they DID MAKE  the payments and only failed to pay their taxes....but the closure is portending of further legal issues.
    Or sales tax.  Unusual that IRS hasn't gone after them if it was payroll taxes unless he was paying IRS and not paying the State.  Hard to advise a client when they won't listen sometimes.  
    Highstick said:

Spit into the wind.
    Tug on Superman’ cape

Or sales tax.  Unusual that IRS hasn't gone after them if it was payroll taxes unless he was paying IRS and not paying the State.  Hard to advise a client when they won't listen sometimes.  
    If I had the wings of an angel (dove?), over these prison walls I would fly
  • HighstickHighstick PFN Referee Posts: 230
    Agreed...Good song from my youth!!!  We always joked about restaurants that don't use a cash register consistently.  One for the guv'ment, one for me...with the cash received.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 587
    Stick:  Agreed. That was exactly my point on the credit cards vs cash only.  Whenever I see a cash only business these days, I always wonder.  Yeah there’s the 3-5% and that can make or break when margins are as tight as they are for restaurants, but really if the food is priced correctly it should not matter.

It saddens me that a place that I remember as being so “loud and proud” for State is now gone. I haven’t been in years though so I cannot speak to how the restaurant has recently been run.
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 182
    I'd like to have that Struttin' Wolf hanging on the wall over the 2-seat table near the front door...
  • YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 361
    A good many Que joints have been feeling the crunch.  Pork prices fluctuate as do other costs.  The primary audience is 40+ years old and not prone to accept rising prices too well.  With a place that doesn't even accept debit cards you can lose a lot of business, fewer and fewer people, even the 40+ crowd have moved to plastic for many reasons.  Last time I was in Wilbur's was two years ago, lot's of empty seats on a Saturday for dinner.  20 years ago you'd have had to wait on a seat.  
    Same deal in the Raleigh area.  Danny’s opened in Cary.  IBMer did it as a sideline.  Got great reviews.  Explanded to larger location near Morrisville and also in Durham.  Morrisville closed.  Durham only lunch.

Que is going down the same path as “baccy”...

McCalls got hit by plane.  Rebuilt, I thought.  Closed after last customer cleared on a Tuesday night.  Sign up...GONE.
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 253
    Here in the Triad, all of the core BBQ restaurants aren't open on Sundays and don't sell beer.  Still a huge fan of Country BBQ, but they might get more of my business if they changed that.  Not sure how that impacts things, but it sure can't help the bottom line.
  • packplantpathpackplantpath Posts: 13
    edited March 16
    Same deal in the Raleigh area.  Danny’s opened in Cary.  IBMer did it as a sideline.  Got great reviews.  Explanded to larger location near Morrisville and also in Durham.  Morrisville closed.  Durham only lunch.

McCalls got hit by plane.  Rebuilt, I thought.  Closed after last customer cleared on a Tuesday night.  Sign up...GONE.
    I hope not.  If BBQ goes the way of tobacco you won't find any left in North Carolina very soon.  TObacco heading out and taking a lot of Farmers with it.  They can't get their operating loan this year without the contract.

And rumor around town is that after Wilbur's wife passed away, things have been changing.  She likely kept up with the books.

As for the food,I was there two weeks ago for lunch and it was just as good as ever.

Sounds like Wilbur’s wife had culinary skills of the financial acumen as well as in the kitchen.

Probably hired a kid out of tech school with a laptop and Quicken Books....

Rest is history....
  • pakfanistanpakfanistan Posts: 88

I hope not.  If BBQ goes the way of tobacco you won't find any left in North Carolina very soon.  TObacco heading out and taking a lot of Farmers with it.  They can't get their operating loan this year without the contract.

And rumor around town is that after Wilbur's wife passed away, things have been changing.  She likely kept up with the books.

As for the food,I was there two weeks ago for lunch and it was just as good as ever.

There are other crops that could take the place of tobacco if we could get our heads out of our asses.
  • There are other crops that could take the place of tobacco if we could get our heads out
    of our asses.
    I've been hearing that my whole life.  Eventually it will be true.

Current state of affairs, it is NOT hemp, contrary to what it may look like at farm shows.  I know lots of Farmers that grew it last year.  Have tens of thousands tied up and delivered the crop.  Haven't been paid a dime.  About half of them are growing again this year.  I think they are crazy.  Not sure why they money isn't forthcoming.  Haven't asked around.

The burch boys and cottles have made a nice spot for themselves in the area.  Heck, in this area Shawn Mitchell has probably made the biggest splash lately making a fortune on Turkey littler.  And very little of it is going to farmers.  Headed to New Bern to be burned into electricity at craven county wood energy.  Rumor in the neighborhood says that a single tractor trailer load is worth $750 for electricity.  And he is sending about 15-25 loads per day