Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Washington DC

RickRick PFN Referee Posts: 1,125
I am asking my favorite community...
I decided to take the kids on a last minute trip to DC. Give me some advice. Where to go. What to see. Etc.

Thanks

Comments

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 671
    Holocaust museum

Air and space Museum 

capital

Smithsonian

Lincoln Memorial

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,118
    The air and space portion of the Smithsonian. It’s been almost 50 years and I still remember it. 
  • RickRick PFN Referee Posts: 1,125
    I assume it's almost impossible to get into the White House
    And thanks so far
    Amy good restaurants?
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 253
    Rick, depends upon kid's ages, preferences,  but ...

Smithsonian has a lot to offer for any family.  I like to mix it up and stretch their minds, whether with art or history (something they might not pick).

Spy museum is kind of cool and right around the corner from Ford's Theater too.

If the weather is ok, walking on the mall you can spend varying amounts of time at the memorials and can zip over to the WH for a pic or two. If you stand on the wall or the fence, you will draw "extra" attention.  Trust me on this. Lincoln Memorial is a personal fave.  Awe inspiring for its content and its sheer scale.

Check out the WH Visitor's Center next door in lieu of the actual WH unless you're able to get tix.  
  • wirogerswirogers Posts: 47
    Rick,  Save some money and stay outside DC in either New Carrolton, College Park, or Arlington.  From there you can catch the Metro into DC (easy to use and ride).  I recommend staying in the mall area.  You have the Mint, the Smithsonian, the Washington monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Capital, the White House, the Vietnam and WW2 Memorials all in a reasonable walk. 

Spend two days in town at these sites.  Then on the last day as you are leaving town, leave the hotel early and go out Interstate 66 towards Dulles Airport and go to the larger Air and Space Museum.  They have moved most of the old A&S that used to be downtown out to this new area, it is worth the drive.  
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,113
    The WWII memorial is simple and moving.  Those of us that were Pre Baby Boomers or Baby Boomers can relate to it.  Also some lesser know memorials in the area.

I agree on staying outside and riding Metro in.  Much better.  You have to have a relative die and leave you a 20 minute spot in their will...
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 253
    Old town Alexandria always seemed nice.  Been a few years since I've been, but the wife enjoys it for business.  Other than a good selection of Chardonnays and friendly people, not sure what that actually means though.  :smile:

Any feel for how much you can see in a day? I am a planner when it comes to vacations so I am trying to maximize what we can see.

• 4in124in12 Posts: 108
    Check metro before you finalize your plans. Some of the lines are going down for maintenance. 
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,118
    4in12 said:
    Check metro before you finalize your plans. Some of the lines are going down for maintenance. 
    My sister and BIL stayed in Baltimore and rode the metro and it worked great for them.  
  • 4in124in12 Posts: 108
    Here's a link to the scheduled outages: https://www.wmata.com/service/track-work.cfm
  • Wolfblood86Wolfblood86 Posts: 100
    edited March 12
    Rick said:
    I assume it's almost impossible to get into the White House
    And thanks so far

It's not that hard. You don't even need the popular vote to get in! Hey ho! But kidding aside, my vote would be Smithsonian, Holocaust museum, and there is a world class zoo with pandas. I don't think anyone has mentioned the zoo yet.

My wife and I always do ghost tours wherever we go. https://washington.org/visit-dc/ghost-tours-washington-dc

• WoodWolfWoodWolf Posts: 3
    The National Archives a block off of the Mall has the original Constitution, Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights among other notable items. Arlington National Cemetery is always a great place to gain perspective. 
  • oldwolfoldwolf Posts: 87
    A few years ago, we did a tour of the Supreme Court.  That was very interesting and informative.

there are good cool tours of the Library of Congress that we also did.
  • YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 361
    edited March 12
    Smithsonian is a day by itself.  Archives is must IMO.  Staying south of the city is a good idea.  On your last day go to Mount Vernon.  Out of everything I've ever visited Monticello is the best.  You'll come away with a whole new outlook on who was probably the most significant President out of the first 10.  Jefferson was probably the sharpest cookie in that jar by far.  Unfortunately it's not in DC.
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 195
    All of these are good. Maybe I'm morbid, and you need something uplifting for kids, but the changing of the guard at Arlington and the Holocaust Museum get my vote.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 PFN Referee Posts: 1,894
    Old town Alexandria always seemed nice.  Been a few years since I've been, but the wife enjoys it for business.  Other than a good selection of Chardonnays and friendly people, not sure what that actually means though.  :smile:
    yeah, Old Town is really the only thing I liked from my 18 months in the area (worked DC/Tyson's Corner, lived in Springfield).  We also stayed in Alexandria when we took the kids there.  But fuck if I can recall what we did.

Rude-assed place, for sure.  Really made me appreciate North Cakalaky.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 PFN Referee Posts: 1,894
    44rules said:
    All of these are good. Maybe I'm morbid, and you need something uplifting for kids, but the changing of the guard at Arlington and the Holocaust Museum get my vote.
    it's not the kind of thing we can ever let ourselves forget.  Kids should go out into the world with their eyes wide open.

My kids mentioned wanting to see the Holocaust but I am not a fan of depressing things.

We are leaving Sunday. My wife and daughter are really excited my 14 yo son is meh.

Thanks for all the help.

• Try to eat here..it's really cool.

https://www.ebbitt.com/

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 182
    Arlington and the Tomb of the Unknown is worth the short trip-if there is time, call your local House Member or Senator's office to arrange an inside tour of the Capitol and Office Buildings...
  • HighstickHighstick PFN Referee Posts: 230
    See the Lincoln Memorial and walk across the street to see the Vietnam Wall...Arlington is great as is the Smithsonian.  The zoo used to be pretty good, but I have not been there in a long time.  Yea, don't stay in DC, but if you do, try out the Mayflower Hotel.  I have not stayed there since 87 or so, but it was neat and very historical.  
  • wirogerswirogers Posts: 47
    So Rick, how did the trip go?

On it right now.
    Thanks everyone. My 14 yo is bored but everyone else is having fun. Going to Arlington and then doing a bike tour today